Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection

Go down 
+6
SteveO
Machtig
njbill
malibu_dan
Boondocker
kenner
10 posters
AuthorMessage
kenner

kenner

Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection Empty
PostSubject: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 pm

Anyone run a Leatte ADVenture neck brace? I'm a safety professional by trade BUT that doesn't stop me from riding hard and I do occasionally go down .....so the idea of protecting my neck is very appealing. I don't ride moto-x style (keep my wheels on the ground for the most part)...mostly dirt roads and in the woods. I like what i've read on-line about the brace but wanted to hit up my fellow WRR riders to see if any of you use one and what you think.
Back to top Go down
kenner

kenner

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 1:36 pm

I guess it's Leatt ...no 'e' at the end.

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php?page_id=43&id=3
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Leatt Adventure Neck Brace   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 3:43 pm

I too have been considering getting this piece of safety equipment, so I'm interested in any feedback since I have none to offer yet. No one I ride with has one, so I can't even offer second-hand commentary. The other piece of personal safety equipment on my list is a "pressure suit" - full armor in a tight fitting mesh "shirt". For someone wanting both of these items, a piece of advice I've heard is that it is wise to make sure that they coexist well on your body. In other words, if you're buying both, try them on together. If you already own one, wear it while you test fit the other. I'll be paying a visit to my local Cycle Gear shop soon to check these things out. The fit is too critical to buy online without knowing exactly what I want. Cycle Gear frequently runs dollar or percent off single item coupons. So I may not buy everything all at once, but I'll sure try them on all at once.
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:34 pm

Wow, I don't know if I can express how absolutely I believe this is a necessary piece of equipment for off-inducing riding. It was the first piece of safety equipment I bought for my son and myself (after helmets and jackets with armor) when we got our WRR's. The Adventure is not a beastly price-point, and it's very adjustable. The only sniggle I have with it is my Cardo Scala2 headset catches on the brace when I turn to the left. The Scala hangs below the helmet on that side. I may remount it like Pax did (ADV forum) a little higher by bolting the mount thru the helmet shell.

We just ordered RockGardn Flak Jackets for use in hot weather because they seem to be the best price-point/fit for body armor that integrates well with the Leatt. Troy Lee has a new Rincon Flack Jacket out that actually has a slot in the spine protector in the back for the Leatt, but it's priced a hefty $100 over the RockGardn.

The one who got me seriously looking at the Leatt and reading up on it was Dr. Rock with his Mobius RR on ADV.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344776

It only takes a minor off and hitting wrong to wind up paralyzed for life... just sayin'!
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 11:08 pm

I hope everyone who reads this buys a neck brace... tomorrow.

I am that guy; the guy who should be paralyzed but is not... because of a neck brace; not even a real expensive one. It was August 2005 and I was out for a trail ride with several friends. No one knows for sure what happened because I was last in line. When they found me I was unconscious and my body was convulsing. The best guess is that I went over the handlebars and my hands got tangled in the hand guards. The neurosurgeon at the trauma center was sure that I went head first into the ground. My helmet and right shoulder received a massive impact. I had broken my eye socket and the sinus bone. The neurosurgeon told my wife, that based on my injuries, he was very surprised that i did not suffer spinal hyper-extension. She showed him the neck brace and he said I was a very lucky man to be wearing the neck protector.

Do yourself a favor, buy a neck brace tomorrow and wear it every time you ride. All of my close friends wear them because I would not stop pushing the issue.

malibu_dan wrote:
Wow, I don't know if I can express how absolutely I believe this is a necessary piece of equipment for off-inducing riding. It was the first piece of safety equipment I bought for my son and myself (after helmets and jackets with armor) when we got our WRR's. The Adventure is not a beastly price-point, and it's very adjustable. The only sniggle I have with it is my Cardo Scala2 headset catches on the brace when I turn to the left. The Scala hangs below the helmet on that side. I may remount it like Pax did (ADV forum) a little higher by bolting the mount thru the helmet shell.

We just ordered RockGardn Flak Jackets for use in hot weather because they seem to be the best price-point/fit for body armor that integrates well with the Leatt. Troy Lee has a new Rincon Flack Jacket out that actually has a slot in the spine protector in the back for the Leatt, but it's priced a hefty $100 over the RockGardn.

The one who got me seriously looking at the Leatt and reading up on it was Dr. Rock with his Mobius RR on ADV.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344776

It only takes a minor off and hitting wrong to wind up paralyzed for life... just sayin'!

