Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

IMS 4.7 gal tank

Go down 
+2
Derogatory Term
thelandman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
thelandman

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Just ordered one. Anything I should be aware of..tips?

thanks!
Back to top Go down
thelandman

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Well, a very easy install. Looks great too. Should be able to go 300miles before looking to fill up.
Back to top Go down
Derogatory Term

Derogatory Term

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:39 pm

Double the fuel sounds awesome. How much did it affect the performance though?
Back to top Go down
thelandman

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:49 pm

No doubt the added weight effects performance, but since this is an everyday commuter..didnt really matter. The VFR fills that need..
Back to top Go down
thelandman

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:41 am

Really liking this IMS tank so far. Low fuel light came on around 160 miles and have over 200 on this first tank full. Just how good is the vacuum pump at pulling the fuel out of wings? At ~70mpg I think I may be able to do 300 miles before filling up?
Back to top Go down
AZNoob

AZNoob

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 8:37 am

thelandman wrote:
Really liking this IMS tank so far. Low fuel light came on around 160 miles and have over 200 on this first tank full. Just how good is the vacuum pump at pulling the fuel out of wings? At ~70mpg I think I may be able to do 300 miles before filling up?

Its been a while now, what are your long term impressions of the 4.7 galloner?

Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:23 am

I actually think there is a little bit of an improvement in handling with the bigger tank  The front end tends to bike better in the dirt and less pushing in turns.  Most of the added fuel is carried low and forward on the bike.

Not sure about the 300 mile range though. My low fuel light comes on around 150 ~ 160 miles and based on what I have left in the tank I am probably good for at least 200 miles. I have never gotten any where near 70 mpg in my riding.  Generally I am usually around 45 or 50 mpg and most of the time I am running 13/48 gearing.  Granted I have some performance tweaks and a heavy throttle hand when ever I ride that bike (just can't help it).  The PC5 is dynotuned for power and the current A/F is at 13.4 across the board.  I probably could dial that back a bit but I really like how the bike performs now.

As far as issues.

Well the installation was pretty straight forward except that I busted off the elbow of the fuel pump when I was removing the old tank.  Operator issue and nothing to do with the tank itself.  If you have an extra pair of hands or a way to support the old tank while removing the fuel line this will make things a lot easier.

I basically replaced my IMS 3 gallon tank with the 4.7 version and one thing that caught my eye was how rough the surface finish was on the fuel pump mating surface for the 4.7 gallon tank.  The 3 gallon tank had a much smoother finish.  Granted IMS gives you a larger gasket to seal but in my mind that rough of a finish just reflects poor workmanship.  So far I have not noticed a leak in that area so I guess everything is good.  However one of my friends has a small leak on his IMS 4.7 tank and it appears to be coming from that area.  He plans on pulling it some time to see what is going on but for now he is riding it as is.

The other thing I have noticed with the tank is that any time the bike sits in one spot I can smell gas.  I noticed this on the 3 gallon tank and the 5 gallon tank I had on my DR650.  I usually don't smell it with the stock tanks so I am guessing that it is the nature of a plastic tank.  I know the material is permeable to gas vapors.  However, I haven't noticed the gas smell with the aftermarket tanks on my Beta and KTM but both of those are Clarke tanks.

Last edited by rsteiger on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
AZNoob

AZNoob

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks for the feedback. I will put this tank on the list with everything else to get.

Back to top Go down
AZNoob

AZNoob

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 11:29 am

Forgot to ask... do you have any aftermarket radiator guards installed with this tank?
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:25 pm

I have the Flatland radiator guard on mine.

There is some interference with the guard and the tank but I bent some of the metal on the guard so the corners did not dig into the tank and then I layered up some of that famous multipurpose do anything material (duct tape) where ever there was contact between the tank and the guard.

At some point I make put the stock plastic shroud back in place since I don't really think you need a rad guard with the 4.7 tank. If you hit something hard enough to bend the radiator then I suspect you are going to have some bigger issues than a bent radiator.
Back to top Go down
AZNoob

AZNoob

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Huron52

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 5:36 pm

I had a flatland guard on before I put my 4.7 IMS tank on and I found the guard dug into the tank so I put the stock plastic one back on. rsteiger is right about the tank protecting the rad in it's design. Those wings of the tank sure do hang down there!
Back to top Go down
Jdcooper

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 9:24 pm

thelandman wrote:
Just ordered one. Anything I should be aware of..tips?

thanks!

There are 2 types of IMS tanks. Both have a brass bung at the lowest level of the "wings" where the low-drain pickup is mounted. One type has the bung threaded into the plastic itself; the other has a brass female insert which makes for a much better seal. IF yours is threaded into the plastic, BE VERY CAREFUL not to overtighten the bung or you'll strip the threads and it will leak. Barely more than finger tight is about all you want. A non fuel-solvable sealer in small quantity helps as well.

Be careful removing the fuel line quick disconnect from the OEM tank. Plenty of folks have damaged them.

While you have the tank off........now would be a good time to replace the fuel pump if the bike is over 4 yrs old. This pump seems to be the weakest link inn the WR. Better changed in your garage than out in the field.

I love my tank. I bought it used for (get this...) $50....problem was it leaked from one of the bungs. A quick shot of aircraft fuel tank sealant fixed that; and it's been flawless since. See my thread on IMS tank repair for all the details.
Merry Christmas !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: IMS 4.7 gal tank   IMS 4.7 gal tank Empty

Back to top Go down

IMS 4.7 gal tank
Page 1 of 1