Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Newbie with a buying question . .

Go down 
+6
mwakey
Chadx
SheWolf
mtb
derm75
shawngrodz
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shawngrodz

shawngrodz

Newbie with a buying question . . Empty
PostSubject: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 1:33 am

So I'm new to the sport of dirtbiking, although I do own a HD deuce and after doing a ton of research, I think I've settled on the R2 as the bike I would like to own. My question is I'm considering two pre-owned bikes, one with low miles (150 miles) and 100% stock and the other one has about 1500 miles but has a TON of mods. The two bikes are about the same price . . .within say $300 of eachother. My question is knowing how expensive it can be to add the mods down the road, should I go with the suped up version with the higher miles that was obviously ridden, or take the stock one that according to the owner was only really ridden on the road. FYI -I'm not inclined to do much work on the bike myself, so any mods added down the road would be added by a dealer, and again I'm sure this stuff can be $$$$. Part of me thinks the stock, just because I'm new and have very little dirt experience, but I must admit, having a bike that has been all done up already is appealing as well. Let me know your thoughs. I really appreciate any and all insight! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
derm75

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 8:17 am

Welcome. 1500 miles is nothing. Do you know what the mods are that were done? A good set of off-road tires and a skidplate will cost you close to $300. I'd go for the modified bike unless it looks like it's been crashed off a cliff. These bikes are made to be ridden so don't worry about it.

Jeremy
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 8:37 am

Modifications can be fatal... really

Does the pre-mod bike include the fuel tuner? (Dynojet power commander or FMF power programmer)

If it does, I will go with the pre-mod

by the way, what's your height and weight? If you are a big man, eventually you will mod the WR for your thirst of power wink
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 8:52 am

I was just going to say and Gary beat me to it. poser2 1500 is nothing for this bike. To look at it another way, you won't have to go thru the break-in period with that bike, it's pretty much broken in. Mods are costly, which is why I'd tend to go for the modded up one. You will really like the additions, and yes, if it has the power programmer then it is well worth the price. Having that alone will smarted up even a stock bike, but exhaust/airbox/header just completes the burger, so to speak. Gearing and tires are another one. See what you can find about the modded one and tell us so we can drool over it. Very happy

shawngrodz

PostSubject: newbie''s buying question   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 11:44 am

I'm 5 11' and about 185lbs.

As for the mods, it has the FMF fuel tuner & exhaust, upgraded tires, bark busters, skid plate, servo sub mod (have absolutely no idea what this means) air box, AIS / EXUP evisceration?? I'm sure there's a few more that I'm forgetting as well.

Anyway, seems like the guy that owned the bike knew what he was doing. Again, my concern is that the bike will have too much power for me. Again, although I know how to ride a bike, I have zero dirt experience. Any idea how much $$$$ all those extras cost if installed at a dealer??

I guess this is one of those "good" problems to have. Which bike to buy?!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 11:51 am

I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat...as for getting the dealer to do all those mods. Hoo...you'll be looking at another $3000 easily. The tuner/pipe/header alone is gonna be close to $1000, and I can't see the dealer getting you as good a deal on those parts like you could if you did the sniffing yourself. They've got to make a buck too. As for having too much power, it's all how you ride. It is only a 250, albeit a very lively one, even stock. Start off slow, and learn as you go. It's not like you'll be flying over drops doing tabletops WFO. Very happy The R² is a great starter bike, IMO. I've had big bore bikes before and I'm quite happy with the little 250. As for buying the lower miles bikes that are stock, that is up to you. Some guys like a fully stock bike, I am a mod whore. Everything I have owned has been modded one way or another. It's just a personal thing, kinda makes the bike 'mine.' wink

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 12:04 pm

Am I the only one who feels that the above mentioned bike sounds familiar? wink
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Yeah, sounds like Dr. Steve's doesn't it...

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Snatch up the one with the farkles! It's still new!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 5:18 pm

If it is Steve's that's one helluva wicked bike. thumb

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Shawn, one thing to keep in mind is noise level of the FMF. You didn't say which FMF. If it's the Q4, you'll probably be OK with the decibel level. If it's any other of their exhaust, it is race exhaust and 100+decibel. You'll probably end up wanting/needing to replace it with a Q4 to make it tolerable for you and anyone within a 1/2 mile of you. Figure that into your expense. I'd still go with that bike, though. You can probably sell the current FMF can and use that money towards a Q4. Or maybe the FMF on it is already a Q4?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 8:30 pm

The PC4 is rated at 96. The Q at 94.

mwakey

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 11:23 pm

You could also get the quiet core insert for the PC4. Not sure what dB that brings it down to, but it should make it closer to a Q4 as far as noise goes.
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 11:34 pm

SheWolf wrote:
The PC4 is rated at 96. The Q at 94.

