Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?

Go down 
+5
stumo
0007onWR
dtx
PYG RYDR
lukachuki
9 posters
AuthorMessage
lukachuki

Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? Empty
PostSubject: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Hello all.....

I don't post much but am a proud owner of a 08. I have a gps hard wired (with fuse) to my battery and some dumb nuts (no names) left the gps on pretty much draining the battery.

Due to the fact that I've successfully bump started this bike in the past, I tried it again multiple times to no avail. So the battery is now charged but I cant get it to fire. I can hear the fuel pump engage but all it does is crank, no attempt to run. Did I fry the fuel pump or something worse?

Any ideas out there?
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:37 am

lukachuki wrote:
Hello all.....

I don't post much but am a proud owner of a 08. I have a gps hard wired (with fuse) to my battery and some dumb nuts (no names) left the gps on pretty much draining the battery.

Due to the fact that I've successfully bump started this bike in the past, I tried it again multiple times to no avail. So the battery is now charged but I cant get it to fire. I can hear the fuel pump engage but all it does is crank, no attempt to run. Did I fry the fuel pump or something worse?

Any ideas out there?

Maybe check the kill switch and make sure it is on
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 8:49 am

check the fuse behind the left rad shroud,tripped mine a few times messing with the wires .
Back to top Go down
lukachuki

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:58 am

Both great ideas. My bet is on the kill switch.....i never ever use it but it might of got switched. That stupid thing has buggered me up before. It would also explain why we couldn't bump start it. I only hope its that simple. I will consult with the fuse as well if needed.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:18 pm

Just for future reference if you have no fuel pressure the engine will never start by bump starting, if the battery is totally flat you will have neither fuel pressure or ignition, it's not mag CDI it's TCI so no battery power means no spark
A low battery will probably still do it but totally dead flat it's not going to happen
Usually just put's you at the bottom of the hill with a bike that won't start LOL
Back to top Go down
stumo

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:38 pm

try the sidestand switch.
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:42 pm

It doesn't crank if it's the kill switch or the sidestand switch. I'd check fuses
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 3:49 pm

lukachuki wrote:
Both great ideas. My bet is on the kill switch.....i never ever use it but it might of got switched. That stupid thing has buggered me up before. It would also explain why we couldn't bump start it. I only hope its that simple. I will consult with the fuse as well if needed.

Thanks

Curious-let us know the result dddog
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 12:43 pm

kjharn wrote:
It doesn't crank if it's the kill switch or the sidestand switch. I'd check fuses

^^^^^^^ thumb

If either of those were the problem the motor would not turn at all.
Back to top Go down
lukachuki

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Hertz wrote:
kjharn wrote:

^^^^^^^ thumb

If either of those were the problem the motor would not turn at all.

Yes you are correct i discovered today. Like i said I don't think i've ever used the kill switch....but it won't even turn over if it is off. I finally decided to start out with the simplest thing I could think of and took the tank off and dug down to the sparkplug. I was surprised how far down in the cylinder casing the sparkplug is buried. That critter is way down there.

Anyway i pulled the plug and it was soaked which told me I was getting fuel.....it was sparking nicely against the frame so I just blew the plug off and put it back in and the bike fired right up. Not sure what I did and not sure what the problem was/is except that maybe it was just flooded from the bump starting.

Any idears?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 3:33 am

The battery was too dead to allow a bump start???? scratch
Back to top Go down
lukachuki

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 am

YZEtc wrote:

Yeah I suspect that is the case. Still doesn't explain to me why it finally started after many attempts ONLY after taking out the spark plug blowing it out with compressed air and then putting it back in.

Well at the very least I'm glad it was not something major. I'll prob put a new sparkplug in while I have it torn apart.
Back to top Go down
GaryH

GaryH

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 6:30 pm

lukachuki wrote:
YZEtc wrote:

Yeah I suspect that is the case. Still doesn't explain to me why it finally started after many attempts ONLY after taking out the spark plug blowing it out with compressed air and then putting it back in.

Well at the very least I'm glad it was not something major. I'll prob put a new sparkplug in while I have it torn apart.

You were just flooded. Glad you got it worked out. thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?   Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did Bump Starting Blow up my bike?
Page 1 of 1