Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

X suspension set up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
usgpru27

X suspension set up Empty
PostSubject: X suspension set up   X suspension set up EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 10:32 pm

I have put about 100 miles on my X. I take my screw drivers and have been making adjustments along the way. I have it handling much more stable but a little on the firm side. Will figure that out tomorrow. Anyway. I am 190lbs with my leathers and would like some thoughts on others set up. I am getting somewhat far away from stock on some of the adjustments and would like to confirm that my adjustments are in line with some common shortcomings. I am also interested in how much static sag people are running. Thanks for any thoughts.
Back to top Go down
love2lean

love2lean

PostSubject: Re: X suspension set up   X suspension set up EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 1:04 pm

I am running all the settings screwed down all the way tight then back out 2 clicks. on the rear rebound I backed out 3 or 4 clicks. I ran the sag in the rear pretty far down the shaft(about 5 threads tighter than stock) also lower the forks in the tree down about half inch this quikens the steering. P.S. thats me and my bike on the header.
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: X suspension set up   X suspension set up EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 6:41 pm

Great info.. Some of your settings are close and some not. One of my issues is trying to find something compliant on the streets.. bumpy New Jersey streets. I have also stiffened the rear spring quite a bit and lowered the nose. The front still feels harsh so I have been backing out the compression and it feels good riding around but not when you push it. I also do not like the spring set with a limited sag. I need a spring for sure. My usual race bike set up is very soft. I try and use every mm of travel. I like a lot of front dive entering... go neutral through apex... and then let it squat on the way out and it sets the geometry to drive out hard. I can find this set up easy but it will not be good on our streets. I am getting to the point where I have to just find 2 set ups.
Certainly everyone has their own preference. My teammate and I were always very close in our track times on our GP bikes. We swapped one day and I pulled in after my first hot lap.. He pulled in after his second. His felt like a brick.. so hard I almost broke a tooth.. He called mine a sloppy mess. But they work for each of us.
So your conclusion is what I would expect for some very aggressive riding on somewhat smooth roads or track. Have you thought about a re-valve as you are close to the limits of adjustment?
Back to top Go down
love2lean

love2lean

PostSubject: Re: X suspension set up   X suspension set up EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:38 pm

Even with everything cranked down all the way its still a NOODLE. I, like you set up my track bikes with quite a bit of travel . I am the same weight as you so i'm sure we are feeling the same forces. I would not revalve or upgrade the parts because of the overall project cost. No matter what I do the motor will never get me to a pace where I could benefit from better suspension. Part of the fun for me is getting up to speed and MAKING it work with the limited stock equipment( its a challenge). I got the bike to slow me down on the street rides. However the bike will perform at a high level when pushed to 100 percent and delivers twice the fun as a better equiped bike. I have 5000 miles on it now and I am fairly comfortable with what it can do. I sure you will love getting to know this bike at speed . I have a youtube channel with some footage of the little X at speed if your interested. Carolina Moto Maps : Hwy 178 Supermoto . P.S. I upgraded the tires to bridgestone 003 rs with the 150 in the rear, I highly recommend this tire for track and street.
Back to top Go down
usgpru27

PostSubject: Re: X suspension set up   X suspension set up EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:37 pm

Again.. Great info and I agree with the street slow down.. I have been racing for 20 years up until a year ago and I didn't have a street bike for that entire time. With a full national schedule I didnt see the need. As noted I just want a toy to play on. I love set up and its fun to find something good. As with the 125 GP bike I like this also because you can just grab gas and not worry about anything.
Your tires will be purchased in the spring.
What series are you racing in?
Back to top Go down
YamX1KRR

PostSubject: Re: X suspension set up   X suspension set up EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 5:11 pm

L2L, that pic is pretty sweet! I too went to 003's, considered the 150, but tried the 140. That was a mistake, the shoulders on the 140's are similar to stock, and don't give much of a contact patch at full lean. Definetely going with the 150 next.

As for suspension, I will have to check my exact settings, but my rear rebound is close to all the way out, front rebound is a bit out, but not all the way. Compressions are a click or two out from max. Raised the forks, 10-15 mm.

There is a guy on SMJ that bought one of these, and owns a suspension shop. He is doing shock and fork rebuilds pretty cheap, unless you want ohlins fork components, then it gets pricey. My forks are adequate, but the shock is definetely going to him. His screen name over there is dbehrend416, Fast bike industries. He's posted some info in the Yamaha section. Pretty sure he is in the NC area too. Everyone on SMJ seems to love his work, for other bikes. (I don't have any interest in his business or know him, just passing along, he seems to be a good guy.)

This was supposed to be my play bike, no big suspension mods, but the shock sucks, mine does anyway. It is kinda ruining the bike for me, so I definetely need to do something.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: X suspension set up   X suspension set up EmptySat Oct 30, 2010 1:33 pm

my shock just returned from fast bike,best 100 bucks you will ever spend !!

Back to top Go down
YamX1KRR

PostSubject: Re: X suspension set up   X suspension set up EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 2:47 pm

dtx wrote:
my shock just returned from fast bike,best 100 bucks you will ever spend !!

Good to know, what was the turn around time, from the time you shipped, to you receiving? Does the compression damping feel stiffer? I think my shock is just empty, squeals every time I compress the shock. I really need to send mine in, just haven't had the time.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: X suspension set up   X suspension set up EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Shipped from mass on tues,returned next sat. Thats 10 days round trip. What i did not like was the bike liked to try to toss me off mid corner. Shall i say "stand up",could not slow rebound down enough.
On whoops it liked to try toss me over the bars,ass end wanted to pass the front.
On ice it was a handfull mid corner,also liked to hop,hop,hop, down the stright.Gonna have to wait a few more weeks for that.
Smother,and easy to handle. Sucks up woops and drops off 4ft banks ever so nice !! I put two dents in my fmf from the brake caliper this summer,thats not gonna happen anymore.
An for you who want it lower just ask FASTBIKES they can do that to,cheepr than a link and it wont turn like a brick !!
http://www.fastbikeindustries.com/index.htm ,and he owns one !!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: X suspension set up   X suspension set up Empty

Back to top Go down

X suspension set up
Page 1 of 1