Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ridin' in the rain

Go down 
+15
longtallsally
Chrispy1200
JaiDee
Goggles Pisano
SpiritWolf15
Krabill
CDNSXV
mtb
flatboarder
SheWolf
BluePill
ZED
scottmac
inspector
Fargo_Wolf
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 6:45 pm

How many of you guys intentionally take off for a ride in the rain ?
Up until know, I've avoided doin' that - I'm retired, don't have to commute and can be picky !!
Today, there was a light rain, I wanted to see how my 30mm bar risers worked, so off I went. I had a waterproof top, MX helmet with goggles, and wow - it was kinda fun. Waterproof pants and some kinda face protection woulda been nice too, but, wow, I had a good time !!
Up and until now, I've avoided the rain, but now, I'm thinkin' with the right gear, it's no big deal...........................
Back to top Go down
Fargo_Wolf

Fargo_Wolf

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 6:56 pm

*looks around for Shewolf* Careful, or she will have you riding in the mud next.... wink Anyhoo.... Glad you enjoyed the rainy ride. hopefully it wasn't too chilly for you.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 8:41 pm

I don't intentionally do it because of the gear issue. Most of the time I can't see anything with glasses and visor fogging up.
Back to top Go down
scottmac

scottmac

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 8:48 pm

I like riding on rainy days. Many, many mornings over the years I
wake up to a soggy, rainy day, load the bike in the back of the
truck and go ride some of the places around here that can handle
lot's of water on the ground, ie: wet, sandy stuff.

Here are some pics from a rainy day ride a month back. It rained and
drizzled all day this day.

Ridin' in the rain HH11

Ridin' in the rain HH6

Ridin' in the rain HH2

Ridin' in the rain HH4

Ridin' in the rain HH13

For me, rain and dirt riding is fine - good fun. I try not to mix rain and the
R² with knobbys and pavement though.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 11:51 pm

I've ridden enough in the rain. I avoid it if possible. In general I won't start out for a ride in the rain, but if it rains while I'm out, well, that's part of riding. We do a lot of touring so rain is just a part of it, but it's not pleasant for a whole day, even with good gear.

Off road I'd sooner stay home as I have an aversion to mud. Too many experiences getting stuck in various things, but that's another series of stories.

Neat looking terrain scottmac. I wouldn't likely go there in the rain, but where is that?
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 12:46 am

inspector wrote:
I don't intentionally do it because of the gear issue. Most of the time I can't see anything with glasses and visor fogging up.

My experience is: Rain + Pavement + Rear Trailwing = NOT SAFE

Rain + Dirt = FUN + Bikewash time
Back to top Go down
scottmac

scottmac

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 12:06 pm

ZED wrote:

Neat looking terrain scottmac. I wouldn't likely go there in the rain, but where is that?

Those pictures were taken out at the Hollister Hills State Recreational Vehicle area. A little
over 3000 acres of terrain open to motorcycles and atv's. The soil in the upper section is
decomposed granite - think really grainy sand. Very fun to ride in when it's wet.

There's also the East Garrision out at Ford Ord - it's a decommisioned army base now and
the east garrision is nothing but miles of sandy hills and scrub brush. The army used it
mainly for training manuevers. The only time it's really fun to ride is when it's pouring down
rain and the sand has soaked it up.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 12:23 pm

On the sportbike....no damned way. On the R², it handles a lot better on the 606's amazingly enuf. thumb

flatboarder

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 4:12 pm

scottmac wrote:

Here are some pics from a rainy day ride a month back. It rained and
drizzled all day this day.

Many people over here would pay considerable money for being able to ride at such locations. This looks really nice. We used to ride at some sludge pit for years. Both riding and cleaning bike used to be exhausting and cumbersome mostly.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 9:51 pm

I ride in the rain a lot..... sometimes everyday Very happy
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 3:05 am

I grew up on the Wet Coast so you end up getting used to riding in the rain. I have even raced in the rain, on DOT race tires, which is a sketchy experience. Last summer I raced sumo in the piss pouring rain and loads of standing water. Ended up being tons of fun and the supermoto bikes with rain tires are more than impressive in terrible conditions.

Ridin' in the rain RainSumo4

Ridin' in the rain RainSumo2
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 8:42 am

You got red plastics for your X it looks like. I haven't ridden much in the rain with the R², but then I haven't had much reason to.

CDNSXV

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 11:11 am

Quote :
You got red plastics for your X it looks like.

Yes, and best of all, the red plastics triple the HP output. The WRX is a LOT more fun with 75 HP at the back wheel. eeek
Back to top Go down
Krabill

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 11:30 am

Yeah, red plastics and a 550cc v-twin shoved in there poser2
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 11:36 am

I ride in the rain all the time on my XT, most of the time I don't have a choice in the matter, as my car is usually empty of gas...

the dirt tires get a bit squirrely on wet pavement but that usually means you're just going too fast for the conditions. I wouldn't ride the RD or either Beemer in the rain unless I absolutely had to...
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 11:56 am

You are not old enough to even know what an RD is, let alone own one. Isn't there a law about owning a bike that is older than you?
Back to top Go down
Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Four years ago I bought a rain suit for kart racing. I've used it exactly once so far.

So I started wearing it on my commute last fall whenever it rained. It works great as long as you have waterproof boots. At my last job I sometimes had to wear a business suit to work and never had a problem keeping perfectly dry.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 2:37 pm

CDNSXV wrote:
You are not old enough to even know what an RD is, let alone own one. Isn't there a law about owning a bike that is older than you?

Yeah, it's not a name you hear all too often, a rarity in the crazy world of supersport liter bikes and over the top gimmicky KTMs Very happy

As for riding in the rain, a good mantra to follow is, "Only if you have to" especially in larger cities... Drivers here... they don't know what to do around a bike on sunny summer days where your visibility is the curvature of the earth... Let alone rainy gray days where you're lucky to be able to see a few miles... Better safe than dead right?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Better get that heart bypass done on that RD there Tib so you can ride that thing up and lose the key to the ignition... Very happy

CDNSXV

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 4:37 pm

What year RD is it?

I have an '81 that I bought a couple of years back, nearly 20 years to the day from my first bike which was also an '81 RDLC. :)

Ridin' in the rain RD350-2006
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 8:05 pm

eeek Damn that looks like Tib's!! His is an 82 I think; black with red/orange stripes. Nice little bike. Long live the old 2-strokes. thumb Yours looks in awesome shape.

CDNSXV

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 8:35 pm

The '82 is identical to the '81, the only difference being the color. My bike is in amazing condition, well it was. It is all in bits right now as it has turned into a long term project bike.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 pm

CDNSXV wrote:
What year RD is it?

I have an '81 that I bought a couple of years back, nearly 20 years to the day from my first bike which was also an '81 RDLC. :)

Ridin' in the rain RD350-2006

Make is black gold and red and thats my bike, 1982... She's currently in need of an engine overhaul... but when she ran... damn! it was funny watchign the supersport guys' jaws drop
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 10:25 pm

Mine blew a crank bearing a while back and I haven't gotten so far as to replace it. I'm going to go with modern forks and a custom swinger so I can run 17 inch wheels with modern tires and brakes. Eventually I want it to look something like this.

Ridin' in the rain RZR
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 10:44 pm

*whistles* thumb

Ridin' in the rain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridin' in the rain   Ridin' in the rain Empty

Back to top Go down

Ridin' in the rain
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next