Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
granite4brains

granite4brains

IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install Empty
PostSubject: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Well, I finally got my IMS 3.1 gallon tank and installed it today. It went pretty smooth except for the last step - putting on the seat. Doesn't go on quite as nicely as before and there are gaps now on the sides, as it no lonmger sits as flush. It's a stock seat. Pictures below. Anybody else have the same problem?

The pics in this thread, https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t2168p160-ims-oversized-tanks
shows the seat with a much better git?

I also let it run for a good 15 mins and didnt see any leaks, so looks like that O-ring might be working. Ill take it for a test drive later and really find out.

IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install Img_7410

IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install Img_7411

Last edited by granite4brains on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vwsandman

vwsandman

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Maybe not hooked under the seat in the front? Many have made that mistake before...I know I did...got tokinda bend it to hook it, more so now than with the stock tank...
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 4:10 pm

vwsandman wrote:
Maybe not hooked under the seat in the front? Many have made that mistake before...I know I did...got tokinda bend it to hook it, more so now than with the stock tank...

Hi vwsandman,
yep, Ive definitely done that before too wink but not this time. I was hoping that was my probem at first
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 5:40 pm

well, after my test drve, I took the seat off and reinstalled ... now it fits fine dunno

Who knows what was going on there. Anyhow, if an op doesn't mind ... might as well delete this post. won't serve much use to the community at this point
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 5:53 pm

VWSandman is correct, you may only be looking at the hook on the tank, there is a "tongue" if you will located near the front of the seat where the seat pan sweeps upward. Look at the cross brace on the frame and you can see where the tongue slides under. Grab the horn of the seat and the rear and bend them slightly, start back a couple inches from the tank and take a 45 degree angle, as you install down then forward watch the slot in the horn of the seat to catch the tank mount. If you line everything up right the seat will sit down in the front (fixing your gap) and may have a few wrinkles in the seat cover where it sweeps upward. Somewhere I posted my install, and in one pic you can see the wrinkles in the seat cover.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 7:13 pm

oldirt wrote:
VWSandman is correct, you may only be looking at the hook on the tank, there is a "tongue" if you will located near the front of the seat where the seat pan sweeps upward. Look at the cross brace on the frame and you can see where the tongue slides under. Grab the horn of the seat and the rear and bend them slightly, start back a couple inches from the tank and take a 45 degree angle, as you install down then forward watch the slot in the horn of the seat to catch the tank mount. If you line everything up right the seat will sit down in the front (fixing your gap) and may have a few wrinkles in the seat cover where it sweeps upward. Somewhere I posted my install, and in one pic you can see the wrinkles in the seat cover.

Yes, as mentioned, both areas - the hook and the "tongue" - were seated just fine the 1st time.

The only thing I noted odd was that one of the side panels were stuck out and not under the seat.
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 7:24 pm

That would do it. Glad you worked it out, IMS was getting a lot of flack about that, seems it was user related more than a manufacture issue.
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 11:53 pm

oldirt wrote:
That would do it. Glad you worked it out, IMS was getting a lot of flack about that, seems it was user related more than a manufacture issue.

Thanks oldirt! Yeah, I figured it had to be user error somehow - especially with me as the mechanic! poser2

Overall, the IMS tank installed real nicely, especially after hearing about some other people's not-so-good experiences with other tanks/bikes.

Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 3:16 pm

OK, how about this, (looks like your in Ridgecrest) I am going to a Charity ride 2/25 (Friday) put on by So Cal Edison out near Trona Rd. If you are interested I will get more info to you. I think it will be a 60 mile loop with festivities. Always fun to have another "R" around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Granite, Now that you have the seat figured out, are you happy with this tank? Did the stock shrouds fit back as I would hope that they would? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a bigger tank. The IMS 3.1 seems like the right one for me as I want to keep the stock shrouds and I am mainly interested in restoring my range back to what it used to be...
Back to top Go down
granite4brains

granite4brains

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:30 pm

oldirt wrote:
OK, how about this, (looks like your in Ridgecrest) I am going to a Charity ride 2/25 (Friday) put on by So Cal Edison out near Trona Rd. If you are interested I will get more info to you. I think it will be a 60 mile loop with festivities. Always fun to have another "R" around.

Thanks oldirt, I'm actually going to be riding in the Death Valley Rally that weekend (put on by Countdown ala District 37). It's actually the 26th-28th - but with 600 miles of riding, I think I have my work cut out for me already ;-)

ddvorak wrote:
Granite, Now that you have the seat figured out, are you happy with this tank? Did the stock shrouds fit back as I would hope that they would? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a bigger tank. The IMS 3.1 seems like the right one for me as I want to keep the stock shrouds and I am mainly interested in restoring my range back to what it used to be...

ddvorak,

The shrouds and the seat are both a little harder to get on than with the stock tank, but it's not bad. So, you can definitely keep the stock shrouds, etc.

I've only had it out on a short test drive so far. The tank feels/looks a bit bulkier than the stock when you're sitting on the bike, but I didn't even notice a difference while actually riding.

I haven't had the tank filled all the way up yet, which I guess would make the bike more top heavy, but sounds like the general consensus from most folks is that it's barely noticeable while riding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install   IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install Empty

Back to top Go down

IMS 3.1 Gallon Tank Install
Page 1 of 1