Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Merging of the gear.....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DougZ

DougZ

Merging of the gear..... Empty
PostSubject: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 8:37 pm

When I had the DRZ 400, a buddy from work gave me a set of dirtbagz and racks. He had a DRZ one point, and still had the bags after he got rid of the bike. He was nice enough to pass them along to me.

I had the racks on the DRZ for a bit, and before I could use them, one of them broke. IMO, their design actually leads to it. They take 5/8 thin walled tubing, and flatten, then bend it where they want a mounting point. That bend is of course a very weak spot..and that is right where mine broke. Anyway, I sold the DRZ, so those racks were useless now anyway.

BUT, the Dirtbags were still in fine shape. really well made...dirty, but fine to use for many more years. I did upgrade them by adding some strapping and heavy duty quick release clips.

I have seen the Dirt Bagz racks for WRR. I really do not like the way they look, and based on what happened with the other set, I did not really want to buy a set for the WRR.

One other option did jump out to me. I have a a couple different Wolfman bags...an enduro tank bag, alfa-better duffel, as well as one of their vinyl dry duffels. I decided to look into their racks. Much beefier, sturdier, and mounted better than the dirtbagz ones. I also think the wolfman racks will keep the bag off the exhaust better.

See where I am going......you there yet???.....I am gonna use the wolfman racks with the dirt bagz bags. The bags can be held in basically the same position on the wolf racks as they would be with the dirtbagz rack. Instead of the metal loop that is on bag of dirtbagz rack and slides into a pocket on the rear of the bag, I will use a small cinch strap I'll make up. The clip and strap on the front of the bag, that pulls it tight, can hook on a hook that will be bolted onto the rear passenger mount bolt. The cross over weight bearing straps will still work as normal.

Now the weather just needs to get here and I am good to go do my camping/riding trip.

Many words...where are pics?? Of course, they are below:

Merging of the gear..... Wrrracks1

Merging of the gear..... Wrrracks2

Merging of the gear..... Wrrracks3

Merging of the gear..... Wrrracks4

Merging of the gear..... Wrrracks5

Merging of the gear..... Wrrracks6
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:42 am

What weather ? Looks ready to go to me !
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 7:19 am

Still getting a tad chilly overnights here. If I head to the mountains, it will be even colder.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:26 am

DougZ wrote:
Still getting a tad chilly overnights here. If I head to the mountains, it will be even colder.
Yes, I just looked out the window and it is snowing again. Looks like it won't be more than a skiff, however. It isn't the cold, that's not bad; it's the condition of the roads.

My WR and I are both sulking. I've got some camping tweaks I want to try, and if I could get into the headwaters of the rivers the bull trout will be running.

But soon... very soon.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:30 am

I am looking to probably do my first camping trip in June. No doubt the weather will be great for it then.

I know some guys are die hard into the camping side of things, but for me, its more about just the riding. If the weather is chilly, I have no issue staying at a cheap hotel for the night.
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 am

DougZ wrote:
I have no issue staying at a cheap hotel for the night.

That's how I like to camp. deal
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 am

Just get your crap together for the TNJT trip, this year. Very happy
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 11:41 am

I've already got it together.

Merging of the gear..... MasterCard-logo-473B8726A9-seeklogo.com
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 6:59 pm

That is to buy camping gear with, right?? As there is no credit card machine in the middle of the woods. Very happy
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 pm

There isn't really a 'middle of the woods' in NJ.
Back to top Go down
DougZ

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 7:27 pm

Consider it practice for a real trip someday. wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Merging of the gear.....   Merging of the gear..... Empty

Back to top Go down

Merging of the gear.....
Page 1 of 1