Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Training for racing.

Go down 
+5
motokid
SheWolf
millert85
YZEtc
47une
9 posters
AuthorMessage
47une

47une

Training for racing. Empty
PostSubject: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyMon May 23, 2011 7:12 am

It has been a goal for a long time to race in one of the bigger races here in Australia like the two day navigational safari style race the Condo 750. Here is where it gets difficult though, I have never raced any bike in any sort of race before.......and here is the real kicker, I am a pretty ordinary rider.

What I would like to know is where do I start? What sort of riding and racing should I be doing to build myself up to a respectable level? I am not aiming to be a hardcore racer or finish amazingly well in any races, I just want to participate and hopefully not come last..
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyMon May 23, 2011 7:33 am

Don't know what is offered in your country, but over here in Connecticut in the USA, you'd be steered toward an event that is not even an actual race, and is basically touted as being for fun and camaraderie, not race wins, guts and glory.

In other words, not really a race at all, but an organized trail ride called a turkey run, where guys can play at racing each other if they so choose.

We also have dual-sport turkey runs that are supposed to be run over easier terrain to allow for some of the land-going oil tankers some call dual-purpose bikes.

These events would introduce you to what the whole experience would be like while being in (supposedly) friendlier terrain and (hopefully) gentler hands. :)
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyMon May 23, 2011 8:20 am

first thing that will kill ya is the licencing requirements for a race like the condo. you will never get entry without a Motorcycling Australia race licence.

find your local MX club, try some practice days, small club days and build from there. you dont need to go all out and have a MX bike, i got a customer that competes on a wr250f with the blinkers pulled off. only runs in c grade, but is just starting out and having a blast.

once your running well enough for your liking, ask around the club of any enduro events (things like a pony express, many do 2hr events, that sort of thing), hell even get in and help plan one. I see your on the sunny coast, one of my rep's lives up that way and his company are very big in the MX scene in qld, i will ask (if i remember). once you've tried a couple single day enduro events and your spending the money (something like $280p/y) on your licence (then you can register your race number too thumb ) then start looking into things like the condo, A4DE, and Finke.

Next thing is fitness, any of those races are gonna do your body like a $2 whore when the navy's in town. start now, and hit the gym. you'll want full body workouts (as aposed to isolation training specific muscles) and LOTS of cardio.

Third is bike prep and equipment. These are long hard races, and people do die competing in them. being setup to carry sufficient fuel, water, etc and having the skills needed for trackside repairs is essential. having the correct safety gear and using it correctly just as much.

Four, Support. financial is one thing, but emotional too. its an expensive and tiring thing you want to do. not only will you most likely need help paying for setup and other expenses, you need help preping the bike and you'll need a support crew out there. Write a plan, keep a record of what your doing and when, what you plan on doing. Create a race resume. Use this to get your financial help from local bike shops, hotels/pubs, supermarkets, jewelers, everyone. approach them and tell them your dream, explain what you've done to get there and what your still doing. if you can show effort i bet not many bike shops will with hold help. dont expect the world tho, times are tough, but if you walked in to my shop 2moro armed with that info and a glint in your eye, i'd give you cost price parts and personally help you with labour.

IMHO, from what you've said, i would be working on something like a 3 year plan to get there.
1. run local MX and build bike skill and fitness
2. continue 1 and add local enduros and up fitness regime
3. increase 2, chase support and prepare to chase you dreams.

i hope i haven't bored you or talked you out of it. just be prepared and work for it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyMon May 23, 2011 8:28 am

Awesome reply!! Thanks for the info. That is basically everything I needed. My mate who I have ridden with a number of times just competed in the Condo this year and we are at about the same level of riding.

I will sus out my local motorbike club (Gympie Motorcycle Club) and get involved with them and enter a few Entry Level races etc and see how I go.

Your post definitely did not put me off, it has spurred me on!!!
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyMon May 23, 2011 10:46 am

Go get your dream, hon! cheers

47une

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:32 am

Thanks!!

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 6:03 am

Totally different, yet completely the same....sort of, but not really.

