Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Custom Retractable Windshield

Go down 
+17
Tonymorr
gatorfan
dc4stroke
VDiddy
skierd
Olmer
TheBIGD
taoshum
R_Lefebvre
Ian B
router.exe
Chief_Lee_Visceral
toast
Mr. Fisherman
texasreb
john92
SheWolf
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ian B

Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 1:06 pm

taoshum wrote:
How much weight does it add? Up high and on the front... every oz is amplified. I guess it is either the WS or earplugs for a long hiway stretch though...

It adds about 3 lbs. The extra weight is mainly in the lights themselves. Probably about the same as riding with a full tank bag.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm interested... I'm really interested below $300 or less, even one headlight is enuf for me... let us know when they are available... Yamaha Blue?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 11:27 pm

More pics from Ian! Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 525406

Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 Dscn0410

Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 Dscn0411

Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 Dscn0412

Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 Dscn0413

It's going to be left plain white and come with a decal kit that the owner can decide whether or not they want to use. Looks like this will be released to everyone in two weeks. Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 61865

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 12:53 am

Damn that looks nice.
I won't be long now. hope to post my own pics soon.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 9:23 pm

So...Ian has stated that he can do a group discount for us if we want in on the new fairing. Cost will be $430 as discount, compared to the $465 normal price, from now until the end of August. Color will be white, and stickers will be in the kit for the end user to decide if they want to use them or not. Anyone interested? Let me know and I'll put you on the list. Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 61865

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 12:51 pm

That is a great deal!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:22 pm

Fish you need to post yours. I heard you got a swap. Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 810411

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:58 pm

It left Canada today Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 379944
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 2:32 pm

I keep looking out the window at every passing truck... which sux cause it is garbage day and there are lots of trucks.
I did, however, get my friends shop and we Frankensteined a new and more comfy seat. pics later.... I just heard another truck. Gotta go look.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Well none of the last 23 trucks were here to bring me a package. I think Clappedr6 and I are going to go for a ride till it gets here.
Gotta get some seat time on the new saddle my friend just made for me...

Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 951672703_hToCh-M

I think it turned out pretty good Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 525406
Back to top Go down
TheBIGD

TheBIGD

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 9:30 pm

wow, this is a definite to add to the list of "over the winter" mods..... very nice piece Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 61865
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:54 am

Got the package. Got my back side kicked.
Sometimes simple things just aren't or maybe I am missing something in translation.
Back at it soon and looking forward to posting up pics when it is done.

It sure looks nice.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: I   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Well... one last trip to the hardware store and I am done. PiC's and report to follow.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 3:56 am

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 10:34 am

Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 379944 Thanks for the writeup Fish, that was an interesting read. Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 61865

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Metamorphosis complete!
No more blue Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 379944

Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 955483584_YU2Xc-M
Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 955187256_nKXF6-M
Back to top Go down
Olmer

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 9:28 am

SheWolf wrote:
So...Ian has stated that he can do a group discount for us if we want in on the new fairing. Cost will be $430 as discount, compared to the $465 normal price, from now until the end of August. Color will be white, and stickers will be in the kit for the end user to decide if they want to use them or not. Anyone interested? Let me know and I'll put you on the list. Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 61865

Hello SheWolf,

I'm interested for a white one (shipping to France is OK ?)

Regards,

Olivier.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 10:48 am

Done and done. Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 61865

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 4:02 pm

I'd like to see a comparison of the stock headlight's beam vs. this. Might be something nice for winter and traveling, but I'd want it to be at least as bright, if not brighter, than stock.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 5:33 pm

skierd wrote:
I'd like to see a comparison of the stock headlight's beam vs. this. Might be something nice for winter and traveling, but I'd want it to be at least as bright, if not brighter, than stock.

