Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

set up advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mucker

mucker

set up advice Empty
PostSubject: set up advice   set up advice EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:02 pm

bought my bike used
i lowered the seat and the stock adjustment/ including forks.
i'm a noob
seems fine or close for off road...but the road seems harsh and stiff.
for my first tweak, should i decrease compression dampening , for the road...and switch back and forth
...or what?
..ya, i know tire pressure...

Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

set up advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: set up advice   set up advice EmptyFri May 27, 2011 10:59 pm

I softened both the front and the rear, along with the sag. It actually felt fairly decent doing that. The thing is what my settings I ran might not work for you due to possible weight difference. I also ran lower tire pressure on the pavement too; 22 up front and 18 on the rear.

mucker

set up advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: set up advice   set up advice EmptyFri May 27, 2011 11:09 pm

i measured my sag at about 2 3/4"...but did it wrong?...should have unloaded it completely, i guess.
I measured free standing height to , my ass on it, height.
Back to top Go down
spacecadet

set up advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: set up advice   set up advice EmptyFri May 27, 2011 11:58 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I softened both the front and the rear, along with the sag. It actually felt fairly decent doing that. The thing is what my settings I ran might not work for you due to possible weight difference. I also ran lower tire pressure on the pavement too; 22 up front and 18 on the rear.

i love a soft front and rear, and hell a little sag makes speed bagging easier. set up advice Rimshot
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

set up advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: set up advice   set up advice EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:30 am

Oh man what have I created... GAHHHH Very happy My sag is three threads from the top, and it's nice and plush. I didn't measure it, I just started cranking until it felt nice and responded the way I wanted it to. The bike isn't really set up for lighter riders, which is why the shorter springset and rebuild did wonders. thumb

mucker

set up advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: set up advice   set up advice EmptySun May 29, 2011 12:11 am

today...i softened the front 2 clicks...found out the rear compression was backed off all the way to begin with...
pumped the 606's to, front to 22 and the back to 18.
a lil less grip off road, but predictable. A lil softer in the whoops, but controllable...I don't jump yet...heh.
Much better on road...tho still gets a bit squirrely at hwy speed...tho, again, predictable/controllable
Tire pressure seems like the most difference to me.
Next time i'll log exactly where my clicks are...was surprised to see the rear maxed out...specially since i was gonna try backin it off...guess i ride like a wimp..but with attitude...heh
Double checked my sag...3.5"...bled my forks, tho nothin to bleed.
I weigh bout 180, not incl. gear...and don't have allotta gear yet, tho, workin on it
Anywho, lookin forward to my next trial...

Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

set up advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: set up advice   set up advice EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Had a decent ride yesterday.
1 1/2 hrs or more at 110 kms/hr , to get there. Mostly rocky dbl track, with huge, rocky puddles in the low spots...alotta big, basketball, round rocks everywhere. Open, but a lil slow. Only dropped it once, which is great for me. Different from what Im used to.!st and 2nd.
Before we hit the trail, I stiffened the front and back 2 clicks....front back to the same , with the back up 2 clicks, for what Im used to.
Worked well on the trail...faster I went, more I attacked it, the better it rode. A good day for me.
...then I took my buddy's '10 stocker for a blast. That thing worked good...tracked way straighter than mine. Even with trailwings, I could go way faster on his, with confidence, than mine. He reciprocated after taking mine for a bit.
At speed, mine gets a little twtchy feeling, where his just kept getting faster.
After a night of drinkin, I headed back the 1.5 hr trip. Bike seemed to track better than ever at 110 km/hr . Only change was a couple clicks stiffer, like stated. Seemed way better than day before, at same setting. Not sure why the ride back felt better...maybe psychological.
Anywho.
I now wonder how much the stock lowering trick, affected handling...?
I need to log exactly where my clicks are now, just to confirm for myself.
Makes me want to undo what i've done, just to see if it it improves...to what I know it could be. I've never rode stock settings.
Nothing seems to be broken or out...except for a slightly bent, back, spoke.
I've been unpleased with my tires...and wonder if it has nothing to do with them...
Anywho, compared to my buddy's '10, mine is a twitchy , nervous, wreck...and all along I thought it was me...lol
Any comments plz...

When at hwy speed, every single gust of wind seems to resonate through the bike...like a controllable speed wobble, almost constently. Same goes at speed on the trail, just more obvious on hwy. thought it was me getting used to things...now I'm not so sure.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

set up advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: set up advice   set up advice Empty

Back to top Go down

set up advice
Page 1 of 1