Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite

Go down 
+6
KLRchickie
Jäger
rydnseek
SheWolf
Medski
xcel
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
xcel

xcel

2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite Empty
PostSubject: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 10:54 pm

2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite Canadian_Flag Mederic or “Medski” as he’s called in the forum, departed Quebec and finds himself in Chicago for a night.

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Sept. 2, 2010
2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite Mederic_and_the_WR_Front_News

The mighty WR250 makes its way back into the news with yet another intrepid ride but this time performed by a young Canadian taking a cross country journey from his home Province of Quebec. His itinerary should see him reach Montana by early next week, up to Calgary, through the Banff/Lake Louise area while visiting Alberta/British Columbia and if time permits, a quick jaunt down to Vegas with a final all out effort to get back to Quebec where he will be more than happy to call it quits and begin planning next years adventure...

Mederic crossed into the US two days ago near Niagara Falls where he camped for the night near Buffalo. Fresh after day one, he grabbed the standard tourist shots of the Fall’s and headed west finding his way to Romulus, Michigan were a hotel awaited him. I was watching his progress in the WR forums and saw he planned to stay in Chicago tonight. With T-Storms predicted (and they are really hammering us as I type), I invited him to our own version of the friendly confines. After a freshening up, some hot chow and some great conversation, we are both busy updating the blogs, posting the news and generally doing what all netizens would do after one very long ride. Namely, he is relaxing on the couch and posting via his high tech Netbook.

While just a layover, the long ride truly begins tomorrow as he heads up to South Dakota for a ride through the Badlands and a visit Mt Rushmore before hitting the colder and less stable climate at altitude in Montana and on up into Calgary.

Put down for the night, we can only wish him a safe journey as he makes the huge loop on what is arguably the most fuel efficient Adventure Touring bike on the planet. That being the mighty Yamaha WR250R/X.

To follow his day to day trails and tribulations, you can keep up with Medski on his 24/7 blog at West Then South.

Medskiand his 2008 WR250R

2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite Mederic_and_the_WR_Rear
As he arrived just two short hours ago… And I thought I was loaded down while heading across the Continent Very happy

Last edited by xcel on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 10:57 pm

I feel famous! wings
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 11:37 pm

Quite the bag setup! 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite 61865

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi All:

A quick update… After a good night sleep, a decent breakfast, a trip to a local Yamaha dealer for (2) oil filters, Walmart for a few quarts of 10W-40, back to my house to do an oil change, a light lunch and repack of all the gear, Mederic's back on the iron horse and headed west.

At ~ 12:30 PM CST, Mederic’s 2008 Yamaha WR250R was seen leaving the Wadsworth, IL area and hell bent to make it to MN before nightfall.

A young Canadian's trip of a Lifetime

2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite 640x480_Leaving_Shot

Tonight should see him just south of Rochester, MN. From there, the Dakota's and then across some big country while traversing much of Montana...

Lynn, he is now heading toward you and Jager so take good care of the young man once he arrives! And do not let him leave without telling you the story about the Wolf and the three bears. I know you are going to love it Very happy

Let us all wish him the best of luck.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:47 pm

In Rochester Minnesota tonight. Blog update soon!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Woo hoo! WTG Med! 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite 525406 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite 61865

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 9:40 am

Nice writeup & pics, medski.. I like your style.

Also like the slideshow display of the pics.. makes reading the blog shorter.. does that make sense? I can follow the narrative, then stop & look at the slideshow a bit. I suppose it makes it hard to make comments on a particular picture, but it streamlines the ride report, for sure.

Iphone.. tough way to go. Probably would have been better served with a cheap gps & a separate cheap camera.. But i know the drill.. try to be as lightweight & simple as possible. I try to subscribe to the KISS method in my rides.. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

I do like the new generation, blogging/texting style of writing.. different from most of the old school/old fart writing that is more prominent in the forums.

Of course, now you'll have to find a way to 'translate' the blog into a forum ride report.. no easy task.

I'm looking forward to more! Thanks for posting!
scotty
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 1:50 pm

The iPhone is all 100% again. It got a bad case of humidity but no permanent damage. Hurray. Oh hi from Sioux falls! Lunch time. I might not get network tonight so further updates might be delayed. See you guys later!
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi Medski:

Safe travels and do watch out for the killer antelope as you are heading into the heart of where they call home Very happy

Have fun and keep us updated when you next find Cell service again.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 11:50 pm

Oh my oh my.. what a long day, started cold, then awesome, then long, then awesome again, then oh my god mileage!!, then crazyness in town.. I'm writing the blog post right now... it'll be up sometime tonight.

Edit: It's up good night!
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 12:39 am

Hi Medski:

Nice ride! And I feel sorry for your 600-mile beaten backside on the stock saddle Very happy I wish I would have had the SlipStreamer SpitFire windscreen to give you when you were here but like my tools and just about everything else for the WR, they are all still in Glenrock, WY.

Get some nice shots of Mt. Rushmore tomorrow but try to get moving early as the small stretch of Wyoming and the monster stretch of Montana will make for a long day tomorrow depending on where you stop for the night.

And I believe SheWolf just moved your WR to the header shot too!

Good Luck and keep us updated!

Wayne
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 12:54 am

Indeed, a very worthy shot to be on there. 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite 61865

Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 10:56 pm

Went through Big Horn Forest and the Tensleep Canyon, it was pretty!!
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi Medski:

Looking damn good and the blog pics are pretty darn good too Very happy

Good Luck

Wayne!
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 1:38 am

Shit just hit the fan hard. I made it to Calgary about 15miles passed fuel light. So I stop for gas and fuck forgot the 5L dry bag with the wallet at the last gas station. That bag has wallet, passport, bike insurance paper EVERYTHING.

So here I am in Calgary with no money, and absolutely no IDs. And it's passed bank hours.

Bank can send a new card in 3-4 days at an adress I don't have and I don't have ID to get a new card at the branch here.

I called the place I left my bag at ( in lethbridge) but it was closed. I'll find some sort of place to pin my tent and figure this mess out tomorrow.

Ps. I'm not panicking. But this just sucks :(
At least I have 3G network on the iPhone to try and get some help.
Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 1:57 am

Hi Mederac:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your credentials and such. I sure hope that station placed all of it behind the counter for you to pick up in the morning. A gas station attendant should be able to help with $7 to $10 to fill the tank to get you back to the previous location. At least I hope they can help?

If you swing down through Vegas on your way back, one of the CleanMPG forum members from the Cincinnati, Ohio area said you have a place to stay if you cross back East while that far south. Let us know you plans near the end of your journey in either case.

Good Luck

Wayne

Last edited by xcel on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Medski wrote:
Shit just hit the fan hard. I made it to Calgary about 15miles passed fuel light. So I stop for gas and fuck forgot the 5L dry bag with the wallet at the last gas station. That bag has wallet, passport, bike insurance paper EVERYTHING.

So here I am in Calgary with no money, and absolutely no IDs. And it's passed bank hours.

Bank can send a new card in 3-4 days at an adress I don't have and I don't have ID to get a new card at the branch here.

I called the place I left my bag at ( in lethbridge) but it was closed. I'll find some sort of place to pin my tent and figure this mess out tomorrow.

Ps. I'm not panicking. But this just sucks :(
At least I have 3G network on the iPhone to try and get some help.
Medski:

Two of my Reservist soldiers are working away from home while going to the university in Lethbridge.

I assume the last gas station will do right by you. But if personal pickup, transport to the greyhound or courier, etc is needed, I'll get one of my troopies to go retrieve your stuff and get it on it's way to Calgary. They'll pay for the shipping, I'll pay them, and you can reimburse me whenever you get around to it.

If you need a Calgary address, I can get your stuff sent to a CF facility in Calgary for pickup, or to my sis in law in Calgary - who will also feed you, shelter you, amuse you with her humour, and generally host you around Calgary until it gets there, something the CF won't do.
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 1:56 am

That's really appriciated, Jäger, thanks a lot. I may be alone riding out but xcel, ZED, KLRChickie, shewolf and you have been really given me a lot of help and support. I can't thank you guys enough for it. It really feels I'm not alone on this trip! Thanks to you guys and girls.

But things worked out in Calgary and I'll be moving onwards soon. And as these last 2 days have been quite an interesting story, I'll give it enough time to write it down properly tomorrow, for now bed time.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 2:21 am

Oh awesome Med! I'm glad something good has come out of this, considering how far you are from home and all. Maybe Zed can take your for a bog in the Mog. 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite 93746 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite 810411

Back to top Go down
xcel

xcel

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi Medski:

I am so glad this has all worked out for you as losing your "papers" is a bitch when on the road and a long way from home. Just keep us posted as to your progress and we'll all be following with great interest. That WR250 is one hell of a bike, isn't it Very happy
Good Luck

Wayne
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:50 am

I'm at the kootenay bay ferry! Blog update likely tonight.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Med!! How's the bike holding up? Let me know if you want me to order those things for you. thumb

Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Actually surprisingly good! I checked my chain during the ferry ride and OMG was it slack... I dunno where that picked up... But I (using the filmsy but somehow complete provided oem toolkit) adjusted the rear wheel back a tad
(about 3-4mm) and It hasn't skipped a tooth since.

I'm starting to wonder if it'll hold. I'll ask at the shop tomorrow. I do need some tires though. I actually made it to Vernon tonight. I'm here! *pokes*

Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Happy to hear you enjoyed Gray Creek Pass thumb

Cold, snow, sounds about right 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite Lol give it a couple weeks - it could be closed for the season!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 11:56 pm

Sweet! Ok if you go to VMS talk to Ashley. She's really cool, and hopefully can set you up. Rollin Rubber is just north of that by maybe 2 miles, and they might even have something there considering they sell quite a bit of stuff to DS'ers in the area. I still have the stock TW's sitting here...maybe 50 KM's on them if that. wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite   2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite Empty

Back to top Go down

2008 WR250R Rider -- A Long Way from Home Takes a Respite
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next