Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?

Go down 
+9
trav72
Dancamp
ramz
Jäger
MotoKirby
SheWolf
greenfire6
skierd
Sproat Sport
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
taoshum

taoshum

How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 10:19 am

last ride, 171 miles, took 2.6 gallons (US) to fillup; 65.76mpg. always use the highest octane gas I can find. many places around here only sell 86 octane though.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 10:39 am

taoshum wrote:
last ride, 171 miles, took 2.6 gallons (US) to fillup; 65.76mpg. always use the highest octane gas I can find. many places around here only sell 86 octane though.

Yah, but your a 71 year old guy who probably get 10,000 miles on a set of tires! Oh, oh.....elder abuse.
Back to top Go down
greenfire6

greenfire6

PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Sproat Sport wrote:
I think it would be helpful if people could mention actual distances (kms or miles either to fuel light or empty or both) with their 3.1 tank...even though it's rough as there are many contributing factors. I think it'd be useful to paint a picture of the range of the bigger tanks.

Just as your topic title asks! thumb

Asking people to share their range experiences with the 3.1 tank eliminates the variable of how fuel is measured. cheers
Back to top Go down
greenfire6

greenfire6

PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 12:30 pm

taoshum wrote:

So your getting a range in the ballpark with SheWolf. (Up thread she wrote 233 miles which I'm taking to mean full to bone dry.)

If we "only" get 150 miles to bingo light we will be good to go with a 30 mile buffer on the majority of our town to town stretches.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 pm

mordicai wrote:
taoshum wrote:

Yah, but your a 71 year old guy who probably get 10,000 miles on a set of tires! Oh, oh.....elder abuse.

I wish! 3,000 max B4 I change tires. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Yah I'm closing in on 2,000 with my 5 month old x and the rear tire is going fast. I'm trying to wear it out so I can put some Shinko 244's on for the summer in the moutains.
Back to top Go down
MeefZah

MeefZah

PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 9:31 am

I went 151 miles til I ran it dry, stock gearing, but riding like hell - 75+ mph on the street. Light usually coems on around 110 - ish miles.
Back to top Go down
greenfire6

greenfire6

PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Leaving Tonopah, Nevada with full tanks the low fuel (bingo) light came on at 144 miles upon arrival in Austin, NV. Route was dominated by 4th, 5th and 6th gear dirt roads with several side trips on slow two track trails.

(After riding 'round town a bit my bike took on 2.52 US gals at 153 miles. Diane's bike never did bingo and took on 2.30 US gals. The likely difference here; the wife is nearly 8 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter. wink )

The third day included a 139 mile leg that produced no bingo lights. (The first day's legs were too short to mention for this topic.)
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 2:59 pm

I think the question was ( whats left in the tank when the lite comes on, right)? I have come up with about .8 gallon almost every time I checked. I also find that I can pump the tank dry, nothing left but fumes. That is a good thing making it all useable. Berwyn
Back to top Go down
greenfire6

greenfire6

PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:37 am

Full range update...

We geared 'em down to 13/48* and our fuel range increased to 155+ miles before "bingo" light. This outcome was confirmed by both bikes on a recent, two day, off highway ride between Tonopah and Eureka, Nevada, USA. Average elevation 6000 feet above sea level.

In 40 years of doing this stuff this has always been my experience. I attribute it to the motor is not "working" as hard. Spinning faster, yes, guzzeling more fuel, no.

Actually, on the first day I went 159.4 miles without a bingo and took on 2.3 US gallons. Diane wasn't running her GPS, so I don't know her true miles, but she went about 10 miles further trying to run down one of our small group who missed a turn. Despite her extra miles, she took on 2.3 US gallons without a bingo also. The next day we both "bingoed" at 155 miles then rode another 30 miles and took on 2.9 US Gallons.

Please keep in mind, except for the mod to the final gearing, the IMS 3.1 US gallon tanks and small "throw over" soft luggage these WRRs are bone stock, non-California models.

*Ironman sprockets, front and rear, and Regina Z ring chains.

Needles to say I'm very happy about this... cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?   How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How far have you gone on a 3.1G tank?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2