Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Bikes that you gave up

Go down 
+17
jason meacham
dc4stroke
cannon
calico jack
rider213
dtx
deerHater
Captain Midnight
galland1
wjfawb0
X-Racer
taoshum
inspector
SheWolf
Mr.Metal
aaronhall555
yellowredlight
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
yellowredlight

Bikes that you gave up Empty
PostSubject: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:00 am

Did anyone else give up a bike to get their WR???

I gave up a great bike, a 2008 Triumph Speed Triple 1050. My reasoning was insurance and my life/driving record. It was just imposable to ride her slow (it loved to be on one wheel), and i had too many run ins with the law. Plus i took a nasty crash on a 2007 triumph where I hit a deer going 60mph (not good).

Bikes that you gave up 24598_536178227790_41902113_31588890_13819_n

Bikes that you gave up N41902113_30998141_6114

I miss her Bikes that you gave up 490865
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:56 am

Yeah, I walked in to the dealer thinking I knew exactly what I wanted. I walked over to a WR450F and ask the sales rep, "What does it take to get this bike street legal in California?" his reply, "unfortunately, they stopped allowing this bike to be street legal in 2006(or something like that), but in Nevada it's still street legal...". My reply, "Well fuck my life, you're crushing my dreams. So what is the next best thing that is 'legal' in CA?", then he introduced me to the WRR. I wasn't to happy at first, but it started to grow on me. I went home thinking about is it what I really want, while comparing the WRR and WRF specs that I had printed out. I went back the next day and financed it. Over all I'd say I'm pretty happy with the WRR, but I still wish it was a 450....
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 1:04 pm

Hot damn man... that is a gorgeous Triple. But, as you said, life is more important that a pretty, fast bike. You may miss her, but at least you're not in a hospital bed, paralyzed for the rest of your life. I say you made the right choice.

I didn't really give up any bike, but I did sell my VTX1300 a little while back, part of which helped me to buy the WRR. I considered giving up my DL650, but I just can't part with that bike.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Yeah, I did.

Bikes that you gave up IMG_0420

1995 Suzuki RF600R. I modded that thing a whack too before I sold it.

inspector

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 2:13 pm

I still don't like to talk about that.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Well, I know with me it stung, but once I had my Monster I never looked back. Sure I miss the speed and stuff, but I also missed being able to follow guys on DS's onto trails. Bikes that you gave up 724854 For me, it was a perfect trade-off. Bikes that you gave up 61865

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 4:26 pm

I "gave up" a Kawasaki 1100; a Kawasaki KLR 650; a Yamaha TTR 250; and a 1982 Husky 430 WR; not all at once but spread over a few years... in exchange I got the WRR and a Road King. I'm very happy with both for way different reasons. I also plan to get a Jeep... these could be my last vehicles...that's weird to say but could easily be true.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:33 pm

MetalDude wrote:
....life is more important that a pretty, fast bike.

Life IS a pretty, fast bike ! ....or four.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:37 pm

But only if you're willing to pay the ultimate price for it. Everyone has a different definition of acceptable risk. To most people, having any motorcycle seems suicidal. We know there is some truth to that, but most of us go through life owning many great bikes and having more fun times than should be legally allowed. Still... some bikes are too much... some bikes require the kind of attention and respect that not everyone can give them... so I say, if your gut is telling you to tone down the Danger Zone, then you should listen to it. As we here know, there is LOTS of fun that can be had on a little 250 Bikes that you gave up 61865

X-Racer wrote:
MetalDude wrote:
....life is more important that a pretty, fast bike.

Life IS a pretty, fast bike ! ....or four.

Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
But only if you're willing to pay the ultimate price for it. Everyone has a different definition of acceptable risk. To most people, having any motorcycle seems suicidal. We know there is some truth to that, but most of us go through life owning many great bikes and having more fun times than should be legally allowed. Still... some bikes are too much... some bikes require the kind of attention and respect that not everyone can give them... so I say, if your gut is telling you to tone down the Danger Zone, then you should listen to it. As we here know, there is LOTS of fun that can be had on a little 250 Bikes that you gave up 61865

so true, that bike was amazing.... scary amazing. like fanning the clutch in 3rd @ 75mph equated to effortless wheelies that you could hold all day. I dont think there was a single time i got on that bike and DIDNT wheelie it.
dont get me wrong, I wheelie the WR just about every time but im putting them down at 45mph as apposed to 105mph
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 1:51 pm