I don't have the stock lights, I have the HIDs and I can tell you I am beyond impressed. I have NEVER had better lighting on a bike EVER. It is unbelievable. The reflection from road signs with the brights on is enough to make me squint. I am delighted. Bring on the night. The only problem is that I can see bugs from at least 100 yards away as they kamikaze into the bright light Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 810411

With the wind screen in the fully raised position I have very little drag on the visor of my off road helmet, love that and for longer trips it will be nice to have the wind off my chest. I am looking forward to not getting pelted by rain to the face too.

I thought the stock lights were pretty good on this bike. Until I had experienced these HIDs the best lighting
i had had on a bike was on my Vstrom. This fairing with the HIDs is way way better.
If you search on the ADV site you will see some pretty good comparisons that others have posted that show the difference. That is kind of why I didn't take before and afters. It had already been done and I was chomping at the bit to get it done for a trip I had planned. That trip didn't happen for other reasons but I am happy to have this install done and looking forward to lots more riding now. This will certainly widen my riding season with the wind shield as I hate getting pelted in the nose with rain.

As far as the lights... I am more inclined to ride at night and am actually looking forward to trying a trail or two. Something I would not consider with the stock lighting.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:07 am

I can't stop riding at night now... loving it...

I put the Motard wheels and tires back on. Too much fun. This fairing made an already great bike even better.
Next weekend I should be able to get it off onto a trail or two. If it can be broken I am the man to do it. See my avitar Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 851577
Back to top Go down
Ian B

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 11:18 pm

Mr. Fisherman wrote:
skierd wrote:

I don't have the stock lights, I have the HIDs and I can tell you I am beyond impressed. I have NEVER had better lighting on a bike EVER. It is unbelievable. The reflection from road signs with the brights on is enough to make me squint. I am delighted. Bring on the night. The only problem is that I can see bugs from at least 100 yards away as they kamikaze into the bright light Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 810411

With the wind screen in the fully raised position I have very little drag on the visor of my off road helmet, love that and for longer trips it will be nice to have the wind off my chest. I am looking forward to not getting pelted by rain to the face too.

I thought the stock lights were pretty good on this bike. Until I had experienced these HIDs the best lighting
i had had on a bike was on my Vstrom. This fairing with the HIDs is way way better.
If you search on the ADV site you will see some pretty good comparisons that others have posted that show the difference. That is kind of why I didn't take before and afters. It had already been done and I was chomping at the bit to get it done for a trip I had planned. That trip didn't happen for other reasons but I am happy to have this install done and looking forward to lots more riding now. This will certainly widen my riding season with the wind shield as I hate getting pelted in the nose with rain.

As far as the lights... I am more inclined to ride at night and am actually looking forward to trying a trail or two. Something I would not consider with the stock lighting.

The HIDs are a bit brighter than the standard halogens that the kit comes with, but the twin halogens are at least 3 times brighter than stock anyway ! I will be doing some before and after pics this weekend and post them up. Whilst the HIDs are the ultimate, nobody would ever be disappointed with the stock halogens for less $$. The Yams alternator easily copes with the twin 65w lights, but the HIDs only draw 35w each.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 1:34 am

I am sure you are right and had I not bought a used set with the HIDs already on them I likely would have struggled with the upgrade, but now that I have them I am hooked.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 10:55 am

Saw the vendor's thread on ADV which answered my other question, is there a cutoff for the low beam so this thing isn't blinding everything riding down the road, and the answer looks to be yes. Riding home last night was darker than I remember, might need to get one of these sooner than later...
Back to top Go down
Ian B

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 12:04 pm

skierd wrote:
Saw the vendor's thread on ADV which answered my other question, is there a cutoff for the low beam so this thing isn't blinding everything riding down the road, and the answer looks to be yes. Riding home last night was darker than I remember, might need to get one of these sooner than later...

There are no blinding issues with the lights as long as they are adjusted correctly. They are DOT approved lights (and this is stamped on them) and we wire them so that the low beam remains on at all times and the high beam comes on in addition when switched.

Ian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Retractable Windshield   Custom Retractable Windshield - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Retractable Windshield
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next