Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New member in NJ

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
trav72

trav72

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:05 pm

I just got back into riding dirt this past year after almost 20 years on the street. I grew up riding dirt but then I got the speed bug and well.....you know how that goes. Anyway, earlier this year I purchased a DRZ400s as my initial "back to dirt" bike. Long story short, I hated that bike. It was under powered and it felt top heavy. So I sold it and bought an XR650. I loved this bike but it doesn't get it's BRP nickname for nothing. After a day of riding I would be so worn out I could barely get home. I did however love the tractor like torque that it had. I could go over just about anything. But after a few months I decided I wanted something smaller, lighter, very low maintenance and a 6 speed. The WRR fit the bill perfectly. I found a used one a while back and have been riding it ever since. So far I'm pretty happy with it. It's light, flickable and has plenty of power for the type of riding I do. I am a little disappointed with the suspension. Specifically the rear shock. I'm a big guy and new I would need a to re-spring it. But this thing needs a complete re-valve as well. After some research, it seems that's pretty common.

Anyway, I was out riding last week and one of the guys I was with had his Go-Pro going. He took a couple of hours of video. Here are a couple of links that show me on the WRR (black helmet). If you have some time check them out and the other vids as well. There's 9 parts. We had and XR600, DRZ400e, me on the WRR, KTM 690(taking the video) and a Husky TE610.

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 11:21 pm

Welcome to the pack Trav! New member in NJ 61865

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 11:34 am

Hey Trav, I am also in NJ. I bought an X and sold my CR125 because I had no where to ride. I cannot motocross due to an old injury (no jumping) so I LOVE the single track riding in your video.. Where were you. I would get wheels for my X if south jersey. I could go the NJMP Sat and trail riding Sun.. Live would be very good.. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 pm

usgpru27 wrote:
Hey Trav, I am also in NJ. I bought an X and sold my CR125 because I had no where to ride. I cannot motocross due to an old injury (no jumping) so I LOVE the single track riding in your video.. Where were you. I would get wheels for my X if south jersey. I could go the NJMP Sat and trail riding Sun.. Live would be very good.. Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome. Without the risk of getting in "trouble" by certain off road clubs, I can't really say where the single track was on a public forum. It seems there is a lot of "politics" that goes on in this state when it comes to off road riding. Send me a PM and I'll give you a pretty good clue.

I would love to get a set of 17's for my R. But I'm not swapping out brake calipers etc. There must be some sort of bracket where I can use the stock R caliper with the X rotor. If not, I'll have to enlist the help of some friends to build me one if I can find a set of wheels. Especially since the R is the only bike in the stable at the moment. I just sold my beloved VFR800a a few weeks ago. Until I purchase something else for the street this bike is going to have to fulfill all my riding needs. Track time is definitely one of them.
Back to top Go down
inspector

inspector

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Welcome, HI!
Back to top Go down
john92

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Welcome! Are you in the SJ area? I'm near Port Elizabeth.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 10:14 pm

john92 wrote:
Welcome! Are you in the SJ area? I'm near Port Elizabeth.

Yep, near Swedesboro/Woolwich. I just did the Hammer Run down there a few weeks ago. Awesome ride!
Back to top Go down
john92

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Yeah it was a good time. I was there both days as well.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 3:15 pm

john92 wrote:
Yeah it was a good time. I was there both days as well.

I only saw one other WR that passed me when I stopped to wait for some other guys. Did you still have the stock tail light with a broken turn signal?
Back to top Go down
john92

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 9:27 pm

No, Mine is all black and has a headlight guard and a couple small bags on it right now. It has a DRC edge tail light with 12'o clock labs board. It's a little hard to notice as a WRR unless you look right at it.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:26 am

john92 wrote:
No, Mine is all black and has a headlight guard and a couple small bags on it right now. It has a DRC edge tail light with 12'o clock labs board. It's a little hard to notice as a WRR unless you look right at it.

Oh OK. Nope, I didn't see you at all then.

So, are you able to ride in any of those areas down there?
Back to top Go down
john92

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am

trav72 wrote:
So, are you able to ride in any of those areas down there?

Not legally, No. There are a couple spots that were part of it that are real close to my house that I ride once in a while. I am looking into maybe joining Tri-County and helping out with events & trail cutting. That gets you a little bit of access to some of the areas as a little bonus.
I put the IMS tank to the test on day 1. I rode from my house (about 6 miles), then rode the whole day with no re-fuel, then rode home. I probably still had plenty of gas to spare. I never even got to the warning light coming on.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 1:26 pm

john92 wrote:

Not legally, No. There are a couple spots that were part of it that are real close to my house that I ride once in a while. I am looking into maybe joining Tri-County and helping out with events & trail cutting. That gets you a little bit of access to some of the areas as a little bonus.
I put the IMS tank to the test on day 1. I rode from my house (about 6 miles), then rode the whole day with no re-fuel, then rode home. I probably still had plenty of gas to spare. I never even got to the warning light coming on.

So where do you normally ride?

I have the stock tank and still never stopped. Although I didn't ride to the event. But it was nice to fly right past the gas stops without worrying about it. I was a little surprised the fuel light never came on as I was into the revs all day long.
Back to top Go down
john92

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Well, unfortunitely as you know, any offroad riding in NJ is illegal besides private property. I have some semi-secret State land trails that only a few other people ride and other than that it's "breaking the law, breaking the law". beavis
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 6:52 pm

john92 wrote:
Well, unfortunitely as you know, any offroad riding in NJ is illegal besides private property.

That's not correct. I ride every weekend in Wharton and Brendan Byrne State Forrest's and it's 100% legal. You just have to have a NJ plated/insured vehicle.
Back to top Go down
john92

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ EmptyWed Dec 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Well, I believe only the dirt roads down here in the state forests are fully legal. The actual trails are for hiking/biking. There are alot of places people ride. There are no spots designated specifically for dirt bikes. The dual sport factor does cover alot of the legal factors though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New member in NJ Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member in NJ   New member in NJ Empty

Back to top Go down

New member in NJ
Page 1 of 1