Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Buying an X when I want an R?

Go down 
+6
keith_mahoney
Boondocker
velox
Hertz
YamX1KRR
drsmonkey
10 posters
AuthorMessage
drsmonkey

Buying an X when I want an R? Empty
PostSubject: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 9:34 am

I've been lurking and reading for a few months and have finally decided to buy a WR. This site (andTT) have been extremely informative, so thanks. I definitely want an R. Problem it is hard to find them around here and I can't quite swing the 2011 the local dealer can get me.

The best I have found is a used '08 with 2500miles for $4000 a 4.5 hour drive away. Private seller who doesn't have title in hand, kind of a pain with the drive, and not that great of a deal.

The local dealer does have a new '08 X with an FMF can already installed for $4900 OTD.

I figure that I can get the X and buy the wheelingcyclesupply.com wheels, tires, a rear sprocket and sell my OEM wheels etc. as new...

...or find someone with an R who wants to trade wheels, tires, front brake, rear sprocket, and rotor.

I've been cruising ads for sometime, and though I can find decent deals elsewhere in the country, by the time you pay shipping to the middle of nowhere, all the savings are gone.

What does the collective think in general?

Any guesses as to what the OEM 17" wheel and tires can be sold for? I would need to come out about even on the swap as the X is the max I can fund.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for the help, looking forward to joining the pack.

drs

Back to top Go down
YamX1KRR

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 11:28 am

drsmonkey wrote:
The local dealer does have a new '08 X with an FMF can already installed for $4900 OTD.

Brand new? Sounds like a decent deal, but may be more trouble than it's worth, to swap to an R, unless you knew someone with an R who wanted to swap parts. I'd hold out for a deal on an R.

Not sure what you get with the wheeling cycle wheels, but you'd want to make sure you get the caliper bracket for the front. The front rotor is bigger on the X, and you wouldn't want to run that off road. Pretty sure there is an additional bracket for the R, and Yamaha doesn't sell it without having to buy the new caliper.

Also, I've read the X's suspension is a little stiffer. I don't know this for sure, or if it is just different settings on the same suspension.

You'd probably mess around with sprockets anyway, so I wouldn't count that as an additional cost.

I am not 100% sure on any of this. Some have bought the Wheeling wheels, so they may be able to shed more light on this. This should help you get started anyway.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 11:35 am

Well you'll get more money for the 17s than you would a stock dirt setup. I say go for the X if you're not in a huge hurry. It may take some time to find someone to trade you stock wheels but shouldn't be too hard. Or, if you have the extra 1000 buy the Wheeling setup and sell your X wheels, you may be able to get around 750 for them.

If it were me, I'd buy the X. I like the added black.
Back to top Go down
velox

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Do you ever plan to ride just street? If so you should keep the X wheels.

If not then yea go ahead and sell them.

The wheeling cycle dirt tires only come with rims. So you will need to buy the knobbies for them.

I doubt it would be super hard to sell your X wheels.
The FMF itself for a slip on is like $300.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: knobbies on the X   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 3:40 pm

You can mount knobbies on X wheels and gear it to your liking. There are several good examples of WRX dirt bikes.
Back to top Go down
drsmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 5:30 pm

I've seen the 17" knobbies, but I think that the enduro wheels are a much better fit for me. I wil be riding 15% asphalt at most, 35% fire road, 50% trail. I really like the 17" knobbie look, it's almost like an updated TW.

Some might say I should be looking for a 250F ( I live in a state where anything with a headlight and taillight can be plated) but I really like the reliability, fuel injection, and decreased maintenance of the R/X.
Back to top Go down
keith_mahoney

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 4:32 am

I had to go the opposite way. I really wanted an X but settled for an R as that was all that was available on the island.
I would trade you in a heartbeat but the shipping to Hawaii may kill the deal.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 6:19 pm

drsmonkey wrote:
I've been cruising ads for sometime, and though I can find decent deals elsewhere in the country, by the time you pay shipping to the middle of nowhere, all the savings are gone.
Are you sure about that?

It may be, but you might want to check it shipping prices before you assume that. It cost me about $400 to ship my bike the better part of the way across the country, new in the crate. That was '08, but I doubt shipping costs have gone up all that much, even with the price of fuel.
Back to top Go down
malibu_dan

malibu_dan

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Skierd over on the ADV monster thread is looking to swap his 'R' shoes for someone with an 'X'. You'll need to swap the brakes also as the rotors are different diameters. Drop me a PM if you need help tracking him down. He's a straight shooter.
Back to top Go down
Hertz

Hertz

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:55 pm

malibu_dan wrote:
Skierd over on the ADV monster thread is looking to swap his 'R' shoes for someone with an 'X'. You'll need to swap the brakes also as the rotors are different diameters. Drop me a PM if you need help tracking him down. He's a straight shooter.

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t4374-wtt-r-wheels-for-x-wheels-baltimore-mid-atlantic-area
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptyTue May 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Yup, I'm looking to trade. Where does everyone live?

Keith, I believe litte_squirt was interested in trading wheels and lives in Honolulu, not sure if that's the right island for you or not...

The main reason I wanted to trade local is the WRR is still my only bike, therefore I would need to get the wheels first and do the swap before I could sent out mine.

UPS quotes $200ish for a 27"x27"x12" 50 pound package to Hawaii. USPS is about half that. For the interested parties...
Back to top Go down
VANSTERDAM GUY

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? EmptySat May 14, 2011 8:20 pm

hey skierd

got a 08 wrx with may be just over 1k kms. bought the x coz i didnt find any R's for a good price around here. Am looking for a quick fix. i live in vancouver, bc. wheels and tires are practically new and im ready to swap for same condition stuff. Very happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying an X when I want an R?   Buying an X when I want an R? Empty

Back to top Go down

Buying an X when I want an R?
Page 1 of 1