Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R   Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 9:07 am

Does/has anybody set up their R for X riding. I would like to be able to switch back and forth with relative ease. I know of Wheeling and http://www.motostrano.com/sucoki.html, but I have been unable to find a kit that would fit my needs without spending upwards of 2K.

Thanks for any advice or problems that have been encountered while doing this. I think a motard set up would be nice and cost far less and take up much less room in the garage than a third bike.
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R   Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 12:12 pm

A year ago I contacted Motostrano and they had nothing that would fit the wrr/x other then the Marchesini which are big bucks, could possibly have changed by now. cheapest option is waiting to find a set come up for sale on here, craigslist, etc..., otherwise I think wheeling is the cheapest option, at least it was a year ago when I was looking.
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R   Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 8:23 am

I exchanged emails with Wheeling yesterday and it would be around $1800 for a set up...still waiting to hear back from a few other places. I think you are right though, Wheeling is most likely the least expensive. For those prices, I think I'll just look for a used SM on craigslist and not deal with changing wheels! I've seen some nice ones in the $2500 range, I was just thinking that using what I already had might be a good choice.
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R   Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 9:45 am

Did Forrest have anything used for the WRR-X conversion ? Spring this year I bought lightly used front/rear WRX rims, front master cylinder and brake caliper, front/rear discs and a rear sprocket, the required spacers & bolts, and new tires for a lot less than $1800.
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R   Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 7:33 pm

craigq wrote:
Did Forrest have anything used for the WRR-X conversion ? Spring this year I bought lightly used front/rear WRX rims, front master cylinder and brake caliper, front/rear discs and a rear sprocket, the required spacers & bolts, and new tires for a lot less than $1800.

Hmmm...I didn't think to inquire about a used set up. That's a good idea. I'm going to see about that...thanks for the suggestion.

The $1800 did include tires, tubes, and everything.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R   Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:33 pm

I bought an X and have stock R dirt wheel setup. So just reverse what I did here to get your desired results! thumb

Easiest thing to do is get a used WRX wheel setup with rotors and sprocket and a complete front brake system. (caliper, line, master cylinder w/lever) keep hunting ebay and craigslist or this forums classifieds. took me about 2 months for my setup to come around.

spacers are the same front and rear, so you will just pull axles and swap wheels, unbolt master cylinder at handle bar and switch the front brake setup over. takes me about 30min in my parking lot.

This is what you'll need but from the X model

Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R Wheels001

Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R Parts056

Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R DSC01425-1

Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R DSC01435-1
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R   Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 4:27 pm

little squirt wrote:
I bought an X and have stock R dirt wheel setup. So just reverse what I did here to get your desired results! thumb

Easiest thing to do is get a used WRX wheel setup with rotors and sprocket and a complete front brake system. (caliper, line, master cylinder w/lever) keep hunting ebay and craigslist or this forums classifieds. took me about 2 months for my setup to come around.

spacers are the same front and rear, so you will just pull axles and swap wheels, unbolt master cylinder at handle bar and switch the front brake setup over. takes me about 30min in my parking lot.

This is what you'll need but from the X model

Thanks for the info squirt. I've read your build up on SM Junkie. Nice work! You've definitely spent a lot of time on the little X to make it what you want. I think I've decided to go ahead and look for a DRZ400SM so I'll have a dedicated SM to mod the way I want.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R   Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks for the compliments! Yea I think u might find out you'll want moto wheels for the R after riding a drz. Just a thought though. Happy new years!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R   Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking about a SUMO set up for the R
Page 1 of 1