Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Top five modifications???

Go down 
+9
craigq
Jäger
DougZ
rydnseek
Hertz
SheWolf
trav72
motokid
47une
13 posters
AuthorMessage
47une

47une

Top five modifications??? Empty
PostSubject: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:47 am

Hi all,

I just purchased an unmodified WR250R. I was just looking to get peoples opinions (I know they will all be different and that is a good thing) on if they had their time again, what would be the first five modifications in order of importance? It may be for comfort, speed, handling whatever. Also from minor cheap things to large expensive things.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:06 am

In no particular order:

efi programmer
pipe
open airbox (flapper mod) & AIS removal
sprocket/gearing change
tires

From an aesthetic perspective:

remove seat strap
cut or replace front fender
barkbusters & handguards
rear fender replacement
bash-plate

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:18 am

Hand barkbusters/guards are NOT an aesthetic change for the R.

If it were me I would do:

1. Set the suspension properly(SAG/Race SAG)
2. lower the gearing
3. Uncork it
4. Barkbusters/hand guards
5. Skid Plate
6. Pipe/Programmer

motokid wrote:
In no particular order:

efi programmer
pipe
open airbox (flapper mod) & AIS removal
sprocket/gearing change
tires

From an aesthetic perspective:

remove seat strap
cut or replace front fender
barkbusters & handguards
rear fender replacement
bash-plate

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:41 am

Forgot one....

replace mickey mouse mirrors..... Very happy

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:37 am

I have tried to keep up with all of the mods and there are only 2 simple ones that I would not give up. My Pro Moto Billet Fastway F5 footpegs mounted in the Low Boy position and the higher and wider Pro Taper Pastrana FMX bars. For you tall ones out there, the improved comfort and control is amazing. So my five would be:

1. Footpegs
2. Handlebars
3. Rack/Tailbag
4. FMF Package
5. Uncork it
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 am

Interesting to see the differences in what people prioritize. Very happy

First thing I did was toss the tires. For the riding I do, they suck (anything loose, be prepared to be launched).
**Second was lower it (this includes setting the sag). Because I'm short, it was definitely a must to be able to touch the ground somewhere on the bike besides just the tires. eeek
Third were the barkbusters.
Fourth was the rad guard/skidplate, disc gaurds.
Fifth was remove the AIS/EXUP and replace with programmer and pipe.

**If you don't need to lower it, then do the suspension.

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:37 am

It really all depends on how you'll ride the bike.

If you plan to run a lot of offroad:
- tires
- skid plate, rad guard
- gearing change
- hand guards
- bars

in no particular order, followed by the performance mods such as a programmer, exhaust, airbox mods.
Back to top Go down
rydnseek

rydnseek

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 am

I have an x, so my top five would be:

1. Traction: tires. i got shinko 244's. But any good dirt worthy tires or tires for whatever surfaces you find yourself on.
2. Protection: skidplate, handguards. These count as 1 mod & protect the bike.
3. Power: airbox, pipe. Also one mod, opening it up. This includes removing the exup, ais, etc.
4. Comfort: seat. For adventure riding, a must.
5. Distance: tank. ditto.

I also have higher bars, lowering link, fuel programmer, lights, horn, & other miscellaneous stuff, but my top 5 are above. I consider setting the sag & adjusting the clickers as tuning, not a mod. I also don't consider bling to be a mod.. that's just individualizing it. Plastic, stickers, etc are eye candy & are in the eye of the beholder, & they don't affect the rideablilty of the bike.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Being that I just got a new 2010 WRR myself, this is what I have done and planned.

Just changed the bars this weekend, to some Renthals I had laying around. I got two sets new, from a guy for $25, when I had the DRZ. He had upgraded to fat bars and did not have any use for those.

I also added Moose Racing hand guards. Took off the right mirror all together and the left will be replaced this week as soon as my Doubletake mirror comes in. Grips will be replaced this week too, with Progrip 714's. I put them on every bike I own.