So the one bike has a PC4? I must have missed where the OP mentioned that. Good to know when he starts comparing. I've not seen where FMF said the PC4 is only 96decibel, but they say the Q4 has a max output of 96db, but most models test below 93. As some have mentioned, a difference of 3 decibel, around this point on the chart, is TWICE as loud. So a difference of "only" 3 is more than it seems. Just sayin' (for the OPs info).

Shawn, no matter the pipe, you'll also want to ensure it has a spark arrestor, which a lot of "track" pipes do not. Some can be retro-fitted, though.
Back to top Go down
shawngrodz

shawngrodz

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyWed May 20, 2009 11:58 pm

Thanks everyone for all the insight. I'm going to call the owner (steve) tomorrow and follow up with a few of these questions. It's looking like a road trip may be in order as he lives about 10 hrs from me. I've already "gently" mentioned to the wifey that I may need to take off for a day next week to make the drive and pick the puppy up. We shall see though. Anyways, my flight from CT to AZ leaves in 7 hrs and all I can think of doing is more "research" on the R2. Scary.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyThu May 21, 2009 12:10 am

If it's Steve Akus' bike, you're getting one awesome bike, mate. thumb

Notsolegit

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyThu May 21, 2009 4:47 am

Shaun, Get the modded bike mate. All them mods cost a fair bit of coin. I'm starting to look into all them mods now. so many $!

Put some pics up when you get it.

Cheers,
Luke.
Back to top Go down
Notsolegit

Notsolegit

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyFri May 22, 2009 4:37 am

Any more info on what bike you got?

Cheers,
Luke.
Back to top Go down
shawngrodz

shawngrodz

PostSubject: newbie''s question   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyFri May 22, 2009 5:48 am

Hey guys . . .quick question and I hope it's not a dumb question. Check out the link below. My question is Steve's bike has the FMF pipe and fuel progammer and the bike below has the FMF pipe and FMF power programmer. Are these one in the same or different. I'm thinking different, but let me know. Also, if I call the dealer, any suggestions, based on the ad that I should ask?? I'm still very much considering Steveakus's bike but he's currently; A. on vacation and B: Still 10 hrs away. This other bike is about 3 hrs away and looks to have some decent mods as well. Any thoughts??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Yamaha-WR-250-Enduro-Motorcycle-CHEAP-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ300316862369QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item45ec47a7a1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Back to top Go down
Chadx

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyFri May 22, 2009 8:28 am

Nice mods on the bike you linked. Zeta hand guards with the built-in turn signals, tail mod, protapers, slip on exhaust (but not full pipe), programmer. I noticed there is no skid plate on there. You might have the dealer take a picture of the frame and case to determine if either have taken any big hits.

I'm guessing Steve's tuner is an FMF as well. On his website he says "FMF Fuel Tuner and Exhaust" meaning both items are FMF brand.

Both look like nice bikes.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyFri May 22, 2009 8:59 am

Steve's is an FMF, and he looked after his bike. I know with buying Steve's he'll give you the complete history of the bike, and he wouldn't be selling that thing if he didn't have to; that was his baby. He's also got that thing tuned right. I dunno, I'd be thinking 10 hrs...ROAD TRIP! Very happy Plus just meeting Steve would be an honor. He's an A1 guy. thumb

shawngrodz

PostSubject: newbie's buying question   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyThu May 28, 2009 1:16 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that I spoke Steve tonight and have made the arrangements to pick up the bike this Friday morning. I'll send pics of the road trip (9 hrs) as well as the new scoot. Stay tuned . . . .
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyThu May 28, 2009 2:00 am

That's cool!!

Drive and ride safe aye? Very happy
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyThu May 28, 2009 8:20 am

thumb You just purchased a great bike and you won't have to do a thing to it!!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . EmptyThu May 28, 2009 10:05 am

Except ride it and get used to having a shit eating grin that reaches from ear to ear. Very happy

PostSubject: Re: Newbie with a buying question . .   Newbie with a buying question . . Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie with a buying question . .
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next