Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

When is low mileage TOO low....?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
morrow7x

morrow7x

When is low mileage TOO low....? Empty
PostSubject: When is low mileage TOO low....?   When is low mileage TOO low....? EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:22 pm

a couple used wr's on the local craigslist, both 2008 models.

one is just under 500 miles, the other is under 200....

anything i should be looking out for on a used bike that has basically just sat for a year or two?

i'm thinking new battery and maybe a preemptive fuel pump, is the fi likely to need anything? if it starts and goes with no stumbling.....?

thanks for your input!

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: When is low mileage TOO low....?   When is low mileage TOO low....? EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 pm

morrow7x wrote:
a couple used wr's on the local craigslist, both 2008 models.

one is just under 500 miles, the other is under 200....

anything i should be looking out for on a used bike that has basically just sat for a year or two?

i'm thinking new battery and maybe a preemptive fuel pump, is the fi likely to need anything? if it starts and goes with no stumbling.....?

thanks for your input!

Some people just don't get the bike. Some don't have time. Some get into other things.

Make sure the bike was stored properly.
Make sure the bike starts.
Make sure it runs and shifts through all gears.
Make sure you can rev it to the rev limiter.

A good test drive before you buy it would be imperative.

See if you can have the bike looked at by a reputable motorcycle mechanic.

I wouldn't shy away from a low mileage bike.
I would be more diligent in making sure it was stored properly and that is would currently run well.

Fresh oil, fresh gas, clean fuel system.

I would not buy sight unseen. I would not buy if seller would not let me test drive it.

I would be highly suspect if seller balked at the idea of having a mechanic inspect bike, even if I was lying about having said mechanic lined up and waiting.

Any time you buy used you are taking a gamble.

As somebody else said here once - look at the sellers other things around his/her house. If things look well cared for you might be really lucky.
If seller lives in a shit-hole....walk away and don't give them your real name or address.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SoupSandwich

SoupSandwich

PostSubject: Re: When is low mileage TOO low....?   When is low mileage TOO low....? EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 5:06 pm

+1 on everything motokid stated above. I am a firm believer in the statement about what kind of condition the seller's house/car/garage floor tells a lot about how he treated the motorcycle, (although this isnt always the case but is a great rule of thumb) My only other piece of advice would be to not become attached to the bike, always be willing to walk away and sleep on it. If you can bring some one you trust who has an unbiased opinion, they are usually the ones who can pick out any blemishes or problems with the bike. GOOD LUCK!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is low mileage TOO low....?   When is low mileage TOO low....? Empty

Back to top Go down

When is low mileage TOO low....?
Page 1 of 1