Nothing helped my roadracing fitness more than spending great amounts of time on a mountainbike.
Off-road, or just riding on pavement.

It's cross training, fitness training, and on two wheels.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:45 am

Good call. I will have to pump up the tires on the Mountain Bike and get back out there on that on weekdays to get the fitness up.
Back to top Go down
RT3856

RT3856

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 12:17 am

I raced for a long time and one thing nobody told me.
ride. and ride. then race at your level.
Losing sucks but crashing hurts and sucks.
Funny thing now I ride at a "safe level" and surprisingly go fairly fast.
Not AA, or pro fast but! fast enough to not be last.
Ride safe and ride lots. Training for racing. 379944
Unless you want to be a pro the smiles will be the biggest payoff Training for racing. 61865
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 1:56 am

47une wrote:
Thanks!!

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Yes... Race the guy in the mirror.

IOW: There is always someone faster, better equipment, more prepared, more competent and in better shape. You will not likely beat them.

...but as a starting place:

1) Plan to finish. You will never win if you do not finish.

- Practice and plan for "on the trail" repairs, recovery and survival.

2) Record your own "Lessons Learned"; Implement them.

- Both of what TO DO and what NOT TO DO.

3) Remember while you are racing, that everyone else out there (in your "outback") may crash, be broke and need help.

- If you see someone down, stop and help them. Pay it forward. You may be the guy broken down or hurt that they stop and help.

4) Have a clear grasp on your own competency;

- Live to ride another day.

- The best race is one you can put it all back in the truck and drive it all home in one piece.

5) Be safe. Have fun.

- Don't take it all so seriously that it ruins the competitive experience.

6) Smile a lot.

- People will think you know something they don't.

X-Racer
Back to top Go down
Tammy

Tammy

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 6:45 pm

fitness x 1000000000000.
Riding a mountainbike or any bike will help a lot. You really need to be fit for it to be safe and fun. One thing that helped me was to ride really hard rocky trails. The workout it would give me was more then I would do in a gym and riding really tuff stuff made me a better rider.

Oh and one thing to remember. If your out there racing/riding and you think your last your not. Cuz there are a lot of people sitting on there ass wishing they could be out doing what your doing but don't have what it takes to put there butt on the line and go for it...

Just get out and do it and be safe but have fun and you will always be a winner..
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks heaps for the advice guys.

X-Racer - awesome advice there I am making sure about the fun factor and the smile. I am definitely not doing it for the glory, just the fun!

Tammy - That is brilliant, I love the thinking about not being last, I will remember that one for sure!!

I have done up a bit of a track on my farm to start "Training" on. It is just a track through some paddocks and a bit of bush, no jumps or anything technical. I can see that fitness is a major thing. Riding with aggression I can only last a few laps before I have to slow down, practice practice practice will be the key. Lots of riding.
Back to top Go down
47une

47une

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 8:01 am

Hi all,

Just to update you as to where I am with all of this. I have entered into any races or trail rides yet because I have been flat out with other things. But I have finished the track on my farm and I am riding it every day. I haven't timed myself or anything, but I know I am getting faster.

Here is a vid of me on my track. It is not really showing you how fast I am because I was trying to just make a movie and you can't get into the flow of the track when you are just doing little sections just to get the shot. Anyway, here it is:

Back to top Go down
Subaru297

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Nice video. Considering video usually appears to slow things down a bit you look like you are riding pretty fast to me. thumb

As far as training and practice goes I would see how many laps you can do without ever sitting down. It will be a great workout and will make you faster as well. I used to sit all the time and then was not dirt biking for a few years and started Mtn biking. Not sure if that was why but when I returned to dirt biking I now stand all the time and I have much better balance and control of the bike. I now only sit for really sharp corners.
I also find transitioning from sitting to standing takes time, energy and concentration that I would rather be using on bike control.

Have fun.
Cheers Canuckistani
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training for racing.   Training for racing. Empty

Back to top Go down

Training for racing.
Page 1 of 1