Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

do-it-yourself tubeless rims

Go down 
+12
superbee24
Medski
PYG RYDR
Boondocker
john92
YamX1KRR
inspector
dtx
ZED
SheWolf
motokid
triker
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
triker

do-it-yourself tubeless rims Empty
PostSubject: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 12:35 am

hi fellow wr250x nuts, re tublessing spoked wheels. i sealed the spokenipples with plumbers goop, gooped a rim tape over them installed a tubeless valve. i rode it 2500miles in baja, and lost about 5lbs pressure each day, which was due to me having put green slime in the tire, which allowed the rim to slip inside the tire, allowing the leakage. i don't reccomend what i did, but it was'nt any worse than fixing flats, almost inevitable in baja! also, i made a 6.5 gal gas tank, mounting the fuel pump in its own cannister, alongside the engine. if i can figure out how to post pics i'll do it, triker.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 8:57 am

You made your own 6.5 gallon gas tank for a wr250x????
eeek eeek eeek

Yeah - pictures required. Please.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 10:42 am

This I gotta see.... do-it-yourself tubeless rims Suspect

PostSubject: do=it=yourself tubless   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 11:57 am

how can i post pics, they are in jpeg format? i also built a center stand for the bike, comes in handy when working on rear wheel area, i have tried 13-48, 13-46 in addition to stock, i dont like a 12t sprocket due to accelerated wear on the chain, i.m a fat bastard, 240x and sitting up the little bugger doesnt like to pull 6th in stock gearing. 87mph max, plenty for this old guy! i run dunlops 606 in baja,130/90/17, i had to shave the sides of the front to miss the fork seal holders, i get 5000mls in baja, and the rear is 50% worn, the front 30% worn. In the us i run shinko t/masters ,140/80/17 rear, 120/90/17 front, so far i love em, i realize i'm pissing off the tire gods, but what works-works! i also built my own rear rack and seat, a bit wider for my fat butt. if i can figure how to post pics i'll do it, triker

Last edited by triker on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 12:55 pm

There are pros and cons to tubeless. Some people have successfully converted tubed rims, but it's not for the faint of heart.

I'm thinking a 6.5 (US) gal tank must be something like adapting a KLR safari tank. Bazaar to say the least. I'm thinking about a 700km or so range on that puppy.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 12:56 pm

click me <--- Very happy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
triker

PostSubject: trying to post pics   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 3:56 pm

being a very old dog i'm finding great dificulty in learning new tricks! , namely uploading pics, i've tried the instructions you kindly sent me, but no luck. is there an address i could mail pics to? i have mastered the printer,! triker
Back to top Go down
triker

PostSubject: posting pics   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 3:57 pm

i,ve just spent anotherr 2 hours trying to up load pics to the site, i,m feeling stupid, but even though i did get some pics uploaded to imageshack i,m unable to get them the next step, onto my post. i would be glad to mail them to an address, ( i have mastered the printer!) otherwise you,ll have to imagine what a 6-5 gal tank, etc looks like on a wrx, sorry, triker
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Dude....can you find the text string at imageshack under a picture that has [img] on both ends?

Copy and paste that string of text into your post.

It's that simple.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 7:50 pm

its ok,cannot post pic myself. i have gotten over it
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:07 pm

click Mr. smilie ----> Very happy
Back to top Go down
triker

PostSubject: pics wr250 big tank   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:23 am

mr g, i think i sent a pic to your email, i hope! it said sent, triker, its not the one i wanted to send, doesn't show the pump cannister etc., i have more, if i can only figure out this bloody computer.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 6:58 am

triker:

Can you email me a few pictures: link@motokid.com

and I'll post them.

I really want to see your 6.5 gallon gas tank on your wr250x.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
YamX1KRR

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 11:22 am

I just did mine like this: http://www.teamincomplete.com/Projects/950/1719tubelesswhee.html

You may just have a few that didn't seal, try spraying soap on the nipples, you will see which ones are leaking. The problem with gooping each nipple is they seem to break free from the spokes moving around, nevermind periodic adjustments.
Back to top Go down
triker

PostSubject: tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:02 pm

to yamX1krr, excellent job, much nicer than mine. my leakage was due to green slime allowing the air to leak at the bead, i lowered the tire pressure in baja, lots of rocks and soft sand, i checked for leaks around the nipples with soap, nada, but green slime continued to show at the bead, if i had not used slime i doubt if the air would have leaked, not really a problem, i have a pump hard wired on the bike. your solution is way better than mine, were your tires t/less? mine werent, bias not radial, boy the tire gods are mad at me! triker
Back to top Go down
triker

PostSubject: pics to email   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 2:11 pm

gedieh14 ive sent pics to your email address 6 times but your recipient domain refuses them, i think the reason might be the sender is listed as jeannette stone, my wife, i don't know how to change it to my name so your defense does'nt reject my email, triker
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:35 pm

do-it-yourself tubeless rims 96b111

do-it-yourself tubeless rims 96b210

Best I can do with what he sent me so far. If I make them any bigger they get to grainy.

Makes me want to see better pictures though. thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
john92

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 4:46 pm

scratch scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 7:18 pm

john92 wrote:
scratch scratch scratch scratch

Yeah. They're invisible for me too.
Back to top Go down
triker

PostSubject: wr pics   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 8:29 pm

[i]hey motokid, i've tried to send bigger better pics but i keep getting message that i aint spelled your name right, i;'ll keep trying, but at least you saved my sanity by getting a couple on post. the bare metal was an early one after i was about done welding and beating on it . if anyone is interested i'll be glad to 'splain how to do it, triker
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 8:31 pm

do-it-yourself tubeless rims 2_sept10

do-it-yourself tubeless rims 2_sept11

Wow.....custom. Nice.

Center stand too?????

What else?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 8:17 am

triker wrote:
gedieh14 ive sent pics to your email address 6 times but your recipient domain refuses them, i think the reason might be the sender is listed as jeannette stone, my wife, i don't know how to change it to my name so your defense does'nt reject my email, triker

Triker,

I think you had an incorrect email address.

BUT the good news is that another forum member got your photos posted!

Wow!

Some Super Mods!

Impressive! bow
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 9:17 am

So, what the heck is that tank from? scratch
Back to top Go down
Medski

Medski

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 10:51 am

Impressive!
Back to top Go down
superbee24

superbee24

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 pm

ZED wrote:
So, what the heck is that tank from? scratch

according to his first few posts. He made the tank, rack, seat, and center stand. Pretty impressive on all counts if you ask me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: do-it-yourself tubeless rims   do-it-yourself tubeless rims Empty

Back to top Go down

do-it-yourself tubeless rims
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next