Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass

Go down 
+56
Jens Eskildsen
Lupin 3rd
DutchTerror
Caldsy
TwoBuells
Biglake
IceWolf
aw113sgte
skrew
LordEndo
hell0men
Coop
cjard
oldmansurfing
Just Bob
A66auto
duanew
TwilightZone
Marylucky
Heoz
gatorfan
ramz
ballisticexchris
GooseR6
dirtyhippie
Nick
DougZ
rydnseek
skidmarx
Midnite171
Stubbz
Jäger
mattnadz
abchel
consolidated
WRoldman
cuban11182
wildbillhatchbac
zerax
taoshum
Tammy
jonny-NITRO
King Wolf
inspector
colorado.warhorse
greer
tblumer
motokid
YZEtc
sswrx
WRRSam
edteamslr
0007onWR
ZED
mtb
SheWolf
60 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass Empty
PostSubject: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:06 am

This is by far the cheapest servo bypass so far, so for anyone who want to save a few bucks and DIY, this is the way to go. thumb

All you need is a 7.5k resistor (I have two 3.75's because I couldn't find the smaller 1/4w ones, so I went with the 1/2w). Unbolt your servo motor from under the battery, flip it around and unplug the motor. Drop the motor into your box of parts, cause you aren't gonna need it anymore. wink Then take your little 7.5k resistor, and stick one end of it into the red/white socket of the now exposed plug. Take the other end of the resistor and stick it into the black/red socket of the plug. Voila! You have now bypassed the servo and your ECU won't throw a CEL! cheers You can solder small pins to the ends of the resistors and then plug them into the exposed servo plug, then tape it up nice and tight, and tuck it in beside the right side of the battery box where there is a little spot just made for it to go.

DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass Img_1020DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass Img_1020DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass IMG_1037
DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass Img_1020

Last edited by SheWolf on Sat May 29, 2010 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:09 am

Wow... your bike is getting lighter everyday! thumb

Time for a lighter battery mentioned in another thread wink
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:16 am

Yeah...we can't get them here yet otherwise I would.... baldy

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:19 am

You can't get them there?

Why not?

I heard that JOE at TurnTech is a nice guy to communicate with...
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:24 am

It looked like it was out of country when I looked at the link. dunno NVM..I just saw the NA link... baldy D'OH!! *smacks* Here we go again thread derailing. Gary, you're terrible. Very happy

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:30 am

mtb wrote:
You can't get them there?
Why not?

In Canada a battery is considered a hazardous good an must be transported and imported differently. It is possible to get such goods shipped over the boarder, but much more difficult and folks that sell things like that on-line typically are no set up to handle the extra hassle, paperwork, and shipping methods.

Meanwhile, Looks good SheWolf! I like simple.
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:31 am

thumb Me too, simple AND cheap. deal

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:44 am

Ooh... Lesson learnt! Thanks! thumb

Wolfie... have you taken it out for a spin with your homemade sub?

(Actually I think we should call the sub the CEL eliminator instead... According to Yamaha Motorcycle Technical Guide ... The valve drive is operated on the basis of information about RPM,
machine speed, throttle opening/closing speed, the gear the
transmission is in etc. This combines with the ignition timing control
to achieve outstanding response.
And I am not 100% that the sub we have can actually behave as it should... I am even thinking of putting back the servo motor and modify my pipe like this guy did in SMJ)
Back to top Go down
ZED

ZED

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:53 am

If you do add the EXUP back into your system with the slip-on, please post some dyno results of the slip-on vs. the slip-on with EXUP.

To my knowledge that would be a first to have such a comparison with numbers and would truly answer weather or not Yami's EXUP is actually doing what it claims.
Back to top Go down
mtb

mtb

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 11:56 am

If I add it back, I will surely go for a dyno.... and surely I will show off HERE wink wink wink wink

Just kidding.. good night all Sleep
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 12:34 pm

I did take it for a rip with the servo bypass and that light never even flickered. I didn't notice any abnormal engine noises or stuttering or hesitations upon accel or decel; now whether or not that has anything to do with removal of the servo or the addition of the Q4, I'm liking how the bike feels performance wise. I'd love to get it dyno'd but there isn't anyone around here with that kind of setup. dunno

Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 6:48 pm

**EDIT** Replaced the 2 3.75 1/2 resistors with a proper 1/4w 7.5k one, re-solderded it in and siliconed the piss out of the plug end so no moisture will get in there. thumb No CEL thrown by the ECU, so I'm not gonna go WTF when I end up SOL on the side of the road and go AWOL. Very happy

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:53 am

mtb wrote:
Ooh... Lesson learnt! Thanks! thumb

Wolfie... have you taken it out for a spin with your homemade sub?