Last edited by njbill on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kenner

kenner

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 10:57 am

Doesn't get much more convincing than that! Thanks for sharing your story. I placed an E-bay bid on a Leatte ADVenture this morning....won't have it by tommorows ride but i'm looking forward to having this added protection when it arrives.
Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection 983293
Back to top Go down
Machtig

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 1:11 am

I have the Leatt Adventure. I wear it every time I hit dirt. I should probably wear it on the street, but I don't usually unless I'm on the way to the dirt. I have heard the Leatt will save you neck but you will likely break your collar bone. A fine trade off in my book. What I really like about it is you don't even realize its on when you are wearing it.

Get it.
Back to top Go down
SteveO

SteveO

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 10:15 am

While i'm new to adventure riding' i'm not new to dirt bikes. My previous dirt bike was a WR250F. My last Harescramble was in Farmington, NM and was one of the most spectacular crashes i've had to date. Fortunately, i had a Leatt neck brace on.

I was pogoed off the bike when the rear tire hit a large rock at about 45mph. I flew over the handlebars, and landed square on my helmet. My body didn't stop skidding across the ground until 80 feet later. When i did stop, i had two broken ribs....but that is all. The Leatt really saved me from death or living the rest of my life in a wheel chair.

These protective braces can be a life saver.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: outerwear   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 10:32 am

I now have a Leatt neck brace and a RockGardN Flak Jacket. I'm happy to have the protection and pleased that it is comfortable to wear.

As I write this, it's July in Southern Nevada, so I've been wearing that gear with but a polyester surf shirt underneith. The mesh flak jacket is not too happy to be snagged by bushes, so I need to wear something over it. I don't feel a fashion need to go with a moto style jersey and don't need a protective motorcycle jacket. I'm thinking about light BDU type jacket made of rip-stop fabric if I can find one that doesn't look too GI Joe. I like pockets. Suggestions anyone?
Back to top Go down
kenner

kenner

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:46 am

I also recently purchased and received my Leatt brace. I wore it for a 1 hr. road ride to the woods yesterday...2 hours in tight single track and then 1 hour ride back home...only time I noticed the brace at all was on the road if I wanted to crank my head to look way over my shoulder...it restricted the head turn a little bit.......but that was more than tollerable. All in all i'm really happy to have the added protection.
Back to top Go down
ekahwaty

ekahwaty

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 11:31 pm

I picked up an Adventure brace a week or so ago from Cycle Gear. They had a zero sales tax offer online, so the local store sold it to me at a 15% discount which beat that price. I used the brace for the first time this weekend. I was at Lake Gaston at the NC VA border. There is a local motocross track there and I rode the bike from the lake to the track.

I noticed that wearing the brace was very comfortable and I did not think about it. I was happy to have it on at highway speeds as it offered some support from wind and neck strain. On the track it was great, I never thought about it once. I hope to never find out how well it works, but it seems like a great technology advance to me.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 pm

kenner wrote:
I also recently purchased and received my Leatt brace. I wore it for a 1 hr. road ride to the woods yesterday...2 hours in tight single track and then 1 hour ride back home...only time I noticed the brace at all was on the road if I wanted to crank my head to look way over my shoulder...it restricted the head turn a little bit.......but that was more than tollerable. All in all i'm really happy to have the added protection.

I had the same sensation the first time or two. Since then, I've learned to lift my chin when I try to look over my shoulder. That's allowed me a few more degrees of unrestricted movement.

P.S. I tried some cheap BDUs as overwear, but they're not flexible enough and not cut to go over the mondo back protector on the RockGardN Flak Jacket. So I'm still in the market for something to wear over all my protective gear.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 8:37 pm

The Alpinestars neck brace maybe another good option for some. seems alot less restrictive for head movement, and the cheaper model (atleast here in Aust) is comparable to the cheaper Leatt. Also UFOPlast have just released here a decent looking roost deflector type armour designed to fit with these neck braces that seems to be retailing about 20% cheaper than the Thor or Fox's

Tim
Back to top Go down
cryptomundo

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 6:27 pm

I tried on an Omega the other day, fit was great, also fit nicely with the chest protector I had on. I have not tried the Leatt. I am trying to find a place that has one I can try on. Not sure which way I will go, Omega or Leatt.

I was doing some reading on TT and some guy posted these links

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/industry-news/2009/11/04/neck-protection-let-s-talk-about-it/1

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/industry-news/2009/11/04/neck-protection-let-s-talk-about-it-2
Back to top Go down
BigBird

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 10:30 pm

I used mine (Leatt Adventure) for the first time Saturday for about 6 hours and forgot it was even there 2 minutes after putting it on!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection   Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection Empty

Back to top Go down

Leatte-Brace AdVenture- Neck protection
Page 1 of 1