Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Western PA riding

Go down 
+3
inspector
YamWOW!
BPG
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BPG

BPG

Western PA riding Empty
PostSubject: Western PA riding   Western PA riding EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 8:34 am

Right now I'm up at my folks' place in Western PA; LOTS of great riding to be had! :dance3:

The structure to the left is an old oil storage tank, left over from a turn of the century oil boom.
Western PA riding 003

Village of Lucinda, PA where I grew up. Spent 6 years in the Catholic Grade School beside the church, usually walked home about a mile through the woods.Western PA riding 006

Here's another shot I took last summer from the XL - got some biiiiig air on this jump.. Very happy I have quite a few generations of ancestors buried in the cemetery to the right, going back to the Irish and German immigrants that came over in the mid-1800s; true pioneer stock as this area was still wilderness. Plenty of legends about wolves and panthers and such from the early days are passed down from generation to generation. 👍
Western PA riding STJOSEPH

"Downtown" at the Lucinda train station. Up until a few years ago the tracks/station were still used intermittently for lumber shipments from Canada. The structure to the left is an old grain mill - I remember sneaking in and exploring it as a teen when it was abandoned, lotta cool stuff in there at that time. Since then it's been restored as a home/B&B, it'd be interesting to see the renovations:
Western PA riding 008

I read somewhere that a few miles of RR tracks will settle down the suspension of a new bike, so... Always wanted to ride these tracks anyway.
Western PA riding 010

First biff! I popped the front wheel off the rail just fine, rear wheel just didn't follow suit; scooted along the rail for a few feet and then whipped me down...
Western PA riding 013
:conf44: Very happy

OK, now onto some dirt roads, plenty of these in the area:
Western PA riding 014

There are countless ATV trails also, and none are gated/posted/etc. Just ride!
Western PA riding 017

Nice place for a RR break. This was at the edge of a field maybe a mile from the nearest home, still semi-operational! Very happy
Western PA riding 019

Oh yeah! These are all within 5 miles of where I grew up... Never had an ATV/dirtbike as a kid, so this whole day was like Christmas as I rolled along!
Western PA riding 021

Western PA riding 027

At the top of a long-abandoned strip mine (plenty of those in the area). Riiight in the middle is the tower of the courthouse; this is the "big town" Very happy of Clarion where my Dad taught high school and I attended college.
Western PA riding 030

Rolling down the other side of the hill from the previous pic, I found a sweet ATV trail that lead down a steep hillside to here. I can remember Dad taking us kids on an epic hike many moons ago and finding this place, never remembered where it was so I hadn't seen it in maybe 25 years. It appears to be an old abandoned hunting/summer camp deep in the woods beside a nice stream - nearest house is probably 3 miles away.
Western PA riding 040

The main cabin is actually still in decent shape, although guessing it hasn't been used since the early 70's (based on some magazines found inside!Very happy). Very nice stonework, fireplace and such.
Western PA riding 041

The other two cabins are a little worse for wear:
Western PA riding 042

Western PA riding 043

Another shot looking up. Just out of view to the right flows the stream, beside it appears to be an old bathhouse; plenty of tiny divided rooms assumed for changing clothes. Maybe this was an old Scout camp, I'm going to ask some older folks in the area about the history of the place...
Western PA riding 049

Miles and miles of this stuff!
Western PA riding 044

Western PA riding 046

Western PA riding 047

Lots of creek crossings:
Western PA riding 048

All in all the bike did fine. REALLY needs some true dirt tires and a bit lower gearing for the mud and technical stuff. The stock 50/50 tires really blow in the mud, rear end is squirming all over the place. Suspension just blows my mind, especially now that it's set up for my weight. Really liking the bike more every time I ride it.:applause:
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
Admin
YamWOW!

Western PA riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western PA riding   Western PA riding EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 8:44 am

Cool ride! thumb That's what it's all about finding the old stuff that most others will never see.

inspector

Western PA riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western PA riding   Western PA riding EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 11:47 am

ThAT is just.....sweeeeeet.
Back to top Go down
SpiritWolf15

SpiritWolf15

Western PA riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western PA riding   Western PA riding EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 1:28 pm

Beautiful pictures. I wonder if there are any areas like that up here in BC...
Back to top Go down
mwakey

mwakey

Western PA riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western PA riding   Western PA riding EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 7:34 pm

Great shots. I'm jealous! bow That's the kind of riding I remember when I was growing up in Illinois. Now I'm stuck with the boring flat roads of south Florida.
Back to top Go down
Addicted

Western PA riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western PA riding   Western PA riding EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 12:55 pm

mwakey wrote:
Great shots. I'm jealous! bow That's the kind of riding I remember when I was growing up in Illinois. Now I'm stuck with the boring flat roads of south Florida.
I suppose there are a few (and I stress few) nice things about living up here!
Woods riding is great around here (I'm 1 hr north of where BPG was riding).
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Western PA riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western PA riding   Western PA riding EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Tib, a lot of the fire patrol rout I run is quite similar. thumb

inspector

Western PA riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western PA riding   Western PA riding EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 2:26 pm

I've looked through this RR a few times now. Still like it.

*I expect to see a few more posted this weekend from people!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Western PA riding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Western PA riding   Western PA riding Empty

Back to top Go down

Western PA riding
Page 1 of 1