Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

spring cleaning

Go down 
+4
motokid
kjharn
Midnite171
wristpin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wristpin

spring cleaning - spring cleaning Empty
PostSubject: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Hey folks, I'm new to this site, I have checked it out a few times to get some info about my bike. I got some good pics today that I figured I would try to share. I have an 08 wr250r with 9k on it. I decided to change the plug today so when I pulled the seat off I cought a whiff of mouse piss and decided to check out the airbox. They took over my bike while being stored in the shed for the winter. They made a clubhouse in the airbox, and slightly chewed on the air filter, they also did some chewing on the wire harness where they were entering the airbox. I cleaned the crap out of everything and put some mesh on the intake to prevent this from happening again. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics.[img][/img] The worst part is that I have run my bike close to 100 miles so far this spring with this in the airbox.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:15 pm

still spring cleaning - spring cleaning Dscn0716
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:17 pm

spring cleaning - spring cleaning Dscn0716
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:18 pm

spring cleaning - spring cleaning Dscn0719
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:20 pm

spring cleaning - spring cleaning Dscn0720
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:22 pm

spring cleaning - spring cleaning Dscn0721
Back to top Go down
Midnite171

Midnite171

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Wow! Looks like they made a comfy little home there! The mesh is definitely a good idea!
Back to top Go down
kjharn

kjharn

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Looks identical to mine, except I had a pool of liquid in the bottom of my airbox which contained 3 dead baby mice, in gelatinous form. poser2

I had also ridden about 100 miles before noticing. 3k miles later, no problems.

Btw, tape up those exposed wires. Otherwise, it'll short out when you go through large puddles and creek crossings. Ask me how I know. BOOM

EDIT: Looks like you already did thumb
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:26 am

Went to start my bike yesterday and did not hear the fuel pump when I turned on the key. I figured the pump decided to quit because I have an early 08 WRR. So after I got home from work I started to take the bike apart to check fuses and figure out what broke. As soon as I took the seat off I saw the problem, those little bastards built another nest in front of my screen and chewed up all my wires on the harness. The bike has only been sitting for two days. Sure enough I found a blown fuse from the wires shorting out and was able to get everything tidy and working again. As bad as the wires were stripped of insulation, they were intact and I was able to get them all taped up and secure. Do you all think I will be o.k. with this fix or should I look into getting a new wiring harness?
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:40 am

spring cleaning - spring cleaning Dscn0726
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:41 am

spring cleaning - spring cleaning Dscn0728
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:42 am

spring cleaning - spring cleaning Dscn0729
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:43 am

spring cleaning - spring cleaning Dscn0730
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:06 am

HOLY HELL!!!!!!!! eeek eeek eeek

That's unbelievable.

Does the bike still run? Any error codes?

Seems like you'd be shorting out with all those bare wires exposed like that.

If you have a cat - I'd fire that pussy. beater

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 11:40 am

wristpin wrote:
As soon as I took the seat off I saw the problem, those little bastards built another nest in front of my screen and chewed up all my wires on the harness. The bike has only been sitting for two days. Sure enough I found a blown fuse from the wires shorting out and was able to get everything tidy and working again. Do you all think I will be o.k. with this fix or should I look into getting a new wiring harness?
I think you should look into buying a bunch of mousetraps and smearing peanut butter on the triggers before you put them around the bottom of your bike.

Or you could always bait them with electrical wiring and air cleaner foam, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 3:18 pm

This is friggin crazy, I took my bike to work this morning and it was parked in the middle of an open parking lot in the hot sun all day, as soon as I got home I decided to take the seat off to zip tie a dryer sheet around the wiring harness. When the seat came off there were 4 or 5 mice scurrying around on top of the air box. I was able to stomp 2 of them but the others got away when I flicked them out of there with a stick. I can't imagine how they are getting in there while my bike is parked for the day in the middle of a paved parking lot unless they were in there this morning when I left. Now I want to take off all the panels and give everything a proper inspection for any more damage. I have a snowmobile, a quad, and my riding lawnmower in the shed with my bike and they are all rodent free. This is killing me.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Warfarin pellets. I put some on a sour cream container lid under the seat so other animals wouldn't get to it and it gets rid of them. thumb

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:28 pm

I checked everything else out and it all looked o.k., I zip tied a dryer sheet around the wire harness I hear they don't like that and it has worked keep them out of my camper over the winter. I set up mouse traps with peanut butter around the tires, I'll see what I get in the morning. I got lucky with all those F'd up wires that only a fuse popped and there were no codes on the display.spring cleaning - spring cleaning Dscn0731
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:06 pm

Well I've been using moth balls for rodent control for years with good success. I put a couple of box's in closed areas of my vehicles that are stored and a bunch around the tires. Works!!
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Park the bike at home with the seat and right-hand side cover removed.
Without a roof and side wall for cover, they won't feel comfy enough to make a nest.
Also, covering the bike with a motorcycle cover gives them a big roof to hide and nest under.
Been there, done that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: spring cleaning   spring cleaning - spring cleaning Empty

Back to top Go down

spring cleaning
Page 1 of 1