Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

front brake disk dampener

Go down 
+5
ramz
Mr.Metal
YZEtc
Tammy
picard
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
picard

picard

front brake disk dampener Empty
PostSubject: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:50 pm

All,
there is a rubber dampener (?) wedged in between the front brake disk and the spokes on the front wheel on my 2010. I'm building a second set of wheels and I'm wondering whether
it is necessary or just a noise dampening device (#11 on fiche)?
Thanks,
Frank

https://i.servimg.com/u/f34/15/34/26/07/ya061011.gif
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 pm

Yes that is where you get all your low end power from. If you add a 2nd one your front wheel will jump up and never come down. Don't know how Yam did it but boy is it cool...
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 9:43 pm

I haven't had mine on there for several thousand miles, now, without trouble. :)
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 11:59 pm

Tammy wrote:
Yes that is where you get all your low end power from. If you add a 2nd one your front wheel will jump up and never come down. Don't know how Yam did it but boy is it cool...

Thanks for this exceptionally helpful reply
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 12:01 am

YZEtc wrote:
I haven't had mine on there for several thousand miles, now, without trouble. :)
Thanks YZEtc. After calling the third shop in the area I found out that it indeed is a dampener for potential rattle coming from the floating front disk - so not really necessary - especially not on trails which is where I will mainly use the second wheel set.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 7:27 pm

My way of say`n you don't need it...
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Tammy wrote:
My way of say`n you don't need it...

Thanks, no offense taken.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 8:20 pm

rattle coming from the floating front disk ..

Nope that's not a floating disk... Maybe if you beat it with a hammer for a bit it will be LOL..
Really don't know Y that put it on, but it's not cuz it's a floater..
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 10:31 pm

Tammy wrote:

Nope that's not a floating disk... Maybe if you beat it with a hammer for a bit it will be LOL..

"Stainless 250mm fully floating front disc brake with "wave style" rotor is squeezed by a twin piston Nissin caliper fitted with lightweight 27mm aluminum pistons. Nissin front master cylinder features an 11mm piston. Braking performance is excellent. Sintered metal pads are used"
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:14 am

Uhh... I'm pretty sure the caliper isn't floating. The disc itself is a floating disc, but floating doesn't mean rattling. It floats in that it can expand freely as it heats up due to the way it's mounted to the wheel (those little round things). If it's rattling, I would say you have some serious problems.

Of course I could be missing something :)

picard wrote:
Tammy wrote:

"Stainless 250mm fully floating front disc brake with "wave style" rotor is squeezed by a twin piston Nissin caliper fitted with lightweight 27mm aluminum pistons. Nissin front master cylinder features an 11mm piston. Braking performance is excellent. Sintered metal pads are used"
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:45 am

Quote :
The disc itself is a floating disc, but floating doesn't mean rattling. It floats in that it can expand freely as it heats up due to the way it's mounted to the wheel (those little round things). If it's rattling, I would say you have some serious problems.
Floating discs usually rattle. The exceptions where they are quiet is when they are rubber damped, like the WRR. Remove the rubber and check out 'those little round things' up close.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 6:41 am

I'm still trying to figure what type of liquid is being used to float metal. Excited rider?
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 6:51 am

Sorry guys no Floating discs on the WR..
I had them on my race bikes and I sold lots of them and what we have are good old none floating discs..
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:01 am

Tammy wrote:
I had them on my race bikes and I sold lots of them and what we have are good old none floating discs..

Beg to differ on that issue. A floating disk is no more than a two part disk with the center section bolted to the hub and the outer contact section free to expand to some degree to avoid warpage issues. The WRR uses a front disk just like most others I've encountered--EBC knows brakes and I think you will find their rotor very similar to the WRR--outside of their propriitary mounting (rivet) system that is
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/sdrive.shtml
Back to top Go down
picard

picard

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:54 am

Akasy wrote:
Tammy wrote:

Beg to differ on that issue. A floating disk is no more than a two part disk with the center section bolted to the hub and the outer contact section free to expand to some degree to avoid warpage issues. The WRR uses a front disk just like most others I've encountered--EBC knows brakes and I think you will find their rotor very similar to the WRR--outside of their propriitary mounting (rivet) system that is
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/sdrive.shtml

Akasy you are absolutely correct. So is Mr. Metal (discs are floating). And yes they rattle a little.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 4:24 pm

deerHater wrote:
I'm still trying to figure what type of liquid is being used to float metal. Excited rider?
Nobody else noticed that dampening != damping? Very happy
Usually see that in suspension adjustment discussions.

Sorry, I'm obviously not helping either....
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Nice vid, go back to 0:46
We don't have EBC disks...

From Yam's site..
Wave brake rotors front and rear, including a large 250mm front disc, reduce unsprung weight and provide excellent performance.
Now if we had floating disks Yam would be more then happy to tell us about them cuz that would add to the bike...

Sorry guys but we do NOT have floating disks that you will find on any bike that has real floating disks like on a TE250..
They may float on the hub but that is not the same as a true floating disk that moves side to side...
Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Tammy wrote:

From Yam's site..
Wave brake rotors front and rear, including a large 250mm front disc, reduce unsprung weight and provide excellent performance.
Now if we had floating disks Yam would be more then happy to tell us about them cuz that would add to the bike...

Sorry guys but we do NOT have floating disks that you will find on any bike that has real floating disks like on a TE250..
They may float on the hub but that is not the same as a true floating disk that moves side to side...

