Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?

Go down 
+3
proview
asheville thumper
Jäger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? Empty
PostSubject: How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?   How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Well, I'm not going to make a habit of running my fuel tank empty with that fuel pump in there. On the other hand hand, having seen vague references to an upgraded fuel pump being installed in the last few days and having purchased the five-years-total Y.E.S warranty... why not. But anyways...

The other day, having my buddy on his KLR acting as my fuel tanker, I ran the tank dry while ambling through Glacier National Park. All the miles in the park probably averaged out at 25 mph with tons of stop and go with construction, me stopping to drag my DSLR out, etc. All the slab from Whitefish to the Park, and the East side route around the park from St. Maries home probably averaged about 60 mph.

The motor started stumbling for gas at 144 miles. 35 of those miles was on reserve, running the slab up over Mariah Pass with a gale blowing in my teeth. I'll do it one more time on a typical Forest Service Road ride, which my GPS tells me usually results in a moving average of 35 mph. I expect my range/milage will be much better than what I got when running the slab through the mountains into a gale.

Any other WR250R riders done this to find their range on dual sport rides?
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?   How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

The very first tank of gas I ran in the bike I went 136 miles and it started shuttering. I did not run completely out, but was darn close.
Back to top Go down
proview

proview

PostSubject: Re: How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?   How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:11 pm

I've only run it dry a couple of times. First was 25 and the last was 29 miles(hwy)
Back to top Go down
proview

proview

PostSubject: Re: How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?   How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 1:25 am

Oh sorry budah
29 after the light comes on and 90-100 miles to that point. FMF Q4 pipe
and controller. That all road, quite a bit less off road of course.
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?   How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Today I pushed the reserve to 39 after the light came on. When I filled up I put in exactly 1.9 gallons. I wasn't sure I was gonig to make it.
Back to top Go down
10Cup

10Cup

PostSubject: Mileage   How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 5:20 pm

I now get 225 GPS miles to a dry tank.... Aquiline 3.6 gal Safari tank.
Back to top Go down
boogn1sh

boogn1sh

PostSubject: Re: How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?   How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:37 pm

That is awesome 10Cup! I still have a larger tank on my wish list....
PS: Sounds like you are having fun on your Adventure! Be safe and take lots of pictures for us back home ;-)

=========================================
Here is my contribution to the fuel economy discussion:

13/46 gearing, AIS removed, HF airbox flapper mod
FMF PP, Power Bomb header and Q4 pipe
D606 tires
Tank and saddlebags holding approximately 35lbs. with 150lbs rider plus riding gear

50 miles of pavement (GPS reading 71-86 MPH), 30 miles of hard trail riding (jumps, wheelies, hill climbs, creek crossings)

Odometer reading 81.3 miles (fuel light came on at 75.3 miles)
GPS reading 77.0 miles
Total fuel usage = 1.534 gals of Premium 91 octane.

ODO = 54.17 MPG
GPS = 50.19 MPG

That is a far cry from the 70+MPG I read some people reporting, but if I can top 50MPG, I have nothing to complain about.
Back to top Go down
BluePill

BluePill

PostSubject: Re: How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?   How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 6:04 pm

FWIW: I have a total of 6600 miles on my '08, completely stock. Best MPG was 77 on a fairly level road run at 45-60 mph, easy touring with friends. Most times I'm at 55-60 MPG riding local twisties and dirt roads full throttle whenever possible (25% of the time). Worst was all-out muddy, rocky, up & down trails, got low 40's. I'll bet that if you could graph avg. horsepower vs. mpg it would track almost exactly. Even though I have a 3 year Y.E.S., I add gas within 15 miles of reserve light going on to keep the pump cool. I carry two 1 quart oil bottles filled with gas in a plasitc fishing tackle box on my rear rack - not cool or pretty, but cheap and works just fine. That gives me a very comfortable 120 to 150 mile range.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?   How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 3:40 am

Best was running loaded up on the TAT from Boise City, OK to Trinidad, Co, 155 miles, 2.021 gallons when I filled up.

Worst was a high speed run in OK trying to make it to HF's house, also on the TAT and loaded up. Pretty sure I only made it 90 miles before it started sputtering. Then again, those 90 miles were with a damn strong head wind, tucked down, and the throttle to the stop the entire way. Very happy

Usually I hit reserve anywhere from 90-100 miles, and usually fill up when the light comes on but I've gone as far as another 30 miles pretty regularly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?   How far do you run on a tank and on reserve? Empty

Back to top Go down

How far do you run on a tank and on reserve?
Page 1 of 1