Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o a CEL code?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bren5279

What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o  a CEL code? Empty
PostSubject: What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o a CEL code?   What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o  a CEL code? EmptyTue May 10, 2011 12:47 am

OK so time to do the Airbox mod / AIS removal that ive been hearing about everywhere. Ive read some threads on other forums, but I cant seem to get a clear idea of what in all I can take out WITHOUT sending a CEL code.

I know I need to tape the flapper open, (or should I just take it out completely?) and block off that port on the headder (What exactly does that port do)

Id like to clear out as much space as possible and eliminate anything that isnt needed. Ive heard that you can also take out the EXUP or something servo, but from what Ive heard that is the thing that sends the code.

so what in all can I take out, WITHOUT sending a code? (pics and description of what the thing does would be great)
Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o a CEL code?   What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o  a CEL code? EmptyTue May 10, 2011 12:56 am

As soon as you remove the EXUP, you'll get the CEL code. thumb Removing the AIS will not do anything; it's merelt there to inject fresh air into the chamber for a cleaner exhaust burn...part of the emissions crap. As for the airbox flapper, you can take it out, glue it down, it doesn't really matter. What will matter is when you yank out the stock muffler and the EXUP motor unit. That will throw the code. It's a simple fix involving a small resistor in the open end of the exup plug that stays behind on the bike after you remove the EXUP. Check this. It will show you the cheapest way to fix that problem. Very happy

A wolf's voice echoed down the mountain 'Share the bounty of the hunt with your brothers and sisters, and forever be strong and free.' What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o  a CEL code? Wolf_b10
Back to top Go down
bren5279

PostSubject: Re: What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o a CEL code?   What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o  a CEL code? EmptyTue May 10, 2011 1:09 am

Thankyou kindly!!!! that was exactly what I was looking for.
Accoding to this guy you can actually take out the whole intake snorkel:
http://rydnseekbike.blogspot.com/

So it looks like all that needs to be done is the following:

Remove AIS and all attached junk.
Make aluminum AIS capoff plate.
plug vaccuum intake tube (or is it the gas overflow tube?)
Remove or tape down Intake Flapper,
Remove Exhaust Exup (if aftermarket exhaust) and put the 7k resistor in the plug that goes to it)

Am I missing anything?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o a CEL code?   What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o  a CEL code? EmptyTue May 10, 2011 5:33 am

Are you replacing the exhaust pipe?

If not you won't get a CEL code just from AIS and airbox mods.

If you remove stock exhaust you still won't get CEL code unless you also disconnect the servo motor that operated the EXUP flapper. Just disconnecting the cables from servo and the stock exhaust won't throw the code.

The AIS system also has a tube that runs to airbox. You'll need to cap that off at the airbox too.

You can find a kit that somebody here sells that has the block-off plate and caps in one package I think.

Go here: click me

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o a CEL code?   What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o  a CEL code? EmptyTue May 10, 2011 6:42 am

I'd plan on buying a fuel injection programmer.
The stock fueling and throttle response is hampered enough as it comes, and letting more air into the engine won't make it better without compensating for it with a programmer.
I know as I've tried it both ways.
This is like installing an aftermarket exhaust and doing airbox mods on your old carbureted street bikes without doing a jet kit.
Everybody seems to think, "Baahh, I don't need one of those things..."
Until, that is, they try one for themselves. :)

You can certainly remove the entire intake snorkel top, just be prepared for noticably more intake noise, which is the whole reason the bike comes with the Mickey Mouse intake flapper and snorkel that extends down into the airbox to begin with.

I tried it as shown in that link, with the entire top removed, but didn't like the tone of the added noise.
It wasn't the amount or volume of the noise, but the tone of how it sounded was irritating to me.
It was kinda' like having to listen to a pop song that you don't like. :)
So, I compromised by first removing the entire top as shown, drilled-out the plastic rivets on the underside of it as well (yes, there are more on the bottom side, too), and separated the part of the inlet snorkel that extends down into the airbox, which is doing much of the silencing and air restricting.
I was then left with just the upper half, minus the silly little flapper.
This was a great compromise, as the irritating pop music noise was gone, but the bike was no longer choked-up like a mouse in a trap.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o a CEL code?   What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o  a CEL code? EmptyTue May 10, 2011 6:50 am

When not riding in dry, dusty conditions - or always riding on pavement - I simply remove my airbox door.

No drilling, no cutting, and easy to button back up if plans change.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o a CEL code?   What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o  a CEL code? Empty

Back to top Go down

What can I eliminate in the Airbox + AIS w/o a CEL code?
Page 1 of 1