(Actually I think we should call the sub the CEL eliminator instead... According to Yamaha Motorcycle Technical Guide ... The valve drive is operated on the basis of information about RPM,
machine speed, throttle opening/closing speed, the gear the
transmission is in etc. This combines with the ignition timing control
to achieve outstanding response.
And I am not 100% that the sub we have can actually behave as it should... I am even thinking of putting back the servo motor and modify my pipe like this guy did in SMJ)

I think the question is, does the servo provide information the ECU and does this feedback affect fuel and ignition
In my experience, they dont really use feedback the ECU simply assumes the servo is doing what it's supposed to and the valve is where it's supposed to be
They need the processing power for other thing's so the test circuit really look's to see that the servo is there and within resistance spec
I spent the time making the servo sub but after I got finished I convinced myself that we are overanalyzing it and all we need to do is make the light go away
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 11:50 am

The light want away with ONE little resistor, not a bunch and diodes.

DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass IMG_1043

edteamslr

PostSubject: Exup bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Not sure if anyone out there has encountered this problem but I created two servo bypass circuits and when I fitted them to the bike in place of the Exup it worked for 10 seconds and then I got an Error1 (the usual ECU screwed, short circuit etc.). I unplugged it and refitted the servo and it went back to the usual errors (EXUP stuck open - because I'd removed the cables, of course). It did this with both circuits I'd made.

Shewolf - how are your resistors holding out? Any probs. Might try your single resistor-job later..

Anyone know how to bypass the speedo sensor. My speedo produces strange numbers and I'm out of warranty. I'd like to get rid of the error light and just use my GPS instead. (I'll get it fixed one day)
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 3:46 pm

So far my one little resistor is holding strong and hasn't thrown any code...and I've done a lot of rough stuff with him. DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass 61865

edteamslr

PostSubject: thanks   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks. I've just spent some time with my exup in pieces trying to figure out how a single resistor does so much DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass 61865. Like why doesn't the exup motor whirl every time you turn the key? The potentiometer accounts for 3 of the 5 wires coming out of the exup - if I isolate the gears that turn the potentiometer and plug the exup into the loom it still gives an error even though the motor is in place!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26567922@N00/3990502907/?rotated=1&cb=1254948987855

I'll try your 7.5kOhm trick tomorrow..
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 10:55 am

I made my servo up today and it still displayed the 17 code.
This was because I had dry soldered the reistors so it looked like they were good but if you jiggle the ends of the wire left sticking out they move slightly.
All I needed to do was re-solder so they don't move and it worked.
Anyone who has had sub trouble this is most likely why it happened. thumb
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: EXUP servo eliminator   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 8:09 pm

Does anyone know if the home made EXUP servo eliminator posted in the Yamaha R1 sites using the resistor & capacitor really works 100% on the WR? Anyone here make a better one or are we stuck with spending $65 for the Graves? Any useful insight or suggestions would be welcome.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:08 pm

I jammed a couple of resistors (would have used one but I didn't have one of the correct resistance value) wired in series into the connector plug for the EXUP servo.
It's been working since I first got the bike, 2,600 miles ago. :)
Back to top Go down
sswrx

sswrx

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 11:15 pm

Got a wiring diagram? I read that some people get a check engine light on decel with the clutch lever pulled in using the resistor trick.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 7:46 am

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793736&highlight=exup+eliminator

It's so simple, you don't even need a wiring schematic. :)

When I first did this, my CEL (Check Engine Light) would sometime light up, but after a couple of days, it went out for good and hasn't returned in a couple thousand miles of riding.
I'd try this trick first and give it a shot before you do anything else. :)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:44 am

If you read through entire thread you'll see that one guy had issues with it.

I wonder if he ever got it worked out?

One 5 cent resistor vs. a $65 doohicky from Graves???? DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass 911463

I want to know what Gargoyle ended up doing.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
tblumer

tblumer

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 1:54 pm

for what it's worth, the graves one has a nice connector and looks alittle more official than a resistor jammed in the plug. is that worth $65, not to me.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 7:41 pm

motokid wrote:
If you read through entire thread you'll see that one guy had issues with it.

I wonder if he ever got it worked out?

One 5 cent resistor vs. a $65 doohicky from Graves???? DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass 911463

I want to know what Gargoyle ended up doing.

I was curious too, so I sent him a pm over on Advrider. He's happy with the Graves. I'd love to try the resistor trick, but have no doubt I'd screw it up. I know absolutely squat about such things.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass   DIY servo - Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass Empty

Back to top Go down

Cheapest DIY Servo Bypass
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next