Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Hmmmmm...

Go down 
+11
njbill
taoshum
motokid
Krabill
Matty
skierd
Tammy
Mr.Metal
PooTeeTat
Dancamp
SheWolf
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:15 pm

I stopped by one of the local shops this morning and grabbed myself a couple of nice Yamaha blue gator nets. Had them on blowout so I couldn't refuse. Hmmmmm... 93746 After talking with a few ppl, it sounds like Yamaha's seriously considering a 450R...that and possibly having the 660 Tenere...maybe one, maybe both. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Hmmmmm... 163123

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Over here the papers are more than 200$ more for motorcycle over 400cc so I would prefer a 400cc over a 450cc.

Beside that, if the 450cc would be a little longer than the 250cc I don't know what I could do to get it. horse
Back to top Go down
PooTeeTat

PooTeeTat

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Just go ahead and dream big....
XT1200Z Super Ténéré

Hmmmmm... 2010-y10

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt1200z.aspx
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:58 pm

It'll be a while before (or if) we see that here....

Mr.Metal

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Am I the only one who wouldn't get a WR450R even if it was available right now? The bicycle-like handling and feeling of the 250 was one of the big selling points for me. The tame yet fun-up-top power was another. If I wanted a 450, I would have bought something orange.

Plus, honestly? As the saying goes, it's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. I'm keeping my 250, y'all can ride your 450's at 1/8th throttle all you want Hmmmmm... Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm quite happy with my little Monster. It does everything I need and want. Hmmmmm... 61865

Tammy

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 8:55 pm

if it was a WR450f with lights then yes. If it's a WR450R hell no...

Back to top Go down
skierd

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Of course I've already tossed the magazine, but I'm pretty sure Motorcyclist said we're getting the Super Tenere (the 1200) in 2011 in its review. thumb

And I'm one of those whose not terribly interested in a WR450R. Unless maybe they do something like Aprilia and make it a twin and not gain any weight.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
Am I the only one who wouldn't get a WR450R even if it was available right now? The bicycle-like handling and feeling of the 250 was one of the big selling points for me. The tame yet fun-up-top power was another. If I wanted a 450, I would have bought something orange.

Plus, honestly? As the saying goes, it's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. I'm keeping my 250, y'all can ride your 450's at 1/8th throttle all you want Hmmmmm... Icon_scratch

if and hopefully when it does come out... i'll keep my 250R for dirt and trails and get the 450 in the X trim. Sorry if i offend anyone, but the 250 is just too underpowered for the street and canyons. yes it'll do over 80mph. And once you get the bike up in the upper RPMS it is quick and performs great. but it's still a 250.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 11:31 pm

The only way I'd trade my 250 for a 450 is if the 450 has EVERYTHING the 250 does except with more hp. The smoothness of this little bike is one of my favorite points and if a 450 version comes out and vibrates like an "F" model, I wouldn't want it. Smoooooooth motor, long service intervals, and a huge electrical supply with more power . . . yes, please.

If it rides like a 450F, no way.
Back to top Go down
Matty

Matty

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 10:49 am

Krabill wrote:
The only way I'd trade my 250 for a 450 is if the 450 has EVERYTHING the 250 does except with more hp. The smoothness of this little bike is one of my favorite points and if a 450 version comes out and vibrates like an "F" model, I wouldn't want it. Smoooooooth motor, long service intervals, and a huge electrical supply with more power . . . yes, please.

If it rides like a 450F, no way.

exactly!!!! The fi, 6 speed, and long service intervals is why i got the wrr if they make a wr450x the same way, i'm sold.
Back to top Go down
PooTeeTat

PooTeeTat

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 11:48 am

SheWolf wrote:
I'm quite happy with my little Monster. It does everything I need and want. Hmmmmm... 61865

Hmmmmm... 986936

Everything????

Hmmmmm... 805204
Back to top Go down
PooTeeTat

PooTeeTat

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 11:55 am

I don't know if this is a highjack or not, since the thread title is "Hmmmmmm..."

Amazing how many of y'all think admiring another bike is cheating on your WR.

Hmmmmm... Yamaha10

Hmmmmm... Yamaha11

Hmmmmm... Yamaha12

Hmmmmm... Yamaha13
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 12:11 pm

PooTeeTat wrote:
Amazing how many of y'all think admiring another bike is cheating on your WR.

That is funny isn't it.

And to some extent I think many here are full of crap.
How many threads are based on "getting more power" from their 250?

It also seems like people assume a 450 is going to be 200 pounds heavier.

I'd love to see Yamaha offer something comparable to the Husqvarna 610 and KTM690SMC.

Even a 450 version would be awesome and I'd jump at the chance to own one if they brought them into our country.

Of course....I'm a 90% street rider, so I can sort of understand how the R riders who do much more off-road riding might feel a bit different.

Yamaha really needs to expand thier SUMO line of motorcycles. For real!

