Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain removal question

Go down 
+2
X-Racer
Fanatic
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fanatic

Fanatic

Chain removal question Empty
PostSubject: Chain removal question   Chain removal question EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 pm

So I have new sprockets and a chain on the way. Unless I am missing something, the stock chain has no masterlink, so will need to be broken off. Is there a way to do this easily without a chain breaker? Can I just cut it with bolt cutters? Anyone have any tricks? All help is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Chain removal question   Chain removal question EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Fan,

If you have a grinder you can grind the peened end of the pins down to the link's "flat" and then using a drift punch, punch it out.

Use caution. You can damage the adjacent links if you are not careful.

- Robert
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Chain removal question   Chain removal question EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 pm

I cut mine off with a dremel. The other option is to remove the wheel and the swingarm if you don't have anything to cut it with.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Chain removal question   Chain removal question EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Probably not a bad idea to go that route if you haven't re-packed the swingarm and linkages yet. Chain removal question 61865

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chain removal question   Chain removal question EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 6:53 am

^ Exactly. :)
Kill two birds with one stone and lube the rear suspension bearings, seals, bolts, and collars while you're right there.

The chain has no clip-type master link for reliability.
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: Chain removal question   Chain removal question EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 2:28 pm

Used a pneumatic cutoff wheel on mine. I have a stand and alignment tool too if you want to use them Fanatic. We have not decided on Odessa yet. Waiting to see when I get my bike back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain removal question   Chain removal question Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain removal question
Page 1 of 1