Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Flatland Skid Plate

Go down 
+18
spidersoup
taoshum
thumpjump
olddog
Dancamp
astraflyr
texascycle
wahilde
DirtFarmer
CaptTurbo
Jäger
SheWolf
CDNSXV
derm75
Don T
gas_pig70
ZED
Reschly
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Reschly

Reschly

Flatland Skid Plate Empty
PostSubject: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 6:21 am

I like many have installed a flatland skid plate, the first time I rode it, I thought it something was wrong with the motor but it was just skid plate noise. So I remove the plate lined it with rubber and also rubber directly between the frame and plate good to go I thought NOT. As I got to looking again the back corners of the plate were still in contact with the frame and had .125 inch grooves worn in the plate. got out the grinder reshaped the rear of the plate so it cleared these spots added .375 inch rubber washers under the rear mount bolts and two strips of bicycle inner tube up the front and now it sounds almost like it did before it was added wings
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 9:34 am

I'm starting to think that I'm the only person that just bolted it up and didn't look back. I had been planning on rubber gasketing it, but forgot. Mine doesn't seem to add any vibration or noise.

dunno
Back to top Go down
gas_pig70

gas_pig70

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 12:13 pm

As I noted in a previous post the Flatland guard had to be modified a bit before it fit correctly. I used my vice and a rubber mallet to remove the rear-most break/bend that's near the oil drain hole. I also turned down the rear corners a bit to avoid frame contact. Now the whole bottom is pretty much flat. I mounted it with some rubber weather stripping as well and it works perfectly now.

Last edited by gas_pig70 on Mon May 18, 2009 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Don T

Don T

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptySun May 17, 2009 2:20 am

ZED you are not the only one.
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:28 am

Me too. Just stuck it on and that's that...
Back to top Go down
CDNSXV

CDNSXV

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon May 18, 2009 1:09 pm

And where does one get this skid plate?

I have been playing on stairs and finding the WRX drags the frame rails going over the edge which will eventually destroy the frame. We have the Yamaha skid plate but that doesn't protect the frame at all. tough
Back to top Go down
gas_pig70

gas_pig70

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon May 18, 2009 1:14 pm

CDNSXV wrote:
And where does one get this skid plate?

I have been playing on stairs and finding the WRX drags the frame rails going over the edge which will eventually destroy the frame. We have the Yamaha skid plate but that doesn't protect the frame at all. tough
http://flatlandracing.com/
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon May 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Thats' why I went with the B&B. No messing around, just bolt it up and off you go.

CDNSXV

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon May 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Quote :
Thats' why I went with the B&B. No messing around, just bolt it up and off you go.

Come on, you can't make a post like that without telling us where you got it from. scratch
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon May 18, 2009 2:05 pm

*grins* Woops...well it came from here. Well worth the cash and only took 5 days to get here, which was pretty fast, all things considered. thumb

gas_pig70

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon May 18, 2009 2:37 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I'm plenty happy with the Flatland skidpltate even if I had to 'customize' it a bit. I like the air holes up front and the fact that the side wings protect the water pump housing pretty well.

Last edited by gas_pig70 on Mon May 18, 2009 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon May 18, 2009 2:58 pm

That's the main thing, right? I just liked the idea this one utilized the rear engine mounts for two of the mounting spots, already came with the rubber insulation and washing stuff out is pretty easy.

Reschly

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon May 18, 2009 6:06 pm

Here is a little mod I made to my Flatland. Just was a little worried about that hose hangin out there

https://servimg.com/view/13534691/16
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon May 18, 2009 9:19 pm

Interesting addition. That certainly gives it even more protection.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyTue May 19, 2009 2:14 am

SheWolf wrote:
*grins* Woops...well it came from here. Well worth the cash and only took 5 days to get here, which was pretty fast, all things considered. thumb

I didn't look that closely, but are you obligated to use PayHell or is there a credit card option that isn't linked to PayHell. I like the look of that bash plate, but absolutely refuse to have anything to do with those nasty thieves at PayHell. I don't like their business ethics and I don't like their politics.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyTue May 19, 2009 8:44 am

Nope, didn't have to use that. I shot Wendy an e-mail and she took my Visa no problem. thumb Great people to deal with.

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyTue May 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Jäger wrote:
SheWolf wrote:

I didn't look that closely, but are you obligated to use PayHell or is there a credit card option that isn't linked to PayHell. I like the look of that bash plate, but absolutely refuse to have anything to do with those nasty thieves at PayHell. I don't like their business ethics and I don't like their politics.

Dare I ask, ... What are their politics? lurk
Back to top Go down
DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 9:16 pm

I rode into Flatland and the owner bolted it on in less than 5 minutes and then we took off riding.

Never a problem one.

Nice clean shop with good equipment and people who know how to use it.

And yes I have some feebies from Flatland for use of my bike, but the skidplate was not one of them.

Now check this out:

http://flatlandracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FR&Product_Code=12-40
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 9:43 pm

1000km on my Flatland skid plate.

No rubber gasket/weather striping.
No lock tight.
No rattles.
No vibration.

Still holding tight. thumb
Back to top Go down
wahilde

wahilde

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 4:57 pm

ZED wrote:
I'm starting to think that I'm the only person that just bolted it up and didn't look back. I had been planning on rubber gasketing it, but forgot. Mine doesn't seem to add any vibration or noise.

dunno

You are not the only one. I had mine on in a very short time without any rubber-mounting and have no issues. One thing though -- and this might be a big deal so listen-up everyone. The bolts that came with my skid plate were all the same length and fit fine on three mount points. BUT, the bolt was too long to mount the plate on the right-rear because it would actually contact the engine case if tighted all the way. I was really glad I noticed it before the final torqing. The solution was simple -- go to ACE hardware and get a slightly shorter bolt. I could have put several washers on it instead, but I only wanted to put one washer between the bolt head and the skid plate. Yeah, I think there is a bit more noise at certain frequencies with the skid plate, but it doesn't bother me a bit.
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 11:07 pm

When I bought my WRR I asked for the Yamaha part that obviously is designed to mount on as a skid plate ... they had nothing! After browsing around my garage, I found that a license plate from my old truck fit perfectly. Drilled some holes, put in some rubber spacers and I have me a free (practically) skid plate for easy trails. Its not robust enough for heavy duty stuff, and it doesn't help the lil plastic side covers any, but for just keeping little rocks from pinging the motor it works out perfectly.

Eventually, I will get something more robust, but for now its the cheap trick.
Back to top Go down
astraflyr

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Oh I gotta see a pic of that!!!
Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 11:02 pm

I put rounded bolts in it later ... not bad for free ... here is a pic ...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xlD2Pp6vw1x00YOQSu_OxXJmSyagb9MAPRNwLqFHab4?feat=directlink
Back to top Go down
Dancamp

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 6:42 am

Just double it and it should also be pretty resistant. thumb
Back to top Go down
olddog

PostSubject: bolt length   Flatland Skid Plate EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Same thing with the Ricochet bolts. the right rear had about the with of a washer between the bolt and the cases. Any compression of the skidplate would punch it into the case. The bolt needs to be shortened at least 3/16 to 1/4 inch.

Art
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flatland Skid Plate   Flatland Skid Plate Empty

Back to top Go down

Flatland Skid Plate
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next