Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Which Gas Tank To Get?

Go down 
+10
Boondocker
clapped_r6
Ozy
sswrx
taoshum
Vonmeister
little squirt
joenuclear
SheWolf
granite4brains
14 posters
AuthorMessage
granite4brains

granite4brains

Which Gas Tank To Get? Empty
PostSubject: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Well, I'm about to but a new gas tank and I am TORN on which one to get.

(1) The IMS 3.1 sounds nice. But, all the reports of seepage is making me nervous about getting one. Has this issue been resolved, or is this tank somewhat unreliable? Also, 3.1 gallons will definitely help me out but it may come up short in some rides for me. I seem to get 45 mpg (maybe I'm on the throttle too much), but that puts me around 135 miles, maybe. Need to get around 140-150 for a few rides I am thinking about it, but should never need more

(2) Then there's the Safari 3.7 gallon tank. Range will no longer be an issue for me, with this tank, at least not for what I want to do. But, man, that tank looks big and bulky. Plus it has to make the bike fairly top heavy. Will it ruin some of the handling? It's also considerably more money for only .6 more gallons of fuel storage. And , it's sorta vain I know, but the IMS just plain looks better, imho ;-)

So many trade offs in this hobby. But, just curious what others think and have gone with ... and to an pros/cons I'm not thinking of.

Or any news on the IMS tank and the whole seepage issue? I'm leaning towards the IMS and, if the seepage was no longer a problem, I'd just go with that one.

Thanks all.

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 7:37 pm

The issue has been resolved. Which Gas Tank To Get? 61865 The 3.1 will cover the 150 miles EASILY, and it's a nice looking/fitting tank. Not sure what the 4.5 price range is going to be when it becomes available, I'm still working with Chuck on that whole thing. I agree that the extra .6 you get with the Safari isn't worth the big difference in price, to be honest. That's why IMS came out with the 3.1. Better bang for the buck, and isn't hideous looking. Which Gas Tank To Get? 613970

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 8:10 pm

There is something to be said for the protection the Safari offers the radiator. I assume the new IMS will as well.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 3:24 pm

SheWolf wrote:
The issue has been resolved. Which Gas Tank To Get? 61865

Great! I think that just solved it for me ... IMS it is! cheers
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 9:17 pm

yea im in the same boat...want more milage, but the safari seems way to big for my tastes...i may lean toward the 3.1 as well
Back to top Go down
Vonmeister

Vonmeister

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Food for thought. I have been running the Safari tank for over a year now. I have zero complaints about this tank. It does not change the handling of the bike even when full and ridden on sand. The built in shrouds have saved my radiator several times during off road impacts and I get around 220 miles per tank. I agree it is a pricy unit, but I have never once felt I did not get my money's worth out of the deal. I cannot comment on the IMS tank, but I do love the Safari.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 1:00 am

I got over 180 miles from the 3.1 tank last time we went out.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 1:48 pm

taoshum wrote:
I got over 180 miles from the 3.1 tank last time we went out.

wow, that's impressive mileage!

I actually started a thread on MPG in the General Discussion forum. I typically seem to get around 45 MPG, maybe 50 if I'm lucky. So, maybe I'll get ~135-150 on the 3.1?

But, I do hear of a lot of people getting 60+ MPG, which would be real nice.

Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 11:41 am

I got the IMS 3.1 tank with the updated O-ring & had no issues & the tank looks stock to the untrained eye. I get about 65-69 MPG with my 09 X. You may benefit more from the 4.5 gal IMS tank when they start production on it.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 12:14 pm

It seems that the 4.5 will be protecting the rad, by the way the prototype looks. As soon as I hear or see more, I'll post. Which Gas Tank To Get? 61865

joenuclear

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 11:38 pm

I realize they are working hard to build the 4.5 tank. I'm not sure that much capacity is needed. 4.0 would take me a long way. I'm more interested in getting a tank bigger than 3 gallons that is significantly cheaper than Safari. Whatever they build I need to see it soon or Safari will have my money. At my age I understand the old saying, 'You can always make more money, you can never make more time."
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 6:47 pm

