Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Check your steering head bearings

Go down 
+17
on2wheels52
Lightn;ss
Rick jackson
Jens Eskildsen
Biglake
dicklane625
greenfire6
SheWolf
skierd
DesertRatliff
kraher
f3joel
marty
RimBenty
g-train
ZED
Machtig
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
74796a

Check your steering head bearings - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: stem nut torque    Check your steering head bearings - Page 2 EmptySat May 13, 2023 1:41 pm

both stem bearings on my 2020 wr were barely greased at all, thanks for the heads up. ya'll all ignored the guy asking about how to torque the stem nut back on correctly but that's what provides the right amount of compression on the bearings which is the most important thing for longeivity beyond the grease itself. neither of the two tools listed in the service manual allows for torquing to spec with a normal rachet type torque wrench either. in my experience you gotta have a lot of experience with a specific wrench in a specific body position to even get ballpark accuracy trying to feel your way to 27ft lbs then 5ft lbs so the only way i can see to do this correctly is with a tall spanner nut socket adapter. to make one you could sacrifice a deep socket and cut some teeth into it with an angle grinder if you have one that big or you could tack weld or epoxy a socket to the top of a cheap adjustable pin wrench if you have one for the rear spring. none of the ones yamaha or motion pro sell are tall enough to fit over the steering stem making me skeptical that this normally gets torqued to spec in final assembly either. maybe that means its not that important but its annoying for yamaha to give such a specific torque spec with zero practical way for most people who don't have a break torque wrench with a massive spanner head to accomplish it (including their dealers who are still mostly using the flatblade and hammer method for spanner nuts from what i've seen). some of the honda adapters motion pro sells might work but i don't wanna pay $50 and have to wait a week to find out. i keep losing riding days to shit like this because some 15 year old put my 2020 bike together in 15 min on his way out the door on a friday afternoon, not impressed yamaha...
Back to top Go down
BenWRR

Check your steering head bearings - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Check your steering head bearings   Check your steering head bearings - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 4:57 pm

I had finally gotten around to greasing my steering stem bearings as well as changing the fork oil.

The fork oil was easy as I had pumped out the same 465cc or so that was in both legs and then refilled the same amount of 2.5W Elf fork oil I had gotten on Amazon.

My stem bearings were both not too bad and had some grease on them from the factory. My 2020, now with 9,300 miles is ready to go for quite some time with me not worrying about those bearings.
Back to top Go down

Check your steering head bearings
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2