Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:29 am

Hello all-

Just bought a 2008 wr250x with about 9k miles. Came with an fmf powerbomb exhaust, servo removed, backfiring, stalling a tad, error code 17 and kinda dogvomit throttle response. Has no powercommander. Is that going to be my next purchase asap? Thank you all in advance.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 6:44 am

error codes <-- clicky

Your error code is your servo motor. Easy to fix. Find the sticky about it.

What other mods were made to bike? Airbox opened? AIS removed? Air filter?

You may need an efi programmer if the bike has been opened up a lot on both ends.

Stalling from idle is tricky. There's a way (taco mode) to check your rpm's at idle. A sticky here on that too I believe.

I would really check the airbox, air filter, AIS system, and rpm at idle to have a better understanding of what was going on.

I would definitely begin a search for a programmer based on what little information you've given so far.

Good luck. Post more info if/when you can.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
0007onWR

0007onWR

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 pm

These bikes are fuel fussy
Mine had 10 minutes of absolutely terrible running a couple weeks ago and just cured itself
It popped, stalled, sputtered and every other thing
So, make sure you have decent fuel before you start diagnosing stuff and remember you can't change the fuel in the rail so you have to run it through
Back to top Go down
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Thank you very much for the great responses! Part of the reason I went with the WR is the great community here.
Got pasted on my KLR650 last August by a Suburban on a cell phone. Had alot of downtime mending a crushed foot
and spent months researching my next bike. Can't wait to get this one running perfectly. Still doing searches on the
airbox, AIS, Air Filter etc. Bike is still very new to me and trying to fumble my way around it lol. Going to Radio Shack
to try and locate resistor for the error code. Airflapper seems entact. Will search more forum posts so im not horse
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 7:46 am

Has the problems you have been there since you bought the bike?
Or are they recent things that have popped up?

How long have you owned it? How many mile have you put on it?
How many tanks of gas have you run through it?

If your flapper doohicky is still there, and that silver solenoid thingy on top of your airbox (under your seat) is still there I'd guess there's been
very little done to your bike on the intake side.

The AIS should be easy to see. On the front side of the cylinder, next to the exhaust header, is there a smaller silver looking tube coming out of the engine? Maybe half-inch in diameter at most.

If you can see that tube I'd say the previous owner did not fiddle with the AIS either.

For reference to some of this look here: click me <-- clicky
A wonderful look at the general parts involved in the Airbox mods and AIS stuff.

One other thing you can easily see is the air filter and airbox door. Take off the side panel on the brake side.
Is the airbox door there? Open the door and see if there's a K&N filter, or something else? Some people have found that mice have built nests in that area. eeek

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 3:58 am

Problem has always been there. Only seems to stall from idle when cold. Took her on a 200 plus mile ride today and blew the carbon out of her.

Now shes parked until I get new rubber. Had to limp it home 30 miles with front flat by sitting on the tail light lol. (full story in home before dark forum)

Running like a champ now. Only thing that has been done to my knowledge is fmf powercore slip-on and servo removed.
About 3 tanks of gas through it now.
Flapper doohickey is still there.
Air filter was pig filthy. (prob had something to do with it)

Thank you again motokid for the great info and links.

DH
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptySun Jun 19, 2011 8:11 am

Hopefully a clean air filter, some full throttle blasts, and some really fresh premium gas will "fix" your issues.

Keep us posted of your progress with bike.

Happy Sunday.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 3:57 pm

I now have a bike that is running like it is off the lot. Did the airflapper/AIS removal and holy sheeeet!!

Thanks again motokid for the great advice

DH

Last edited by dirtyhippie on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 4:32 pm

So, let me be clear.

You have a complete FmF exhaust, flapper removed and AIS removed correct?

But - NO EFI programmer either? Right?

All sources say you are running dangerously lean.

To be fair - none of us here have ever heard of anyone doing serious internal damage due to over-lean conditions.
That includes here, and at SMJ, ADVrider, and TT.

However, you should still really consider some kind of EFI programmer so that you don't become the first to register such an issue.

The theory is - these bikes come lean from yamaha. Opening the breathing and exhaust means you are even leaner.