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 2:36 pm

Kinda depends on the power band, the weight and the $$. I coulda bought one of the orange ones or one of the red ones with 500-600-650 cc but I didn't because of the writeups by "bigdogadventures", Ramz and many others. I hope the Yammie Mammies keep the 450 under wraps for a few more years.
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
Am I the only one who wouldn't get a WR450R even if it was available right now?

no Hmmmmm... 61865
Back to top Go down
wjfawb0

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 7:23 am

I'd be ok with a 450, but I do like the power of the 250 for offroad riding. I jump on my FZ1 if I want to do a street only ride.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 8:29 am

taoshum wrote:
I hope the Yammie Mammies keep the 450 under wraps for a few more years.

Why?

Are you assuming that Yamaha would kill the 250r/x in order to bring a 450r/x in?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 11:21 am

motokid wrote:
taoshum wrote:
I hope the Yammie Mammies keep the 450 under wraps for a few more years.
Why?
Are you assuming that Yamaha would kill the 250r/x in order to bring a 450r/x in?
No, not unless sales for the 250 go to zero.  The dealer who sold me the 250 did say, however, he thought he could sell a hundred 450's for every 250 he has sold... everyone, according to him, who looks at a 250 says "I wish it were a 450".  Now that I have a 250, if they offered a 450 next year, I'm not going to buy it... but I bet a lot of people do.  It's hard to convince people that a 250 will be enough, especially with a 2 gallon tank, no skidplate, big heavy turn signals, no luggage rack, OEM passenger pegs, 22 Hp, air flapper w/o explanation, exhaust restriction w/o explanation, no tach, ... especially when most other DS motos have 600+ CC's, twice or more Hp, etc.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: why a 450?   Hmmmmm... EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Our WRs are not 225s. The feature of this bike that sets it apart is the motor, derived from a Yamaha R1 * .25. How does Yamaha improve on the displacement and keep the character? R1 * .50. That would be a 500cc parallel twin.

The 450 is backwards thinking, back to dirt bikes that is. I bought this bike because it's a dual sport, not a wanna-be street legal dirt bike. There are plenty of dirt bikes out there that are or can be made DOT compliant. Why wait? You can buy or make one now. The excellent motor and robust, fully suspended chassis is what makes this bike special and sets it apart from street legal dirt bikes.

I for one distain the 450 nomenclature as it reeks of dirt bike-ism. If Yamaha wants to grow the displacement of this bike and do it any justice, it had better be a 500cc parallel twin. That would be the genuine big brother. Anything else just rips off this legend in the making.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Boondocker wrote:
Our WRs are not 225s. The feature of this bike that sets it apart is the motor, derived from a Yamaha R1 * .25. How does Yamaha improve on the displacement and keep the character? R1 * .50. That would be a 500cc parallel twin.

The 450 is backwards thinking, back to dirt bikes that is. I bought this bike because it's a dual sport, not a wanna-be street legal dirt bike. There are plenty of dirt bikes out there that are or can be made DOT compliant. Why wait? You can buy or make one now. The excellent motor and robust, fully suspended chassis is what makes this bike special and sets it apart from street legal dirt bikes.

I for one distain the 450 nomenclature as it reeks of dirt bike-ism. If Yamaha wants to grow the displacement of this bike and do it any justice, it had better be a 500cc parallel twin. That would be the genuine big brother. Anything else just rips off this legend in the making.
You make some really insightful comments!  Thanks!  

BTW: in NM if the VIN is coded for Off-Road, you cannot get street plates which is one of the reasons I have a WRR.
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Boondocker wrote:

I agree, well said.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 4:45 pm

I'll take a four-fifty version any day. I like my bikes how I like my women.

When I whip the throttle on I want something exciting to happen.

I need the front end in the air and the rear end loose and slippery.

If I were 120 lbs the 250 would probably work (for me), but if you want to haul ass with me, it's going to take two trips on the 250.

Having said all that the grin factor is about a wide on the "R" as it gets.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 4:55 pm

So basically all the R owners don't want "more" - and all the X riders are getting stiffies over the idea of "more".

Seems reasonable. Although most R owners do tend to modify the shit out of the stock bike to get "more". Hmmmmm... Icon_scratch

I do question why the R owners seem to desire to keep others (X owners) from getting what they really want?

I think it'd be awesome to have a "Yamaha wr450x" to completely dominate the Suzuki DRZ400sm.

A sub-350 pound, 450cc, single cylinder, fuel injected Yamaha SUMO with all the same maintenance characteristics of the wr250x would be flippin HAWT!!!!!!

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 5:10 pm

I don't see anyone stopping anyone else from getting what they want... Hmmmmm... Icon_scratch I have what I want, if I wanted a bigger, faster, more powerful bike, I would have kept my 600.

Hmmmmm... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmmmm...   Hmmmmm... Empty

Back to top Go down

Hmmmmm...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next