Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Softing up the front suspension

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dwsmith

Softing up the front suspension Empty
PostSubject: Softing up the front suspension   Softing up the front suspension EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Most of the bikes I have owned seem to be very harsh on the fire roads and rocky trails I ride. A friend of mine had dialed his WR's suspension in and I wanted to duplicate his efforts. I basically took all the shims out of the front forks compression piston which are taken out via the bottom of the forks. Some will poo poo this, but if it feels good it must be right.

Softing up the front suspension 1193661999_RtBEV-L

Shims Removed

Softing up the front suspension 1193580482_G6kFe-L
Back to top Go down
bajaharley

PostSubject: Cheap suspension mod that works   Softing up the front suspension EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 12:33 am

For the guys that like to hammer it this mod may not work for you but if you like to run down the rocky trails
at modest speeds and are willing to slow down for the big stuff, this mod works great and costs vertually nothing.
Back to top Go down
bajaharley

PostSubject: suspension   Softing up the front suspension EmptyTue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 am

We have to credit John Brooks of Southwest Suspension for suggesting this mod...http://swsuspension.com/
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Softing up the front suspension   Softing up the front suspension EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 9:04 am

How hard is it to pull all that out from the bottom of the forks? Do you need to do anything else first, like loosen the top side? Will the springs try to come flying out of there? scratch I want to soften mine up and increase my sag since I only weigh 140#.
Back to top Go down
dwsmith

PostSubject: Re: Softing up the front suspension   Softing up the front suspension EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 3:51 pm

zone47 wrote:
How hard is it to pull all that out from the bottom of the forks? Do you need to do anything else first, like loosen the top side? Will the springs try to come flying out of there? scratch I want to soften mine up and increase my sag since I only weigh 140#.

Looks like John Brooks will have to fill you in on the details. hide

I am on my Droid right now. When I get to a computer I will give the details unless John chimes in first.

amazon
Back to top Go down
dwsmith

PostSubject: Re: Softing up the front suspension   Softing up the front suspension EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 11:08 pm

You have to remove the forks. Flip them upside down. Remove the little rubber plug, if it is still there, it keeps the dirt and muck out of that area. Clean out any debris that is down inside the area because once you remove the fitting that holds the shim stack any debris in that area can fall down into the internals of the fork. Now comes the slightly difficult part. We used an electric impact driver with the proper hex key socket on the end (don't know the size). You need a second set of hands to compress the forks some to put pressure on the piece you are removing. Use the impact or some other means to turn the fitting. Once it breaks loose release the pressure and let the fork extend otherwise you are going to see old faithful in your garage. Now remove the shims as outlined above and reassemble. Also now would be a good time to replace your fork fluid. Mine was extremely dirty after 8,000 miles. If you do change the fork fluid you have to put some in and burp the fork by compressing it and releasing to get the fluid in the fork.
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Softing up the front suspension   Softing up the front suspension EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 9:39 am

dwsmith wrote:
You have to remove the forks. Flip them upside down. Remove the little rubber plug, if it is still there, it keeps the dirt and muck out of that area. Clean out any debris that is down inside the area because once you remove the fitting that holds the shim stack any debris in that area can fall down into the internals of the fork. Now comes the slightly difficult part. We used an electric impact driver with the proper hex key socket on the end (don't know the size). You need a second set of hands to compress the forks some to put pressure on the piece you are removing. Use the impact or some other means to turn the fitting. Once it breaks loose release the pressure and let the fork extend otherwise you are going to see old faithful in your garage. Now remove the shims as outlined above and reassemble. Also now would be a good time to replace your fork fluid. Mine was extremely dirty after 8,000 miles. If you do change the fork fluid you have to put some in and burp the fork by compressing it and releasing to get the fluid in the fork.

Ahh Ha!! Reminds me of maintenance on my old IT175 years ago. Thanks for the detailed info. I think what I'll do is put another 1,000 miles on it and then change things out. I only have 900 miles as is. I'll have to research and see what oil is the best to use.

Back to top Go down
bajaharl

PostSubject: suspension   Softing up the front suspension EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

I was all hot get some gold valves...but this little mod did the trick for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Softing up the front suspension   Softing up the front suspension Empty

Back to top Go down

Softing up the front suspension
Page 1 of 1