You need the EFI to richen up the mixture a bit.

That's the theory anyway.

Take it for what it's worth.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 12:42 am

Believe it is the FMF Powercore 4 slip on and appears to be stock header. EFI is next thing in pocketbook.

As I am currently being dry humped by WA state DOL for $800 for buying two out of state bikes.

I'll try and do some searching to see what is a good bang for the buck and user friendly.
Back to top Go down
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Update*

Went for a ride today and filled up and topped off tank. Low fuel light came on after 48 miles. No idea.

Can this be a condition of running lean? I'll get this thing figured out eventually.

Thanks in advance.

DH
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:15 pm

Wait...what?! eeek You mean to say you had a full tank of fuel, and after only 48 miles your low fuel light came on? How much fuel could you see in the tank?

motokid

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:44 pm

When you stopped fueling did you see gas basically just below the filler hole ridge?

Do you stop putting fuel in just before it overflows the tank?

If so - something is quite wrong.

How much gas has it taken to refill the tank?

Running too lean should NOT mean you burn fuel at almost twice the rate of normal.

I would fill tank to see how much gas you actually used.

See if your low fuel light goes off when you restart bike?
See if light stays on even after refueling.

Keep us posted.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:51 pm

I just put 1.6 gallons in as soon as low fuel light came on after 48 miles of topping off tank last time.

Topped off is roughly 1/2" from top. no idea...

any way it could be a setting on computer that could be put back to factory settings? (i.e. 3 button config on speedo)

Thanks again guys

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Damn....no leaks from gas line or fitting or anything?

1.6 gallons only got you 48 miles?????

That's not right at all.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm wondering if your fuel sensor is crapping out....it shouldn't do that.

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 9:35 pm

SheWolf wrote:
I'm wondering if your fuel sensor is crapping out....it shouldn't do that.

Damn, seems I always find things with headaches lol. Guess I'll start reading more forums.

No visible gas leaks or fumes.

My car is getting better gas mileage LOL. Thinking the bike is parked until i figure this out.

If anyone runs across a link with the same problem please post. Thanks

Rich
Back to top Go down
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 2:17 am

Ok pulled sparkplug to see for any symptoms of lean/rich and this is what i found

Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? Sparkplug

Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? Sparkplug2

Any ideas? Will the bike be alright for woods riding this weekend?

Just ordered FMF EFI Programmer from Biohazard. Hopefully here soon.

Thanks again all
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 7:00 am

Only time I ever pulled and checked my plug it looked like this:

Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? DSCF9039

Installing a FmF fuel programmer will add fuel to your mixture - which will not solve your most recent issue of burning through 1.6 gallons of gas in 48 miles.

Any chance you simply didn't reset your trip odometer and the 48 miles was not a correct reading?

Just wild-ass guessing here.....not implying anything... Shog

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Reset odometer again and will burn up another tank to make sure. Just wanted to make sure I'm not going to break anything.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:56 pm

I can't promise anything about breaking or not breaking anything.

Just trying to sound things through and cover the easy bases.

Good luck dude.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 5:15 pm

Ok .... its official

Im retarded :duh:

Ive been working on this resistor mod as well as all of these other mods.

Have been disconnecting the battery to try and reset servo code. (which doesn't work btw) Which resets trip odometer. /facepalm

DH
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Not retarded.....just frustrated, which makes us all not think straight some times.

So you think you reset the odometer between tank refills when messing with the servo stuff?

So you probably didn't use 1.6 gallons in only 48 miles?

That's a relief if that's the case.

Don't beat yourself up. Have a beer. freaky

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
dirtyhippie

dirtyhippie

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Mileage seems normal. (60ish mpg give or take a few)

Just installed FMF power programmer and used 10cup's map setting from thumpertalk and took her out for a quick one.

Absolutely night and day from how it was running. The throttle response is perfect now. Accel is much more beefy too.

Gonna ride the pants off of her this weekend.

Thanks again motokid and have a happy 4th everyone. beavis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?   Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas? Empty

Back to top Go down

Backfiring, stall from idle, ideas?
Page 1 of 1