Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rim Locks ?

Go down 
+5
Fanatic
dtx
njbill
Mr.Metal
mhm2a
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mhm2a

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 2:02 pm

I am getting ready to order up some tires (Maxxis Desert IT) and HD tubes and wondered who has installed rim locks on their mostly off road WR's. I know they will bounce a little on the road due to the balancing issue, but I am used to that since my other bike has rim locks. Whats the skinny.....yes or no.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 2:09 pm

I think you'll get some varying opinions here. If you run low tire pressures or lower it in rough terrain, I think most will argue that rim locks are a good thing. I personally don't deflate my tires (much) since I do a lot of highway and just deal with the slightly worse traction in the dirt.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 2:39 pm

I have rim locks on Kenda Trakmasters. I ride some deep sand with 11 psi so it was a necessity. Some of our rides include asphalt sections as connectors between forests. Initially, I did not balance the wheels. Last week, I broke down and installed some crimp-on lead weights for balancing... much better on asphalt.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 7:27 pm

with 755 gold screws,i cannot get the 250 to spin the tire on the rim. thought i would rip out a valve stem,just never could.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 9:34 pm

dtx wrote:
with 755 gold screws,i cannot get the 250 to spin the tire on the rim. thought i would rip out a valve stem,just never could.

I think low pressures are the biggest culprit. What tire pressures are you running with the screws?
Back to top Go down
Fanatic

Fanatic

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:26 am

I run a rim lock with my trackmaster, because I run low pressure off road. Mine is balanced with tape weights, and dont really get any vibration on the road.
Back to top Go down
Skip

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 7:15 am

I run one in the back just incase I get a flat I can get back without spinning the tyre. Front I can deal with. I run 16psi rear and 18psi front in the trails. Never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
BigBird

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 8:27 am

Have you considered Tubliss?
Back to top Go down
mhm2a

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 3:54 pm

Thanks for the insight......I think I am gonna run one on the rear and leave the front alone.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Suggest you run them on both. Either way do not use a stem nut (out side of the rim) so if you DO get a flat you won't spin the stem off of the tube (potentially a ride saver).

As for balancing, try solder wraps on the spokes. Terminate the ends (fuse the solder with an iron) so they don't come off.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 6:48 am

njbill wrote:
dtx wrote:

I think low pressures are the biggest culprit. What tire pressures are you running with the screws?

You are correct,run from 14-28 psi. Soft tire for hard ice,hard tire for soft ice. Traction is over the top,if you have never done this ya would not think so.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:42 am

Put two rim locks in, and they balance themselves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rim Locks ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rim Locks ?   Rim Locks ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rim Locks ?
Page 1 of 1