Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stock gas tank range

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
titanpilot

Stock gas tank range Empty
PostSubject: Stock gas tank range   Stock gas tank range EmptyWed May 25, 2011 8:55 pm

I have been trying to decide if I really want to get a larger gas tank. So I did a little testing. (sorry if this has been done already) My bike is stock...
On Monday I did a ride to the local foothills near a lake. I wanted to ride in various situations in real world riding style. Some flat straight road, some curves and some dirt road. Total ride was just over 140 miles.
I took 2 30oz MSR fuel bottles so I could ride until I ran out of gas just in case there was no gas station close.
I went 87 miles until the reserve light came on. I was then able to go another 36 miles until the engine stopped. Total miles was 123 from a full tank. The variable would be I don't know if I had 1.9 gal or if I was able to squeez in 2.0. Its close either way.
If my math is correct I averaged somewhere between 62 and 64 MPG. I ran the bike pretty hard on the road (up to 75 mph) and much slower on the 20 miles of dirt. I did not ride it to try and get the best MPG.
The way I break it down for every 2 oz of fuel I can go 1 mile.
If I carry one 30 oz fuel bottle I can go approx 14 extra miles. If I get a 1 gal fuel bag ( good for 60 + miles) and take two 30 oz bottles that should give me me a extra range of approx 89-91 miles. Add that to the range of the stock tank (123 +-) and I get a total range of 212 miles (+- depending on variables like air temp, wind, altitude)
So the bottom line is I can ride to our local high mountain areas and putt around for awhile and not worry about gas. Just like my KLR 650. (which is for sale) cheers
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

Stock gas tank range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stock gas tank range   Stock gas tank range EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Fuel mileage varies per rider, riding condition, gearing, etc. Some of us get/got in the upper 70's (mpg)or more, some in the 60's and 50' s. The lower mileage usually is cause it's been ridden hard an put away wet...depending on who's riding it. Very happy You can hypermile it like Wayne did, which so far has been the highest yet. I think he got around 86 mpg...

Stock gas tank range
Page 1 of 1