Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Dirt tires set up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jetpipe

Dirt tires set up Empty
PostSubject: Dirt tires set up   Dirt tires set up EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 6:25 pm

What is needed to a swap on the fly from street to dirt???
Any help with link is appreciated!
Cheers
Back to top Go down
mattf

Dirt tires set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt tires set up   Dirt tires set up EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 pm

are you talking swapping stock X wheels and R wheels, or swapping with a pair of aftermarket wheels?
Back to top Go down
jetpipe

Dirt tires set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt tires set up   Dirt tires set up EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 8:39 pm

mattf wrote:
are you talking swapping stock X wheels and R wheels, or swapping with a pair of aftermarket wheels?

either option...the one is cheaper and easier!
Back to top Go down
mattf

Dirt tires set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt tires set up   Dirt tires set up EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:12 pm

I have both sets of stock wheels, the wheel swap itself is no biggie but the brake rotors are different so I also swap the entire front brake assembly and fork guards (unbolt the master cylinder and caliper leaving the brake line attached, then bolt back on the other complete brake set up) without rushing I spend roughly a half hour swapping everything.

I believe you can buy the opposite wheel set from wheeling cycle with the same size brake rotor so your current brakes will work but you will be stuck with the large rotor offroad or the small rotor onroad depending on what you are starting with but there would be less to swap out.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

Dirt tires set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt tires set up   Dirt tires set up EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:31 pm

We have a pair of X's & a pair of off-road wheel sets from Wheeling Cycle. The swap out takes maybe 1/2 hour, which will probably get down to 20 minutes with practice (including a chain adjustment as we have different rear sprockets on the different sets). The wheel sets bolt up perfectly.

We're running with the large rotor on our off-road wheels. dunno Time will tell if this is an issue or not.
Back to top Go down
john92

Dirt tires set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt tires set up   Dirt tires set up EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 pm

[quote="mattf"]I have both sets of stock wheels, the wheel swap itself is no biggie but the brake rotors are different so I also swap the entire front brake assembly and fork guards (unbolt the master cylinder and caliper leaving the brake line attached, then bolt back on the other complete brake set up) without rushing I spend roughly a half hour swapping everything.
quote]

This is the exact setup I have for my R. No mess with caliper swapping and it gives you the stock brake setup for either bike (X or R). If you can get ahold of the parts that you need for a good price, this is definitely an easy way to go.
Back to top Go down
jetpipe

Dirt tires set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt tires set up   Dirt tires set up EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 pm

I waited for your suggestions and I purchased a set of 18 and 21 aftermarket complete with sprocket and discs barely used with brand new rear tire for 625$...looking around I had a perception it ws a good deal!
Back to top Go down
john92

Dirt tires set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt tires set up   Dirt tires set up EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Nice, That sounds like a sweet deal. Is it all ready to bolt up and go or do you need a couple things to get it all switched over as far as the brakes go?
Back to top Go down
jetpipe

Dirt tires set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt tires set up   Dirt tires set up EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 11:36 pm

john92 wrote:
Nice, That sounds like a sweet deal. Is it all ready to bolt up and go or do you need a couple things to get it all switched over as far as the brakes go?

Nop...the previous owner told me is simply mount and go! I'll post some pics as soon I get them!
will see

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dirt tires set up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt tires set up   Dirt tires set up Empty

Back to top Go down

Dirt tires set up
Page 1 of 1