Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My WRR let me down yesterday

Go down 
+7
Mr.Metal
taoshum
X-Racer
rydnseek
greer
Boondocker
Dancamp
11 posters
AuthorMessage

My WRR let me down yesterday Empty
PostSubject: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:20 pm

My love affair with my '09 WRR took a hit yesterday. In the middle of a 100+ mile, on/off road, loop ride, it just quit as if it had run out of fuel. There was no indication of trouble prior to it dying. No check engine light either. After several minutes, I was able to start it but it died again several minutes later. Each time that I would let it sit for a few minutes, I could start it, but at best I could only make it about 1/4 mile before it would die again.

After miles of pushing my beloved Yamaha, a couple of good Samaritans helped me load it into a pickup and returned me back to civilization. Thank you Charlie even though you are strictly a Honda man...

After letting it cool completely, I found that it would start and sound strong, but as soon as I would shift it out of neutral, it immediately died.

What the heck. I suspected something with the Neutral switch. Maybe shorted to some other lead??? I did have a ton of wet mud caked around the Neutral switch, so perhaps it is not sealed properly? I cleaned and dried the outside of the Neutral switch and also spread the cables/wires by the left side of the triple clamp. I can now start it and place it in gear without it dying. That is a far as I have gotten.

Makes me nervous... I plan to pull the tank and check the spark plug and check my fuel programmer connections. Not sure what else to look for.

Any ideas???
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:35 pm

ddvorak wrote:
My love affair with my '09 WRR took a hit yesterday. In the middle of a 100+ mile, on/off road, loop ride, it just quit as if it had run out of fuel. There was no indication of trouble prior to it dying. No check engine light either. After several minutes, I was able to start it but it died again several minutes later. Each time that I would let it sit for a few minutes, I could start it, but at best I could only make it about 1/4 mile before it would die again.

After miles of pushing my beloved Yamaha, a couple of good Samaritans helped me load it into a pickup and returned me back to civilization. Thank you Charlie even though you are strictly a Honda man...

After letting it cool completely, I found that it would start and sound strong, but as soon as I would shift it out of neutral, it immediately died.

What the heck. I suspected something with the Neutral switch. Maybe shorted to some other lead??? I did have a ton of wet mud caked around the Neutral switch, so perhaps it is not sealed properly? I cleaned and dried the outside of the Neutral switch and also spread the cables/wires by the left side of the triple clamp. I can now start it and place it in gear without it dying. That is a far as I have gotten.

Makes me nervous... I plan to pull the tank and check the spark plug and check my fuel programmer connections. Not sure what else to look for.

Any ideas???

Did you check the stand switch. If this switch is on, then as soon as you put the bike in gear it cuts off the engine.

Last edited by Dancamp on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Good point. I did check it manually when I was stranded, but have not checked it electrically yet. That could certainly be the problem. Hope it is that simple. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 9:57 pm

I had the same problem with the clutch switch when I was at the Jame's Bay this summer. Dismanteled almost everything before thinking of the switch on my DL. Once I checkd it, I've put a wire between the two connectors and bingo everything worked.

These switches are pain in the ... sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: fuel pump   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 10:56 pm

Hate to say it, but it sounds like the fuel pump is going.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 6:21 am

Exactly what I was thinking, except for the bit about shifting out of neutral...?

Sarah
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 8:47 am

sounds like the stand switch. To bypass, unplug the connectors & short the contacts. If it starts & runs, there is the culprit. The connector us under the battery panel.. just follow the wire up from the stand.

I've disconnected both stand & clutch switches.. just something to go wrong, as you illustrated. I snipped the plug & twisted the wires together for a permanent short. I first had a jumper on the stand switch, and just stuffed the clutch switch behind the headlight. But both acted up on the trail, so now i have them both wire nutted, taped, & twisted. The clutch plug is under the tank.. follow the wire to it.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Whatever it is make sure you count to ten before you say anything you'll regret. Like: "I don't love you anymore!"

Bikes have feelings too... The good thing is you can probably look forward to makeup sex. Errrummmm RIDE I mean.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 1:57 pm

I am very happy to report that it was indeed the Kick Stand switch. When tested with a meter it was open until I would squeeze the switch a bit. Once off of the bike, I can certainly see why this would happen. What a horrible design!!! This switch has a backplate with 4 tiny screws that keeps the switch pieces together. It is not enough to seal the switch for any length of time at all. It is not a matter of if it will fail, but when. And when it does, you are stranded unless you can find the problem on the trail.

My WRR no longer has a Kick Stand switch and our relationship is back on track...

Thanks to those of you who had input on this. I was looking right past the Kick Stand and guilty of thinking the worst.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for posting back, sounds like it's time for the rest of us to check that switch.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 pm

I took that baby off on day 1... saves a few pounds too. Probably a federal law mandated it... and congress wonders why they have a 12% approval rating.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Wow... way to bring politics into a side stand switch discussion lurk

taoshum wrote:
I took that baby off on day 1... saves a few pounds too. Probably a federal law mandated it... and congress wonders why they have a 12% approval rating.
Back to top Go down
dc4stroke

dc4stroke

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 5:44 pm

Well.....I'm glad that's sorterd out.
Back to top Go down
Farmer17

Farmer17

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Mr.Metal wrote:
Wow... way to bring politics into a side stand switch discussion lurk

taoshum wrote:
poser2 poser2
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 1:34 pm

I'm suddenly nervous to depart on the 100+ miles loop I was gonna do today poser2

Thanks though, good info, and good thing to know about ... I may get rid of mine too now.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 1:28 am

Hello ddvorak, I had a very similar expirience happen to me back in august when I was in the middle of a 350 mile ride in the middle of nowhere in Maine.I was shitting my pants when my cell phone had no signal and I had just left my map at the last place I stopped...the bike would start when it felt like it and would go about 1/4 mile and die, i thought I was going to have to ride it back home like that..after about 1/2 an hour or so the bike smoothed out and ran OK on the way home,,I have put on about 3000 miles since and have'nt had a problem since...I thought for sure it was the fuel pump but the guy at my dealership thinks it is my fuel programmer,,I was thinking of having a new fuel pump put on but I would hate to spend that kind of money if that's not it,,,maybe I'll disconnect the switch,,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 6:40 am

When my kickstand switch was just starting to go open, the bike would be running fine and then either quit completley or just sputter while riding. Once it finally opened up competely, then it would start, but would die as soon as I placed it in gear. Unfortunately my switch did not go completely open until after I got it back to town. Otherwise, I might have figured it out on the trail... maybe.

One thing is for sure, the next time I am riding outside of cell phone range, my WRR will not be having a problem caused by the kickstand switch. The switch is in the box labeled "Misc stock parts" sitting on the shelf in the garage.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks for the info,,,can I just cut the wires to the switch and twist them together? is it that simple?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 9:00 pm

No, you should probably solder and heat shrink so it doesn't come untwisted at the most inopportune moment
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:10 am

I agree with the solder and heat shrink. If you remove the seat and side cover, you can follow the leads up from the switch to the plug that is tucked in behind the right side of the battery. I cut the wires a couple of inches from the plug on the switch side. Then placed heat shrink over the wire and soldered the connection.
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks for the info,,,,Jason
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My WRR let me down yesterday   My WRR let me down yesterday Empty

Back to top Go down

My WRR let me down yesterday
Page 1 of 1