Never said we have EBC just a good site for seeing a floating disk in two pieces--which makes it a floater.
TE250 does not have a floating disk on the front--it has a floating caliper with fixed disk, big difference. It does have a floating disk on the rear.
All that makes a disk floating is two parts--allowing the part in contact with the pads to expand and contract without being locked to the hub.
WRR does not have floating caliper. It does have a floating front disk.
http://www.pjsmotorcycles.com/new_vehicle_compare.asp?veh1=128276&veh2=128276&CatDesc=Motorcycles&
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 pm

Could you please do some reading and understand the subject matter before you post a reply? People often reference forums for knowledge, and your posts are completely wrong and absurd.

We absolutely DO have a floating disc up front. We do NOT have a floating disc in the back. Take a look at your front disc. See those round metal pieces between the two pieces of the disc? Those are what makes the front disc a floating disc. As the metal heats up and expands, that "floating" connection allows it to separate as needed, eliminating any warping or stress on the metal.

Now take a look at your rear disc. See how it's solidly mounted to the wheel? Not floating.

Please leave technical discussions to those who are knowledgeable on the subject.

Thanks.

Tammy wrote:

Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Tammy wrote:

Can't explain why Yamaha USA did not put it in the press release but here are others that did so

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008models-Yamaha-WR250R.htm about 2\3 the way down 'Stainless 250mm fully floating front disc brake with "wave style" rotor is squeezed by a twin piston Nissin caliper fitted with lightweight 27mm aluminum pistons. Nissin front master cylinder features an 11mm piston. Braking performance is excellent. Sintered metal pads are used"

http://www.motorcycle.com/classifieds/yamaha/2010-yamaha-wr250r-MC093480041BF.html again about 2\3 way down

Yamaha Canada does acknowledge the floating disc
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=3256&section=ft&group=M

Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 2:03 pm

Guys... there is no reason to post lots of links to justify a FACT. The front disc is a floating disc. It's obvious if you just look at it. Come on.
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Akasy wrote:
Tammy wrote:

From Yam's site..

Never said we have EBC just a good site for seeing a floating disk in two pieces--which makes it a floater.
TE250 does not have a floating disk on the front--it has a floating caliper with fixed disk, big difference. It does have a floating disk on the rear.
All that makes a disk floating is two parts--allowing the part in contact with the pads to expand and contract without being locked to the hub.
WRR does not have floating caliper. It does have a floating front disk.
http://www.pjsmotorcycles.com/new_vehicle_compare.asp?veh1=128276&veh2=128276&CatDesc=Motorcycles&

Edit to add "WRR does not have floating caliper."
They do float

Last edited by Tammy on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
Could you please do some reading and understand the subject matter before you post a reply? People often reference forums for knowledge, and your posts are completely wrong and absurd.

We absolutely DO have a floating disc up front. We do NOT have a floating disc in the back. Take a look at your front disc. See those round metal pieces between the two pieces of the disc? Those are what makes the front disc a floating disc. As the metal heats up and expands, that "floating" connection allows it to separate as needed, eliminating any warping or stress on the metal.

Now take a look at your rear disc. See how it's solidly mounted to the wheel? Not floating.

Please leave technical discussions to those who are knowledgeable on the subject.

Thanks.

Tammy wrote:

From 1980 to 2004 I worked as a paid Motorcycle Teck, all of the classes I took where OEM not the internet.

floating disc. A true floating disc will move side to side to meet the pads. Does the WR have a floating disc I guess you can say yes cuz it does float on it's hub but it is not a true floating disc like found on the REAR of a TE250..

As for that EBC vid, that vid only talks about EBC's SD-System.on 0:46 they talked about the Patent of the SD-System so that vid did NOT have any thing to do with the disk on the WR at all and that is a fact...

We can play on the word floating with this but the disk on the WR is not a true "move from side to side freely" floating disk...

Back to top Go down
Akasy

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:01 pm

Now we are getting somewhere, since you have agreed that it is a floater, I will concur that that it does not move side to side (at least not very much) and is not--correct term--a full floater, like Brembo and others make which have both radial and axial freedom.
Now what is it worth--not much in my opinion. I've installed and used these things on and off since they came out as best as I recall in the early 90's. Never had one warp--but then again I've never had a solid rotor warp either--well not on a motorcycle. scratch
On EBC never said it was on the WRR but you have to admit it is a good video on floating disks.

"From 1980 to 2004 I worked as a paid Motorcycle Teck, all of the classes I took where OEM not the internet.

floating disc. A true floating disc will move side to side to meet the pads. Does the WR have a floating disc I guess you can say yes cuz it does float on it's hub but it is not a true floating disc like found on the REAR of a TE250..

As for that EBC vid, that vid only talks about EBC's SD-System.on 0:46 they talked about the Patent of the SD-System so that vid did NOT have any thing to do with the disk on the WR at all and that is a fact...

We can play on the word floating with this but the disk on the WR is not a true "move from side to side freely" floating disk... "

[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 6:55 pm

That may be, it still doesn't mean you know what you are talking about.

I'm sorry, but after your "WRR can smoke a KTM," "DL650 can smoke a DL1000" and "WRR does not have a floating disk brake" statements, I don't assign much weight to anything you have to say.

Tammy wrote:

From 1980 to 2004 I worked as a paid Motorcycle Teck, all of the classes I took where OEM not the internet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: front brake disk dampener   front brake disk dampener Empty

Back to top Go down

front brake disk dampener
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next