Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?

Go down 
+6
dtx
Jersey Devil
Matty
rydnseek
SheWolf
xcel
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Krabill

Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 9:56 am

910 miles last Saturday, 1,010 miles this Saturday and 3,318 miles total for the week. The bike performed flawlessly. My butt hurts, but no problems other than that. This little bike just goes, and goes, and goes. btw - I lead the group all week and the Harley guys kept complaining that I was going too fast for them, lol.

For these rides, I just use a little 70 oz camelbak. Plenty of opportunities to re-fill it and it's not so bulky that it gets in the way,
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 10:17 am

Hi Krabill:

Any other techniques or HW additions you can pass along to make my ride "More bearable... I meant to say more enjoyable" Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 61865

My Darien's Hip pads are so darn comfortable that I am thinking about the EVS' Ultimate for hip protection and moving the hip pads to my rear end with the extra hook and loop that Aerostich provided. The EVS' may be a bit warm for the afternoon during an 18-hour day however?

Also, what kind of jacket do you ride with and did your CamelBak get in the way of the air flow through the back?

TIA

Finally, the Harley guys must have thought WTF, how is this little WR250R kicking our @$$'es Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 93746

Wayne

Last edited by xcel on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 10:37 am

I had to contend with a huge temperature variation going from Michigan to Oklahoma, so it was a combination of layering and electrical supplements.

In the cold -

top - underarmor type t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, heated jacket liner, Fieldsheer mesh jacket, and a rain coat on top (as a windbreaker)

bottom - underarmor type underwear, bicycling shorts (a must), sweat pants, rain liners (again to keep the wind out), then First Gear mesh pants.

In the hot -

top - underarmor type t-shirt and my mesh jacket only

bottom - underarmor type underwear, bicycling shorts, and my mesh pants only

I went through all the variations of layering yesterday from having to turn on my heated jacket and grips, to having nothing on my my underclothes and mesh overgear.

As far as what I learned about comfort on the WRR/X is that the ONLY issue I had at all was with the seat. My arms never cramped, my legs never cramped, my neck never cramped, well . . . you get the idea.

Now keep in mind, I move around A LOT, so that might have something to do with it.

1) Crampbuster on the throttle is mandatory (you already have one, iirc)
2) If you took them off, you MUST put the passenger pegs back on. There are a bunch of different ways you can rest your feet between the standard pegs, the passenger pegs, and my feet will even fit with my heals on the pass pegs and my toes on the lower pegs. I just keep moving around to stay comfortable. I'll even stand up for a few miles at a time. I was a little concerned about all the standing up at first, but once my rear end got sore enough, I just didn't care anymore. Never had an issue.

I did buy a beaded seat cover, but I honestly don't know if it helped or hurt me. You might want to try some sort of seat cover, you might not.

I could do it all over again today knowing what I know now. Move around alot, and stop every 100 miles for a break. I could do it all day. The granola bars really helped, too. I ate one at every stop whether I wanted to or not and never felt hungry despite skipping both lunch and dinner.

I always use a camelbak when I'm riding anywhere further than to work and back, so I guess I'm just used to it being there. It won't be an issue unless you're using one of those ginormous backpack ones. A standard, small 70 oz cb won't be any problem at all.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi Krabill:

Thank you for the excellent details as it should help improve my own chances...

While on the GS last week, I was using the top of the cylinders to stretch out my legs forward as well as standing up about 2 or 3-minutes of every hour during the 600-miler with just 3-hours of sleep from the night before. Don't ask but it had something to do with a flat front and was not good at all! The WR will have a Ricochet Skid plate and I am hoping the wings protecting the water pump and side cases are large enough to rest my Ten and a half Rallye GS' on for a few minutes every hour? The WR is actually more stretched out than the 1200 GS OEM.

Thank you for the great idea about using those rear pegs to stretch out. I will head out next week for a shakedown cruise to try some positions for the long ride ahead while using the rear pegs for just that purpose! I am still considering wearing my steel toed work boots as they would be more comfortable for the long ride than the BMW boots but they lack the calf, shin, rain and cold protection. Still debating that one and if you have any thoughts either way, by all means pass them along.

I have a full set of Gerbings jacket, pants, T5 Gloves and sole liners so the WR will be wired but not capable of supplying the full output due to the WR's stator limitations.

For the Chicago to Boston IB and then the 100-mpg attempt back to Chicago segment, I am thinking about just taking the 30L SealLine filled w/ the Gerbings, my Aerostich liner, AirCore insulated pad, Sluberjack 30 degree bag laying lengthwise on the Fastway Cargo Rack to reduce aero drag. I will use the Giant Loop Fandango Tank bag for the granola bars, drinks, wallet, camera, paperwork, Alpinestar SP1 gauntlets for the 55 to 80 degree riding and other stuff... I am thinking of taking the risk of going tool-less as well. From Chicago to the West Coast, I will pack the Giant Loop Great Basin with more clothes, tools and strap on a tent in the SealLine for that portion of the ride.

All with either the HiViz or Sabre CamelBak and Aerostich's bite tube cap solution for standard plastic bottles. I am concerned about water from the containers pouring out around those plastic caps and filling the Fandango. Not good so a CamelBak sounds like the ticket? I just have to get used to wearing one as that will be very foreign to me? And or a cool plastic bottle cup holder that works. It looks like Scott has some kind of solution for that as I saw flashes of a gatorade bottle outside a tank bag in his vids last night.

TIA

Wayne

Last edited by xcel on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 2:25 pm

xcel wrote:
I have a full set of Gerbings jacket, pants, T5 Gloves and sole liners so the WR will be wired but not capable of supplying the full output due to the WR's stator limitations.

The WR has a 350 watt stator, which means you basically have no limits. It isn't like your typical underpowered stator you find on most dual sports. It will run jacket/pants/gloves/socks/and grips all at the same time without issue.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:12 pm

no construction on 90 exit 25b. that is the start or end of 88,east bound via 87 to 90 exit 8 mass this weekend. that is about 2hrs of your trip
good luck !
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi DTX:

Thank you for posting the I-90/I-87 construction detail!

This week I had an unexpected guest appear and I have to knock out a drive to North Central Iowa and back in the morning before I begin the WR250X - Adventure Tourer Project bike build unfortunately. Or fortunately depending on how you look at it?

Honda Is Entrusting CleanMPG With the 6-speed CR-Z For A Week Very happy

The 2011 Honda CR-Z
Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 2011_CR-Z_-_2010_HI-II_-Brother_and_Sister
The White one in front is the CR-Z of course Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 93746

I am planning the IB and begin the ride back on the weekeknd of the 24th or 31st so hopefully everything comes in by that time. I am awaiting the IMS 3.0 gallon tank for the final bike mod piece and am still still working on picking up a single Scala Rider G4, CamelBak HiViz or Saber and an Airhawk. The Canari Gel Liners arrived today and I have some EVS Ultimates coming in any day to see how they work during the ordeal as well?

I am going back and forth after what has been said about the CamelBak and standard bite tube???

Thanks again for the construction updates in NY as it will certainly help me move through the Albany area with the least amonut of trouble!

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?   Iron Butt on the X - Hydration? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Iron Butt on the X - Hydration?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2