Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery

Go down 
+3
motokid
YZEtc
longtallsally
7 posters
AuthorMessage
longtallsally

longtallsally

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery Empty
PostSubject: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 1:50 am

OK I am totally desperate here. We're back from Germany to ride for a couple days and sure enough I spent the day putting new farkles on and a new battery and sure enough it won't start.

It won't even turn over. I get a fast click from the relay or box right behind the battery. I've got it on a trickle charger right now but I'm scared it's something more.

The bike has been in storage for a year and a half with no fuel in a climate controlled storage facility.

I've basically got a day to get it running or I just wasted a couple grand in plane tickets flying home for this.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:23 am

Sounds like the battery went dead from sitting.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:47 am

If you have jumper cables and a car you car check the battery real quick.

JUST DON"T START THE CAR - LEAVE THE CAR OFF

I've been frustrated a few times by bikes that won't start, and found that a quick check with jumper cables can
either confirm a dead battery, or remove that from the equation completely.

And it's an easy check.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 7:38 am

It's a brand new battery- bike masters I think.

It will show almost 14v on the tender and then drop to 10v as soon as I turn the key and then to 6v when I hit the starter. I'm a bit desperate.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:59 am

Sounds like maybe a dud battery. The voltage shouldn't drop below 10 when cranking. eeek

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 10:28 am

Definitely a dead battery. Is it new as it I just bought it when I got home or new as in I bought it new and never installed a year and a half ago?
Back to top Go down
longtallsally

longtallsally

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:47 am

I agree. Battery was purchased 2 hours before install. Guess I get to go back to the shop...

Thanks and I'll report back. I was just scared that something was wrong with the electronics.
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Ummm, I may be wrong here but aren't you supposed to charge a battery for a few hours after it's purchased before you install it? I know the ones I get for my Shadow have to be charged for at least 4 hours. I pour in the battery acid and then charge it.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Depends where you get it from. Every battery I've bought was fully charged, ready to go. I had to wait a bit for them to charge it, but none of the shops I've ever bought a battery home sold me a battery that I had to charge before installing it. Unless, of course, it was a dud. And I have had a couple of those, which is why I stated what I did. budah It does happen.

longtallsally

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:10 pm

They tested the battery and it was dead. Gave me a new battery and I'm enjoying the little bike again.

Thank you all so very much for the help!!!!
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Awesome!!! At least everybody here agreed that it was the battery.
Back to top Go down
rowyco-1

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Thank you for posting this topic. My bike has the same exact problem and symptoms. Looks like a charged battery is the fix.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery   HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Bike won't start!!!!!!!! - Dead Battery
Page 1 of 1