Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Is the WR250r/x a horse?

Go down 
+19
twday
IndigoWolf
X-Racer
RT3856
NorgeWR2X
mrgeoff
sswrx
Berwyn Henderson
0007onWR
deerHater
taoshum
Hertz
DougZ
BuilderBob
Jäger
zone47
Sproat Sport
SheWolf
mordicai
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mordicai

Is the WR250r/x a horse? Empty
PostSubject: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 9:12 am

I keep reading about guys who get on their bikes by putting their foot on the peg with the stand down,and mounting like it was a horse. Anybody here get on their bike this way? I've done it while pushing other bikes to jump start but never when it parked.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 10:33 am

I do. It's habit being I'm short. Very happy

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:01 am

Hey Wolf I'm 200lb....I guess the only way to find out is to try it. My arthritis is getting so bad I have to take a running start to get that leg over! Why is it that it doesn't seem like a macho thing to do??
Back to top Go down
Sproat Sport

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:06 pm

That's the way I mount mine too. Cowboy style. horse (just pretend the horse isn't dead)
Back to top Go down
zone47

zone47

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm only 5'6 and just flip my leg up over the rear fender and seat. Then again, mine is lowered 1.5" dunno
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:56 pm

mordicai wrote:
I keep reading about guys who get on their bikes by putting their foot on the peg with the stand down,and mounting like it was a horse... Why is it that it doesn't seem like a macho thing to do??
If I could do the splits, I could probably throw my leg over. But I can't get my leg over the seat without straining and dragging it across the seat; I'm just not that flexible. So I step on the peg and throw my leg over, and no apologies for doing so.

Doesn't seem macho? Dunno about that - but my job description includes jumping out of airplanes in the dark with nearly my own weight strapped to my ass and dodging bullets and bombs, so there's very few people out there that I'm worried have the qualifications and scars to decide whether I'm "macho" or not.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 3:03 pm

When I have the rear rack loaded up, it's the only way I can get my leg over.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Well alright! I'm glad I started this thread as I've been stressing out if I was going to be able to get on the darn thing when I replace the stock street slicks with some Shinko 244's. I think I've still got a pair of spurs around that should fit my riding boots.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 5:32 pm

poser2 The last time I tried swinging my leg over the seat without standing on the peg, I almost broke my shin on the damned rear rack. eeek

DougZ

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 6:18 pm

I do it that way too. Bike is tall and I am only 5' 8". I have no qualms about doing it.

I am just happy this bike has a starter....my old DRZ was just as talk and was kick start only...even more of a PIA.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Tell me about it. My last bike was a Yamaha XT550 and I would have to drain the carb if it stalled while hot. If you looked at it sideways it would flood. Good work out though!
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 8:28 pm

Yeah I do it too.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 11:41 pm

Yamaha WRR-- yes; Harley Road King --- no
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 8:58 am

I stand about 2 feet away facing the left side of the bike.
Then I kick my right foot up and over the seat, and twist a little to the left as I hop on the seat.
Gentlemen be aware of your packaging arrangement before trying this method!

I'm average flexibility and 5' 7" with 30" inseam.

I haven't ridden a horse since I was 11. It didn't go well.
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 11:35 am

When I am home I use a chain hoist but when I am out I just summersault over the rear fender Very happy
Kidding, I am experienced in mounting every form of motorsports machine and the only rule is you cant get on from the right hand side unless there is an emergency or you have a medical condition
The only exception is certain trials bikes with the side stand on the right hand side
Back to top Go down
Berwyn Henderson

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 5:59 pm

It can help to increase the kickstand foot area to help avoid sinking while mounting !! dunno
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm short so I use the foot peg to get on the bike. Helps when the pack is strapped to the luggage rack.
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyMon May 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Bloke I used to ride with, had to mount his WR on the trail like a horse, but without the kickstand down..... he couldnt reach the floor at all!!! I couldnt believe it if I had not had seen it, climbing on, and pulling away in 1 swift move :)
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyMon May 09, 2011 3:28 pm

mrgeoff wrote:
Bloke I used to ride with, had to mount his WR on the trail like a horse, but without the kickstand down..... he couldnt reach the floor at all!!! I couldnt believe it if I had not had seen it, climbing on, and pulling away in 1 swift move :)

wow i wanna see a video of that lol
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri May 13, 2011 12:10 am

Wellllllllll,
I go both ways.
Horses and Bikes. never even thought about it til I read this.
My legs are so short that my feet don't even touch the ground.
Just like on my horse, I get on any way I can and wory about how cool I am later.
Riding, that's what counts.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri May 13, 2011 2:10 am

RT3856 wrote:
Wellllllllll,
I go both ways. Horses and Bikes.

The best of dual-sporting quoted here.... wings

Agree with 007: Right-side get-ons are verboten (unless on a left-side hill).

I can swing my leg over, but if I do, most of the time IF I do I'd likely be stopped and high-centered on a whoop.

Otherwise, at my age with hip, knee and ankle wear-and-tear, I'll stand on the peg and swing my leg over.

The exception is the R1. I can still swing my leg over that. For now...

Back to top Go down
IndigoWolf

IndigoWolf

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri May 13, 2011 8:32 am

I remember climbing on my road bike like that when it was on its center stand. It made it a lot easier to mount up when loaded for a road trip. ... Do they even put center stands on bikes any more? or as an aftermarket accessory?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptyFri May 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Most adventure bikes still do. My 00 KTM LC4-E (Enduro) came stock with one.

I added a side stand which will tear your leg off (not sure if by design, or mistake thereof, but the spring is always under tension to pull the stand back to the closed position).
Back to top Go down
twday

twday

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:14 am

RT3856 wrote:
Wellllllllll,
I go both ways.
Horses and Bikes. never even thought about it til I read this.
My legs are so short that my feet don't even touch the ground.
Just like on my horse, I get on any way I can and wory about how cool I am later.
Riding, that's what counts.

The great thing about being old is I don't have to worry about being cool. I can't even see cool from my house. The WR is the first bike I've owned that I have to mount either with the side stand down and a foot on the left peg or in motion. I get off of the bike while it's still rolling, too. Especially in parking garages where I'm worried about oil underfoot.
Back to top Go down
little squirt

little squirt

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? EmptySat May 14, 2011 12:37 am

I just run up behind her grab the rack and do a flying splits up onto the seat, my momentum gets the bike rolling which automatically flips up the kickstand then i hit the starter and im off in one motion...... thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the WR250r/x a horse?   Is the WR250r/x a horse? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is the WR250r/x a horse?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next