Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Screw This !!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gatorfan

gatorfan

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Screw This !!!!   Screw This !!!! EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm after searching 3 counties for bolts to hold my new Automotive Machine and Supply tail rack. No luck. You would think they could spare 4 bolts for $125 tail rack! Just curious, does the Promoto rack come with bolts?

It's a little disconcerting too that nobody carries those long skinny suckers required to fix a tail rack thru the rear fender to fixed nuts in the tail assembly .... mmmmm .... good idea??

Automotive Machines is getting an earful Monday. Am I wrong to expect bolts to come with a tail rack?
Back to top Go down
SoupSandwich

SoupSandwich

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screw This !!!!   Screw This !!!! EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 9:29 pm

I would be a little peeved if I didnt get any hardware!! budah budah
Back to top Go down

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Pro Moto Billet Rack   Screw This !!!! EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 9:35 pm

gatorfan wrote:
I'm after searching 3 counties for bolts to hold my new Automotive Machine and Supply tail rack. No luck. You would think they could spare 4 bolts for $125 tail rack! Just curious, does the Promoto rack come with bolts?

It's a little disconcerting too that nobody carries those long skinny suckers required to fix a tail rack thru the rear fender to fixed nuts in the tail assembly .... mmmmm .... good idea??

Automotive Machines is getting an earful Monday. Am I wrong to expect bolts to come with a tail rack?

gatorfan,

I never know whether to expect hardware or not. I won't weigh in on that part. I have a PMB rack and while it wasn't a perfect kit, it's very good and I like the installed result.

My PMB tail rack came with bolts and spacers. 2 long spacers, 2 somewhat shorter. Somehow, I got 1 spacer that was an oddball and had to shim it with a washer. No big deal; just not a perfect kit.

Also, the anodizing or powder coating on the PMB rack seems to me to be a bit soft. It's worn through the coating in a couple of places just from bungee hooks. This isn't a criticism, really, just wanted you to know.

I personally think tail racks take a beating and will show some marks. 'Salright with me.

Otherwise, I like the light weight and the strength of the PMB rack a lot. Especially on our "ultralight" wink bikes.

The PMB kit also came with nylock nuts. I assumed those were to be used as locking nuts from underneath after the rack is on. Seems to work fine.

I used a little silicone sealer where the spacers go through the rear fender so mud doesn't migrate up under the rack where it's hard to clean out.

The fender is marked with 4 drill spots on the back. Take care or step drill or whatever to prevent drill drift. This can get you a better alignment for the hardware.

Artoo
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screw This !!!!   Screw This !!!! EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 1:49 pm

gatorfan wrote:

Both the ProMoto and the Flatland Racing come with hardware. Come to think of it, every farkle I've ever gotten has come with hardware. I'd guess they just forgot to ship it. baldy
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screw This !!!!   Screw This !!!! EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 2:42 pm

malibu_dan wrote:

Both the ProMoto and the Flatland Racing come with hardware. Come to think of it, every farkle I've ever gotten has come with hardware. I'd guess they just forgot to ship it. baldy

Nope. They sent me an e-mail ... "all bikes are different" so they don't ship bolts. WTF? This rack is bike specific. I'll just order some. I've got a mod planned for this attachment anyway.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screw This !!!!   Screw This !!!! EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Automotive Machine and Supply wrote:
All the rear luggage racks are CNC machined from 6061 heat treated
aluminum and feature a natural matte finish, and come with 4
aluminum mounting spacers. Mounting bolts are not included.
Stainless bolts are available at www.mcmaster.com/#socket-cap-screws

Taken off there web site. Did they just add that?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screw This !!!!   Screw This !!!! EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 7:59 pm

inspector wrote:
Automotive Machine and Supply wrote:
All the rear luggage racks are CNC machined from 6061 heat treated
aluminum and feature a natural matte finish, and come with 4
aluminum mounting spacers. Mounting bolts are not included.
Stainless bolts are available at www.mcmaster.com/#socket-cap-screws

Taken off there web site. Did they just add that?

My bad then. That info was probably there and I never saw it. Still odd though not to include bolts to fit OEM.

I'm gonna reinforce the subframe/tailight assembly where the rack attaches to anyway so I can throw some sturdier bolts.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screw This !!!!   Screw This !!!! EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:15 pm

I feel yeah. I think it's piss poor not to include the bolts
Back to top Go down
chkMINUS

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screw This !!!!   Screw This !!!! EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 3:15 pm

gatorfan, can you comment on how much your rack weighs? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screw This !!!!   Screw This !!!! EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 4:30 pm

chkMINUS wrote:
gatorfan, can you comment on how much your rack weighs? Thanks.

AMS Tri-Square Rack: 22 ounces.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Screw This !!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screw This !!!!   Screw This !!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Screw This !!!!
Page 1 of 1