That sounds really awesome... yet also a bit scary. I've been lusting after a Street Triple R for some time now, but I realize I'd never ride that bike to even 50% of its potential. I'm still trying to wheelie the WRR... I think gravity is holding on too tightly to my fat ass Bikes that you gave up 342500

yellowredlight wrote:

so true, that bike was amazing.... scary amazing. like fanning the clutch in 3rd @ 75mph equated to effortless wheelies that you could hold all day. I dont think there was a single time i got on that bike and DIDNT wheelie it.
dont get me wrong, I wheelie the WR just about every time but im putting them down at 45mph as apposed to 105mph
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 2:23 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
That sounds really awesome... yet also a bit scary. I've been lusting after a Street Triple R for some time now, but I realize I'd never ride that bike to even 50% of its potential. I'm still trying to wheelie the WRR... I think gravity is holding on too tightly to my fat ass Bikes that you gave up 342500

yellowredlight wrote:

lol im a bigger dude myself, use that weight to your advantage. Just lean back a little bit while poppin the clutch in second and she'll be sky high in no time! with my gearing (12-45) i can hold some mean 3rd gear wheelies
Back to top Go down
wjfawb0

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 11:13 pm

I didn't give up any bikes. I actually bought the WRR to get back into bikes. A few months later I bought another FZ1 as a stupid fast comfort bike. I've found myself riding the WRR more than the FZ1 just for the capability to go ride in that creek, or field, or gravel road.
Back to top Go down
galland1

galland1

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 11:43 am

Only one that hurt was a Honda Trail 70 at about 10 years old. I was a holy terror on it and mom and dad decided it had to go. Still remeber how big of a bad"ass" I was when I rode it. Bikes that you gave up 379944 I pretty sure I still hold the record for jumps and wheelies on a Trail 70. Bikes that you gave up 810411
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 7:05 pm

13 years on a XR650L . I am growing into the downsize idea. I am having more fun with less
anxieties.

Last edited by Captain Midnight on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:55 am

Mr.Metal wrote:
I've been lusting after a Street Triple R for some time now, but I realize I'd never ride that bike to even 50% of its potential.
I don't ride any of my bikes to their full potential. I have lots of friends that are faster than I am on my bikes. I don't care, I love riding my bikes.

For my WR250X I gave up my KLR. Eventually I'll get a set of R Wheeling wheels to really get dirty.
Meanwhile I'll take my 675 Street Triple R anywhere that I took the KLR, and the STripleR (105 HP) is a healluva lot more fun on asphalt then the KLR was. Bikes that you gave up 61865
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:27 pm

32 bsa,an a indian
Back to top Go down
rider213

rider213

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 11:50 am

I sold an 05 XR650L to buy this WR.

The XR was a fun/reliable DS, but felt stone age relative to the WR. (and the WR's easier to pick up once down)

No regrets. thumb
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: HD Nightster   Bikes that you gave up EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 am

I am a reformed Harley pilot. After my first long trip I realized that I wanted alot more in a Motorcycle instead of just good looks...

Bikes that you gave up 09030910
Bikes that you gave up User9310

Bikes that you gave up Img_6411
Back to top Go down
yellowredlight

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 1:35 pm

droooool droooool droooool droooool droooool droooool droooool droooool droooool droooool droooool droooool droooool

Man Jack... that is one DOPE looking nightster!!!! I've wanted a sporty for a few years now. Planing on one for next summer wink
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks, It was fun while it lasted but like I said...I did not want to go on another long trip with this bike. I take my WRR everywhere and dont worry about it getting dirty or scratched up. The good thing is that my neighbor bought it so I get to see it almost daily.
Back to top Go down
cannon

cannon

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 2:35 pm

That Speed Triple is unreal! I love the look of those bikes.

I just sold my Honda 599 and am currently in bike limbo until I pick up the 250x this weekend. Limbo sucks.

Here is the 599...great bike:

Bikes that you gave up IMG_3046

Bikes that you gave up IMG_3597b

Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptySun Sep 12, 2010 10:23 am

Give a bike up.................... scratch

To buy another......................... scratch

I've heard of that...................... scratch

I think? scratch

No.....I was lucky and just "add" the Yamaha. cheers
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 8:26 pm

I traded in my Susuki king quad 450 at the dealership for my 08 250r and then sold my 1984 KLR 600,,...............I went to the dealership to buy a DRZ400 but ended up with the 250,,I.m glad I made the right choice.
Back to top Go down
marty

marty

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 am

i sold a miata to buy my wr-x. since 2005 i've "given up" 1 yamaha FZ600, 2 honda cb-1s, 1 honda hawk gt, and 1 gsxr 600. i'm soon going to be giving up my VFR... although i'm procrastinating very badly when it comes to getting it ready for sale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bikes that you gave up   Bikes that you gave up Empty

Back to top Go down

Bikes that you gave up
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next