I also changed the stock tires this weekend as well. It took less then 29 miles for the stock trailing wings to send me to the ground. People say they suck in loose stuff....and loose stuff is all I ride. Put on a set of Pirelli XCMH's, which I sold the DRZ with. They were good tires for what we ride. Also added in rim locks and heavy duty tubes. I tend to pinch tubes when mounting tires, if not heavy duty.

Flatlands skiplate should be coming in this week, as well as Ivans Freedom case saver. Both of those will be installed as soon as I get them.

Suspension: I am gonna mess with the settings to get it as good as I can for now. If it does not work the way I need it to, I am prepared to send the rear shock out to Go Race suspension.

Uncorking: I need to do that, but since still under warranty, I want to only uncork that which I can recork if I need to bring it back to the dealer.

Airfilters: I can not find a spare online. Is this a dealer only airfilter????
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 2:04 pm

47une wrote:
I just purchased an unmodified WR250R. I was just looking to get peoples opinions (I know they will all be different and that is a good thing) on if they had their time again, what would be the first five modifications in order of importance? It may be for comfort, speed, handling whatever. Also from minor cheap things to large expensive things.
For adventure/exploration riding and general dual sporting?

1. Engine protection - ski plate and rad guard
2. Cycra Pro Bends
3. Seat Concepts seat
4. Disk guards
5. Higher volume gas tank

If you're going to be in lots of muddy/loose stuff, then swap the tires out somewhere in #3, I guess. I run an environmentally sensitive Deathwing disposal/recycling operation, so you can always send those horribly dangerous tires to me to get rid of them before you or somebody else gets hurt. I have a standing offer on that. For hard dirt roads, trails, and slab, they are a pretty good tire. In the really loose stuff or mud, they are ugly.

If you're about how fast you make the trip from point A to point B, instead of about the journey itself, then do the engine mods, do the pipe and programmer thing, drop the gearing. Otherwise, the stock pipe and gearing is fine - people have done very long multiday offroad trips and 50/50 dual sport riding just fine with the stock setup and no complaints whatsoever.

Properly setting up the suspension to your liking is not a mod, in my opinion, just a bike adjustment, and it should go without saying that you tweak those settings to suit your weight and how you ride.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Jäger wrote:

Properly setting up the suspension to your liking is not a mod, in my opinion, just a bike adjustment, and it should go without saying that you tweak those settings to suit your weight and how you ride.

Unfortunately a lot of people never touch their suspension. They just get on and ride. In doing so they lose out on the much more enjoyable experience of riding a properly set up bike. In fact, I believe it should be the absolute first thing addressed on a any motorcycle. Whether that would require a re-valve, new springs or just set it up correctly. So adding suspension to the 'mod' list I think is perfectly acceptable. Don't get caught up in the semantics. Even if it's only an adjustment.
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 4:15 pm

1. Protection: Rad Guard/Skid Plate/hand guards etc.
3. Adjust suspension accordingly.
3. If a WRR get a WRX wheelset | if a WRX get a WRR wheelset.

I know that's not five...
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Motion sensing & infrared scanner equipped theft deterrent alarm system to keep hoodlums from stealing your new WR. Then, all the other mods that everyone said to do.
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:22 pm

1. Skid Plate
3. Adjust suspension
3. Good tires
4. Good handlebars
5. DRC Edge2 Tail light with 12oclocklabs DRC Edge2 Processor Upgrade Board(eliminates blinkers that will break off in a spill)
Back to top Go down
combo

combo

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 3:14 am

It's a personal thing, depends what you want from the bike, I need mine to be a dirt bike, commuter and occasionally an adv bike so here's my list

1 d606 tires
2 flexx bars
3 oury grips
4 handguards
5 skid plate

Maybe later to make my wrr a little more trail friendly I will include:

6 q4 pipe with an 02 sensor + other derestricting/weight loss mods, won't need a programmer with the 02
7 autoclutch
Back to top Go down
njbill

njbill

PostSubject: Re: Top five modifications???   Top five modifications??? EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 8:14 am

Motokid and I did the same top 5. thumb

After these top 5, I did the following:
skid plate
radiator guard
new seat
bark busters
1 1/8" bars and risers
3.1 gallon tank
Yamaha rear rack
Folding mirrors

motokid wrote:
In no particular order: