Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Dork in Austin, Texas

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
motodorko

Dork in Austin, Texas Empty
PostSubject: Dork in Austin, Texas   Dork in Austin, Texas EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 12:18 pm

I haven't bought my WR250X yet, but the process has begun. I'm an old motocross and enduro racer who always hated street bikes until I bought a Ninja 600 from a friend on a whim. Two four-cylinder 600s, and a great little naked twin Ninja 650r later, I've decided the WR is the bike for me. I've been 140mph and frankly, compared to most off road experiences, it was a bit of a yawn. The twin 650 was the most fun I've had on the street, but it's not much of a jumper and the oil/spring suspension doesn't like a mid-turn drift. Plus, at 400 pounds naked and wet, the 650r is still porky to a guy who grew up on motocross bikes.

I held off interest in a WR because of power issues but after some reading, a test ride that left me lusting for the WR's suspension and handling, and turning 40 years old, the bike is perfect for me.

Who cares if it won't go over a hundred without a turbo? (Have to grin at a turbo...) What this bike can do is ride over a car at five miles an hour, or jump a set of steps in a lonely industrial lot on Sunday when only God is watching and still let you get to the Irie Bean on Lamar with a smile on your face.

Oh, I'll probably, surely, get the big bore kit, exhaust, air filter, aluminum bars, etc... and I'm curious if the titanium shock spring on my 450 will fit, and what else? Hrm... the lower frame on the WR is detachable, could I possibly make a an extra lower frame with the 450 motocrosser motor in it? Maybe... I'll ride the WR for a while first.

This bike is fun already and I don't even own it yet. Yet. The Ninja has to go first...

Those who travelled in and out my door:
1971 Yamaha Mini Enduro
1975 Honda XR75 With Bassani pipe!
1980 Honda CR80R
1984 KDX80
1984 KX80 (x2 Goodbye Enduros, Hello full time motocross)
1985 KX80 (The '84s were modified and 105cc)
1984 Cagiva WMX 125 (Pops was a dealer, the bike was a dog)
1984 Cagiva WMX 250 (Actually a 190 but I only weighed a buck so it was fast enough to win)
1985 Cagiva WMX 125 Serial number 25. Magazines hated it, but I had Scott Summers mechanic on speed dial so I loved mine. Scott did pretty well on this bike too.
1985 Cagiva WMX 500 No one would buy one, so I raced it as a joke. Remember I only weighed 100lbs.
Power was no issue.
1986 Cagiva WMX 125 Last two stroke. Sigh. Raced it for two years then off to college. Burnt on racing after 12 years, I skateboard for ten and trail ride if people loan me a bike and demand it.
1995 Kawasaki ZX600 First street bike. Heavy and undersuspended. Sold it.
2001 Honda CBR600F4i Loved this one but decided to buy a 450 motocrosser and race again.
2006 Yamaha YZ450 When you grow up on two strokes, four stroke motocrossers still suck because I steer with the rear on dirt. Great Chassis though. Keeping it just because it has a titanium shock spring and the best suspension I ever had. May motard the thing one day...
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r Got this one and stripped off the fairings and it was fun. If you ever need a great bike for sport and commute, these are perfect.

Coming soon: WR250X I'm thinking of this bike as a mid-life XR-75.

Last edited by motodorko on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Dork in Austin, Texas   Dork in Austin, Texas EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Welcome! I like your style, you sound like you'll fit in just fine here. thumb
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Dork in Austin, Texas   Dork in Austin, Texas EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Welcome to the pack...and the insanity. Dork in Austin, Texas 61865 Dork in Austin, Texas 93746

PostSubject: Re: Dork in Austin, Texas   Dork in Austin, Texas Empty

Back to top Go down

Dork in Austin, Texas
Page 1 of 1