Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????

Go down 
+7
njbill
inspector
xcel
KLRchickie
skierd
Joe Dirt
taoshum
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
taoshum

taoshum

MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? Empty
PostSubject: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm thinking about using 33oz MSR bottles for extra gas until the IMS tanks are available but I have a Q... is the opening in the MSR bottle large enough to fill it from the unleaded pump or do I need to use a funnel?????? MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? Icon_scratch

thanks, G.
Back to top Go down
Joe Dirt

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 pm

You'll need a funnel and a steady trigger finger. I've filled mine in the past by syphoning from my fuel tank which is much more manageable.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 4:35 pm

Fuel nozzles fit into my MSR bottles just fine. Works best on a pump that will let the flow go slow as .25gal comes out quite fast on full blast.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Google says the unleaded gas pump nozzle OD is 13/16". Leaded is 15/16" for reference. I don't know what diesel is? Anyone able to measure the MSR opening?
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 6:25 pm

I don't know the ID of the mouth of an MSR bottle - but I do know we've filled them as gas pumps many times & never had a problem with the nozzle fitting. Problems with fuel velocity & overfilling, yes! GAHHHH
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi All:

A 33 oz. MSR bottles opening is 1" ID and 1.25" OD. Unleaded nozzles fit nicely.

Good Luck

Wayne
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 6:59 pm

since we are talking about them. Can someone post a link to some cheap? Or is there website the best place to go. I need to pick up 2 of them.
Also, any gas leakage or even smell? They will go in my pack with food/water items close by.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 8:30 pm

I've never seen a problem with an MSR bottle leaking. It is a good idea to replace the o-ring that is the lid seal every so-many years, just to be safe.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 9:09 pm

best price I can find is at www.sunnysports.com $18 for big one, 33oz. might as well get 3, free shipping over $50.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 9:26 pm

taoshum wrote:
Google says the unleaded gas pump nozzle OD is 13/16". Leaded is 15/16" for reference.

Does anyone still sell leaded gas at a pump? I thought that was illegal.
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Primus fuel bottles work also:

• Volume: 0.35 L / 0.60 L / 1.00 L / 1.5 L
  • Weight: 2.6 oz / 4.2 oz / 5.8 oz / 7.5 oz
  • Size: 2.6" x 5.9" / 2.9" x 7.9" / 3.1" x 10.2" / 3.5" x 12.2"
  • Price: $13.95 / $14.95 / $15.95 / $17.95
I have the 1.5 liter size.

Great Outdoors Depot linky
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:42 pm

gees, I just ordered the MSR bottles... oh well. Primus would have been better I bet... at least they are 50% larger for about the same $$.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 5:48 pm

njbill wrote:
taoshum wrote:
Google says the unleaded gas pump nozzle OD is 13/16". Leaded is 15/16" for reference.

Does anyone still sell leaded gas at a pump? I thought that was illegal.

Race tracks, airports, and the odd sunoco station that sells race gas will still have leaded gas. 76 stations too I think, and there's at least one place around here with VP or the like at a pump. Off-road use only of course. deal
Back to top Go down
duanew

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 6:37 pm

taoshum wrote:
gees, I just ordered the MSR bottles... oh well. Primus would have been better I bet... at least they are 50% larger for about the same $$.

I read reviews before I bought my MSR bottle. Sure the Primus is larger but I read that the MSR are much stronger. I don't have any experience with the Primus but the MSR bottles are great.
Back to top Go down
texasreb

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 12:14 am

how do you carry the msr bottles around? There was a post that I can not find about tail racks and it had a picture of a flat gas can mounted on it. Any ideas what this can is?plastic
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 1:01 pm

rotopax offers a way to carry gas in a flat container that has an attachment system. MSR bottles are less $ and more flexible but you might like the flat stuff.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:39 am

Hi All:

Regarding mounting the MSR 33/30, I saw a post in the ADV thread where some ingenious SOB placed it where his OEM tool pouch was while the ringed cap was placed through the Helmet lock.

I will not bother to try and find the post w/ pic over there but it was the coolest thing and where I plan to mount the MSR on the WR250X.

Good Luck

Wayne
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:59 am

Kinda like this?
MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? IMG_0859

I've got a bracket I made for mine to do just that. MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? 61865

xcel

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:53 am

Hi SheWolf:

You may not be a SOB but how about a ... Never mind MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? 93746

Yup, that is exactly what I saw minus the under support bracket.

Good Luck

Wayne
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:45 pm

If you do order some, they will come with "child proof caps". You can ask for the "regular" caps instead which are much easier to remove and if the cap is on really tight, you can use a cheater to help. With the "child/geezer proof caps", if they are really tight, I don't know what you do... in my case, being sorta arthritic doesn't help at all. MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
texasreb

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 11:06 pm

Sweet shewolf/ that's great information for carrying bottles! Thank You.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 11:16 pm

No problem. Here's a couple more that are a bit closer.

MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? IMG_0861

MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? IMG_0860

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 12:14 am

Looks really nice and handy, even the bottle is blue... I do wonder what happens if you have to lay it down though... MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? 29721
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 12:32 am

I try not to do that regardless. MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? 93746 I've never gone into real gnarly stuff with it.

inspector

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:44 am

Where did you find the strap? I lost my original one and would love to find a replacement, or start seriously thinking about mounting the fuel bottle like you did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????   MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives????? Empty

Back to top Go down

MSR bottles until IMS tank arrives?????
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next