Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

I think my fuel pump died today!

Go down 
+3
dc4stroke
YZEtc
calico jack
7 posters
AuthorMessage
calico jack

I think my fuel pump died today! Empty
PostSubject: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 4:44 pm

I took my WRR out for about a 30 minute road ride and then hit a little dirt afterwards. I was only on the dirt for about 4-5 minutes when I came up on a couple on a four wheeler. I stopped (shut off the bike) and chatted with the couple for about 10 minutes. When we parted ways I put my helmet and gloves back on and turned the key switch....no fuel pump noise...I pushed the starter and it turns over but will not fire. I tried all combinations of kill switch, key switch, kickstand up, kickstand down, tongue in, and tongue out, but it will not fire. I waited for 10 minutes and tried again but still no fuel pump cycle and it will not fire! I had to call the wife to tow me back home and I plan on calling my local dealership tomorrow to try and get it fixed. This is the first issue i have ever had with the WRR. I bought it new in January of 2010.

Anyone have any suggestions??
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 5:48 pm

Does it start after it cools down?
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 5:58 pm

loose connection where the wiring comes off the bars under the edge of the tank on the right side. pins back out of connector. At least look there. mine did it a month ago.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 8:21 pm

pull the gas line from the pump and power up briefly, no gas probably. sounds like a fuze to me or a pump failure or you are outa gas

GAHHHH I hope this is not a "problem" with the new tanks or something. the "old" air cooled, gravity fed carbs never did this...

please keep us posted on what you find out... thank your wife, your cell phone and your tow rope!!! If it had been me, I'd still be walking... baldy
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 9:46 pm

After about a hour of it sitting in my driveway I went out to show a buddy my issue...It fired up the first time and ran perfect.?

i dont get it. When i turned the key I did hear the pump prime this time and I even turned it off and restarted it several times with no issue at all.

Of course the fuel was the first thing that I checked and it was still half full.

Luckily the road loop that I took ended approx a quarter mile from my house and that was where I was riding in dirt when the issue began.

I did have a 3 day trip planned to the north Georgia mountains this weekend but i dont know if I can trust my bike now...

I plan on taking the tank off tomorrow to check everything out to include all electrical connections. I dont 100% know what i am looking for so any further help will be appreciated. Thanks guys for your comments and help.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 12:27 am

If the bike starts and runs fine once it cools down, that's the symptom of the fuel pump acting up.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 12:41 am

Oh man, I hate crap like that, especially on an '09 ! and right before a trip, WTF!

If the delaer won't put in a new FP, I'd take one with me, unless you find something really clear or change it out. You don't want to break down now that you know.

Better to find out now than half way thru the trip.

Get it nice and hot again, see if it freezes up. Then you'll know for sure.

Good Luck and I mean it.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 6:37 am

Sure sounds like a classic case of pump failure. Dang. What's the build date on the bike?

Sarah
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 9:30 am

I will check the build date when I get off work, thanks for the help DC4, hopefully it is something simple. I will let yall know how it goes...
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 8:20 am

Okay, So I pulled it apart and checked all the wiring connectors and plugs. I checked each individual wire going into the harness and pulled the fuse. There is nothing out of place. All wires were properly connected and the fuse was perfect. I did attempt to start it with the fuse out and it acted exactly the way it did the other day. That leads me to believe that either the fuse was blown or there is a internal issue with the fuel pump. well...since I had the fuse in my hand and had already inspected it and found that it was still in perfect shape, that only leaves me with the fuel pump. I contacted my local dealer and told them about the issue. I will be taking my bike to them today and hopefully it will be a quick turn around so that I can go on my trip this weekend. I doubt that I will be able to recreate the fuel pump failure for them and I hope that they just take my word and replace it without going through every possible step to prevent my weekend trip.
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 10:02 am

I haven't seen it on the WR but I have seen an interesting issue on the Huskavarnas. Our little pump has similar wiring on the pump so this could happen to us and is worth a check.

Inside the tank there are electrical connections to the pump. These are tiny little spade connectors. They are crimped to the wire and held on by friction. The wire can break. The spades can come off. You would have to pull the tank and pump to check them.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 5:19 am

Any word?

Sarah
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 am

I was unable to get the service dept to call me back on Monday and Tuesday I was way too busy at work to break away. I decided that I will load the WRR into the back of my truck and haul it north for the weekend, that way if it breaks down I will still have a ride home. I'm pretty sure that if it does have issues that they will remedy themselves in a hours time. That seems to be the general consensus. I plan to stick to the local fire roads around TWO or maybe go ride the Dragon. I just gotta be carefull when refueling and remember NOT to turn the bike off.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 9:02 am

That sounds a little scary, be extra careful filling up. And if you've still got the factory tank you'll need an extra key for the gas cap, right? Wishing you the best.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 10:08 am

Yep, Got the extra key and will be extra carefull. I honestly dont think that it will happen every time that I turn the bike off but I will be prepared in the event that it does. Like I said, from what i've read it usually starts to work again after +- one hour. BTW anyone else going to N. Georgia this weekend?? I think I posted it before but the ADV guys are having a get together at TWO in Suches Ga. Nothing crazy formal, actually its quite the opposite...get together Friday and eat & Drink, get up Saturday and head out to ride whatever your heart desires then back Saturday nite for more drinks and food and drinks, then home Sunday. Last year I had a blast and mainly rode the forest roads. Nothing too technical just amazing sights and good trails.
Back to top Go down
calico jack

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 11:32 am

I ran the WRR all weekend and never had a issue. I'm sure that the issue is still there but it did not show up on my trip (Thank GOD). I posted a Ride Report with pictures for all to see. I will try to get my bike to the dealership this week for service and hopefully a new fuel pump.
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 6:13 pm

for not needing the key to refill gas.
All you have to do is remove the 2 screws on bottom of gas cap and take out the black plastic pieces and the springs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think my fuel pump died today!   I think my fuel pump died today! Empty

Back to top Go down

I think my fuel pump died today!
Page 1 of 1