Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Quick turn signal question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
WRXR

WRXR

Quick turn signal question Empty
PostSubject: Quick turn signal question   Quick turn signal question EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 am

Do I need any adapter plates or mounts to mount aftermarket turn signals?
How big can the stem be max?
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Quick turn signal question   Quick turn signal question EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 am

for the front I had to make my own adaptor plates. I literally took a blue powdercoat sample we had at work (small piece of thin flat metal that was powdercoated as a sample for the color). I just drilled the holes with a hand drill (careful not to cut yourself if the drill bit catches and spins the metal) and cut it to shape with tin snips. you can use any kind of thin sheet metal and spray paint whatever color you want. looks like mine could use some attention in the cosmetic area now but it's not a show bike so I probably won't bother. for the rear I just bought the DRC tail and mounted them to that.
Quick turn signal question Signal1
Back to top Go down
blaisew

PostSubject: Re: Quick turn signal question   Quick turn signal question EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 6:58 pm

[quote="WRXR"]Do I need any adapter plates or mounts to mount aftermarket turn signals?

I just finished mounting turn signals on my WR. No photos yet, but here is what I did. First I removed the stock signals from the mounting brackets, which remained on the bike. There is a large egg shaped hole in the outer bracket angle, obviously of no use in holding a small turn signal stem. Being cheap (I prefer economical), and liking the rubber mounting of the stock bracket, I decided to make the hole smaller. I painted four standard fender washers black to match the brackets, then used black RTV to afix two to the inside of the bracket which covered most of the large opening. When cured, I filled the 1/8" space between outer and inner surfaces of the bracket and then RTV'd the two remaining washers on the outside of the brackets. When cured the RTV not only holds the washers to the face of the brackets but the RTV "filling" positively locks everything in place. Then just bolt the new turnsignal stems thru the holes in the washers (I aligned the holes with a large spike the same diameter of the washer holes while the RTV was wet) and bolt the signals in place. Neat, simple, and cheap! If anyone is interested I'll take a pic and post it. Heck, I'll do it anyway.

Ken thumb Photobucket" border="0" alt=""/>Photobucket" border="0" alt=""/>Photobucket" border="0" alt=""/>

Last edited by blaisew on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WRXR

WRXR

PostSubject: Re: Quick turn signal question   Quick turn signal question EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 7:23 pm

@mattf how bright are those LED turn signals? I found them on ebay and thought about getting them. Can you post another pic with them?

@blaisew great idea, this is how I am going to do it, too then. thumb
Back to top Go down
blaisew

PostSubject: Re: Quick turn signal question   Quick turn signal question EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 7:25 pm

I have to hand it to you computer gurus because figuring out how to link a photo is presently beyond me! I'll keep working on it to show how I mounted the turn signals.

Ken

Ha, figured it out!
Back to top Go down
mattf

PostSubject: Re: Quick turn signal question   Quick turn signal question EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 9:46 pm

they are pretty bright, I'm happy with them. It doesn't take me long to notice if I forget to cancel my turn signal.... I did have one just stop working but it was after an offroading trip, didn't think I did any damage when I layed the bike over on the trail but I must have jarred something loose

Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Quick turn signal question   Quick turn signal question EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 5:14 pm

I mounted mine directly to the headlight headlight bracket
They fit perfectly from there (total obsession with making it look like the factory did it)
On the back a couple of short L brackets off of the mount screws
Everything tucks in nicely, I would post pics but iPad makes that a PITA
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick turn signal question   Quick turn signal question Empty

Back to top Go down

Quick turn signal question
Page 1 of 1