Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

riding with pillion on a wr

Go down 
+5
sanluissound
gatorfan
motokid
bigg
flydnb
9 posters
AuthorMessage
flydnb

riding with pillion on a wr  Empty
PostSubject: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 8:44 am

Dam its hard work , anyone else found it hard work , I don't know why they bother with rear pegs to be honest, I did 50 miles with my girlfriend on the back and felt like id been to the gym .
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 9:02 am

I agree it's pretty tough. You gotta wrestle the bike into the corners, and the handling is completely gone. and you're really asking too much from the front brake (at least for the R).

I've done 2 up several times, and think it is doable as long as the ride is short, and you aren't trying to ride crazy twisties.

still, it takes pretty much all the fun out of riding this bike. def not meant for long 2 up rides/touring.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 9:26 am

We're talking about what's basically an under-powered bike (relatively speaking) with a high center a gravity (relatively speaking) here.

If you're not radically changing how you pilot the bike when you add a passenger, then you are seriously asking for "an adventure".

Especially if your passenger isn't a highly experienced passenger.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 2:18 pm

I figure the rear pegs protect the bike in a fall - especially on the exhaust side - so I left them on. Also nice for strapping down luggage.
Back to top Go down
flydnb

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 2:19 pm

gatorfan wrote:
I figure the rear pegs protect the bike in a fall - especially on the exhaust side - so I left them on. Also nice for strapping down luggage.

yeah good point mate.
Back to top Go down
sanluissound

PostSubject: Training weight   riding with pillion on a wr  EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 4:52 pm

My daughter is 90 lbs or so and a very good passenger but it's a dynamic load none the less. For all the reasons that have already been mentioned I also find two up to be a less than enjoyable process.

BUT, I've got some longer trips with a lot of weight planned for this summer and fall - hitting the sandy roads with my precious cargo on the back sure does fire up my core muscles and heighten my awareness - when the kid gets off the bike I feel like a jet pilot!

I'm not advocating using children as training weight wink but I have noticed a difference in my physiological tuning thanks to our weekly rides.
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 6:26 pm

I usually only ride my kids on the back.

But, I also keep them for emergencies. What if my buddies bike breaks down in the boonies we can't fix it? You think riding two-up is hard with pegs? Try without them.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Rusty Shovel wrote:

But, I also keep them for emergencies. What if my buddies bike breaks down in the boonies we can't fix it? You think riding two-up is hard with pegs? Try without them.

thumb thumb
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Rusty Shovel wrote:

I left mine on for awhile thinking they might come in handy at some point like you.

Then one folded down and stabed me in the leg while getting the bike unstuck, it hit me in the boot so it didnt hurt but my leg was stuck to the peg and it ripped my pants getting unhooked so I took em off it was pretty anoying lol.
Back to top Go down
34wrc

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 12:44 am

I was thinking about taking my girl for a blast on the back.

Did anyone increase their rear preload? If so by how much?

Am thinking about adding 5 mm preload. Any thoughts????
Back to top Go down
jckid

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 6:02 pm

I've never ridden with a passenger on my WR, and I don't plan to except in case of emergency, but I wonder if part of what makes it less than enjoyable is the height of the bike. My mom and dad rode double on a TW200 for years, and not just on the road. They did a lot of fire roads, and even some singletrack once in a while. They did this well into their 60's. My dad never complained about riding with her on the back, and she weighed about the same, if not slightly more, than him. Of course they rode double for years, starting in the 1960's. At 70, my mom won't ride on the TW off-road anymore, but still rides on the back of dad's cruiser and the TW on the road. I once rode my dad's TW with him on the back, and he out weighs me by almost 50 lbs. It actually seemed fine to me. But maybe it was because the bike sits much lower than the WR.
Back to top Go down
flydnb

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 7:15 pm

jckid wrote:
I've never ridden with a passenger on my WR, and I don't plan to except in case of emergency, but I wonder if part of what makes it less than enjoyable is the height of the bike. My mom and dad rode double on a TW200 for years, and not just on the road. They did a lot of fire roads, and even some singletrack once in a while. They did this well into their 60's. My dad never complained about riding with her on the back, and she weighed about the same, if not slightly more, than him. Of course they rode double for years, starting in the 1960's. At 70, my mom won't ride on the TW off-road anymore, but still rides on the back of dad's cruiser and the TW on the road. I once rode my dad's TW with him on the back, and he out weighs me by almost 50 lbs. It actually seemed fine to me. But maybe it was because the bike sits much lower than the WR.

possibly, the suspension dives a lot on the front aswell under breaking so you get that force of the pillions weight on you , so I imagine a lower bike with less dive will be more comfortable, its funny I have a Yamaha dt 125 r 2002 as well and we both find that more comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: riding with pillion on a wr    riding with pillion on a wr  Empty

Back to top Go down

riding with pillion on a wr
Page 1 of 1