Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WRXR

WRXR

A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$? Empty
PostSubject: A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$?   A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$? EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:42 pm

So I am looking to buy an over-the-boots-pant for casual riding around town and for riding longer distances. I live in the Rocky mountains, at the top of the mountain it usually is colder than in the valley, so the pant should be a good all-rounder, for colder and warmer weather. I neither wanna sweat my ass off, nor want to freeze my legs off. It should hold up in a rain shower well, too.
And it should be under 200$.

I found a couple pants but cannot make up my mind. What would you buy and why? Here's my list:

Klim Dakar - 159$
Thor Ride - 139$
Shift Recon - 99$
Fox Shortcut Zip-Off - 159$
Fox Nomad Zip-Off - 99$
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Olympia Air Glide pants   A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$? EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Add Olympia Air Glide pants to your list. I wear them daily for commuting in all weather. In fact, I like them so much that when I found a pair of the 2-series in my size on closeout (3-series now available), I bought them. They're hanging in the closet unused, waiting for the day I need them. I have 4 years of near-daily wear on mine and have suffered only a small hole in the mesh knee from a pavement scraping incident.

I wear size 35 waist, 34 inseam in slacks. The size 36 Air Glides fit over my street clothes with the liner in.

I have 2 pair of boots, 2 helmets, 3 pair of gloves, 3 jackets, 1 pair of pants for street riding. These pants are the only riding gear I haven't been able to improve on. I think I paid $200 for them 4 years ago. So at $25 a year at my usage rate, they are by far the best gear value I own. The moral of that is - if they cost more than $200, they're well worth it.
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$?   A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$? EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 11:59 pm

Ok thanks. Never heard from them. Do they have zippered vents for the hot summers?
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$?   A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$? EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 12:32 am

I use the Olympia air glide in summer. They are mesh. But have a waterproof insulated liner.

For 70 degrees and below, I have the Olympia Ranger 2 pants. They are water proof and warm. Theya also have a water proof insulated liner. But usually just wear fleece sweat pants under them.

Good gear. A bit more expensive.

HAve a look at the Moose expedition pants. I think they are for snow mobile. But Big Dog uses them for adventure rides.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$?   A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$? EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 4:35 pm

I have a pair of THOR Ride pants and they are nice. I don't care for velcro only pocket closures, and they need belt loops IMO, but the girl put those on for me. They are good all-round average cold/hot pants (you'd need long undies and/or some other combo for exceptionally cold or hot - not sure how you'd wear less.)

I found a pair of these afterwards and had to have them shortened for a few bucks, but if you can find these pants in your size (this add is for a size 30 in waist only), I'd pick up a pair.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/9/16075/ITEM/Fox-Racing-Access-Pants---2010.aspx?WT.ac=RichRecs

Back to top Go down
Chief_Lee_Visceral

PostSubject: Re: A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$?   A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$? EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 1:11 am

Since you mentioned rain there three strategies to keep water away from you. Liners, overpants and Gortex. Well four actually but you don't want pants that don't breath. Gortex is going to be 3 times the price but the advantage over liners is the water stays on the outside without soaking and then having to dry. Of course overpants pro/cons are obvious.

If you are riding on the street much you might want to consider Motoport kevlar gear for the safety factor. I personally wouldn't ride on the street with anything coated with polyurethane and always use armour. Going down on the street is not if but when so be prepared. Unfortunately if you are safe on the street you are going to be hot riding slow technical trails because it's either mesh or vents and vents need speed to work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$?   A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$? Empty

Back to top Go down

A good over-the-boot-pant for under 200$?
Page 1 of 1