It looks like I have no choice but to get a Safari tank. I was on the original IMS waiting list for the 3 gal but after several emails and waiting for a reply on postage cost to Australia the seepage problem popped up so I waited for that problem to be resolved so there were no hassles posting tanks etc across the world. I have now been waiting probably 3 weeks for a reply to my last email now that the new seal is available and the problem seems to be solved.
Back to top Go down
clapped_r6

clapped_r6

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 6:55 pm

i bought the safari early last year because it was the only option, and to tell the truth i haven't looked back. say what you want about the looks but it does the business. after having ims and clark tanks on different bikes, i have to say the safari build quality is top notch.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: gallonage is good   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 11:11 pm

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either the IMS 3.1 or the Safari 3.5. With the bigger tank, in the long run, I have fewer fill-ups to do. That's worth something to me. I'd have gone with the IMS 4.5 if it was real today, but have no regrets about buying a twice used Safari from an inmate on the other forum. I carry a 1-gal Rotopax on my tail when I'm going out there a ways. The side mount 2-gal Rotopax is an option for those who don't want the extra capacity all the time.
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 1:18 am

joenuclear wrote:
There is something to be said for the protection the Safari offers the radiator. I assume the new IMS will as well.

so the question is the extra price paid for the safari worth it when you also add the price of a rad guard to the 3.1 ims setup? you still pay more overall for the safari but you get .4 g.
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 1:21 am

Ozy wrote:
It looks like I have no choice but to get a Safari tank. I was on the original IMS waiting list for the 3 gal but after several emails and waiting for a reply on postage cost to Australia the seepage problem popped up so I waited for that problem to be resolved so there were no hassles posting tanks etc across the world. I have now been waiting probably 3 weeks for a reply to my last email now that the new seal is available and the problem seems to be solved.

man if i was in oz i'd be happy to be buying safari tanks, staintune exhausts plus b&b & whipps skid plates.
everything produced in oz is built unreal burly & frigin expensive in the US.
Back to top Go down
Ozy

Ozy

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 6:19 am

eakins wrote:
Ozy wrote:

man if i was in oz i'd be happy to be buying safari tanks, staintune exhausts plus b&b & whipps skid plates.

Yes I have a B&B bashplate and have had a Whipps rack on a DR650 but the Staintune for the WR looks ugly Rolling Eyes. The reason I was keen for an IMS tank was the $200 difference in price to the Safari but the thing that really sucks is that I can get a Safari tank cheaper from the U.S. than I can get one here in Oz..... eeek
Back to top Go down
Simmo

Simmo

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Ozy wrote:
eakins wrote:
Ozy wrote:

Yes I have a B&B bashplate and have had a Whipps rack on a DR650 but the Staintune for the WR looks ugly Rolling Eyes. The reason I was keen for an IMS tank was the $200 difference in price to the Safari but the thing that really sucks is that I can get a Safari tank cheaper from the U.S. than I can get one here in Oz..... eeek

I share your pain OZY, I didnt get a reply from IMS for postage to Australia either. GAHHHH
The price for the Safari tank is way over the top, maybe because you can only buy it from a Yamaha dealer.
The Aussie made products are great but limited for the WRR. Force Accessories have good radiator guards and bash plates as well.
Back to top Go down
eakins

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 am

that sucks on the safari tank only being avail. at a dealer and more $ than US.
i noticed justgastanks stating they will not ship them (back) to oz.
Ozy wrote:
eakins wrote:
Ozy wrote:

Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 10:39 am

I think that one overlooked factor here (at least it was for me) is the extra vac. pump required with the Safari tank. In the long run it may give problems. The IMS tank on my bike (3.1) allows useage of the intire contents. bone dry at run out which is a plus for me. I have no idea what the IMS 4.5 does in this area. With the 3.1, one can not even tell it is there from stock, Seapping is not an issue any more. My .02 cents worth. Berwyn tough usa
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 2:46 pm

joenuclear wrote:

I have volume tested this in the real world!
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 3:28 pm

So can you get the intire 3.6 out of it at run out?
Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 3:39 pm

I have yet to run out but I have sputtered riding on inclines and then pumped 3.3.

BTW - I meant volume tested the crash survivability but got your drift.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Gas Tank To Get?   Which Gas Tank To Get? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which Gas Tank To Get?
Page 1 of 1