Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

need more top speed and power.

Go down 
+8
Pistonman
X-Racer
jason meacham
SheWolf
skierd
f3joel
motokid
kparks
12 posters
AuthorMessage
kparks

need more top speed and power. Empty
PostSubject: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:35 pm

So I got a stock wrr and the speed limit for the most part where I live is 65 or 70 mph so at times I have this bike well trying to do 85 and its just struggling bad and I also don't want to ride it wide open all the time.. what are a couple things I can do that are not expensive and don't void the warranty to help out and won't ruin gas mile too much .... Thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:42 pm

Gearing.

But if you want more top speed, or lower rpm's at 75 to 80 mph, you'll have to sacrifice the low end grunt.

Go up one tooth on countershaft sprocket.

Cheapest mod you can do to increase top end speed and lower rpm's at any given speed.

IMHO - this will make for taking a very boring stock bike and making it even more boring.
But that's just me.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
kparks

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 5:52 pm

That's what I was worried about I was thinking about putting a exhaust on it but I'm not sure.. I need more power its almost impossable to merge on the highway As it is........ I'll spend the money to get it right just not sure what to get and I don't want to put too much money into it is what I mean..
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Putting exhaust on means removing/disconnecting EXUP and stuff, and I'm not sure what that does to warranty.

Why are you spending time riding freeway?

Go back roads.

These are not freeway/superslab commuters.

They are mini-adventure bikes and/or supermoto's.

They are not designed nor intended to spend time at 75mph on freeways.

Go explore the back roads, twisties, and trails.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
f3joel

f3joel

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 6:30 pm

depends how much power you want...
I don't want to say spend the money on a programmer and exhaust if it's not going to be enough in the end.
It is for most....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 6:32 pm

kparks wrote:
what are a couple things I can do that are not expensive and don't void the warranty to help out and won't ruin gas mile too much .... Thanks everyone.

This is the part I was focusing on. deal

What's the thing you're most willing to compromise on?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
kparks

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 6:43 pm

When I ride alone I do but sometimes I got places I need to get in a hurry lol and when I ride with my buddies most of them have sport bikes.
Back to top Go down
kparks

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 6:48 pm

f3joel wrote:
depends how much power you want...
I don't want to say spend the money on a programmer and exhaust if it's not going to be enough in the end.
It is for most....
its like I was doin 74mph or so and I needed to speed up to get over and the bike just didn't have it in it sojust a little more i guess should do
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Get smarter friends.

There's nothing you can do to keep up with sportbikes on straight, open roads except get a different motorcycle.

You bought a 250cc single cylinder dual sport, more dirt oriented motorcycle.

It is what it is.

Embrace that and forget about keeping up with sportbikes on superslabs.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
kparks

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Smarter friends??? Were not doing nothing dumb around hear if the speed limit is 70 u can do a little over 80 and not get pulled over its not like there riding on one tire or nothing I just need a little faster to keep up on the highway is all I want I use mine off road mostly but I would like to be able to do highway speeds that's all and the bike how it is stock will almost do it I just need a little more
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:08 pm

A full exhaust, programmer, and airbox mod will give you the speed bump you want, but it voids the motor warranty if the dealer wants to be an ass about stuff. Either get a 14t front sprocket or a taller rear tire with stock gearing to help cruising smoothness.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:12 pm

1) gearing - change gearing to get what you want

2) exhaust - slip on or full system

3) EFI programmer

4) Air box mods and AIS removal

One of those is free, one is pretty cheap (relatively), and two are rather expensive.

Most of us have spent close to $500 to get a few more ponies, and some have spent $1000 or more on turbo kits, and big-bore kits.

It'll take around $500 or so to get right around 29-30 horsepower or so. A few percent increase over stock.

There are all kinds of threads here on the 4 things listed above. Search around and decide what you want for your kind of riding.

If you want lower revs at higher top speeds with little cost and no warranty breaking, the first thing I'd recommend is a one tooth larger countershaft sprocket.

You'll sacrifice low end grunt, but that's a trade-off you have to weigh.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
kparks

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks for all the feedback what kind of exhaust do u all use?? If it voids the warranty can't u just put the stock stuff back on if something does happen?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 9:59 pm

FMF Q4 seems to be the most popular. You can switch it back if you have to but it's a PITA.

motokid

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 10:00 pm

kparks wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback what kind of exhaust do u all use?? If it voids the warranty can't u just put the stock stuff back on if something does happen?

Yes - you can uninstall the aftermarket and reinstall the stock stuff if you keep it all.

Many have the FmF Q4 exhaust, some have Powercore, some have Graves, Barrell 4 (or something like that), Leo Vince, Yoshimura.....

Read around the forum. There's lots here.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
kparks

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 10:08 pm

I really like the way the yoshi pipe looks and sounds do they make a header for of or would I have to go with the fmf to do that combo
Back to top Go down
jason meacham

jason meacham

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Hello, I say just do the mods like alot of us have done and you will be more happy..when I bought my wrr I was going to leave it stock until my 4 year extended warranty was up but then I came across this forum and it's been all out with the mods ever since......I put on an fmf exhaust,fmf fuel programmer,k+n air filter,47 tooth rear sprocket,and removed all the emmisions crap,,,this has made a big difference,,,,also, this bike likes it in the higher rpm zone... good luck ,,Jason
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 pm

kparks: Others may have a different opinon, but I'm not afraid to tell you that if you plan to ride fwys most of the time and expect to ride at 70-80 MPH, sorry bro, but IMO you bought the wrong bike.

No matter what you do it's only going to make an incremental difference and you are asking for a "little more", but a little more isn't going to catch you up "merge on the highway" comparison to liter (or even sub-liter) sportbikes.
Back to top Go down
kparks

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 12:11 am

X-Racer wrote:
kparks: Others may have a different opinon, but I'm not afraid to tell you that if you plan to ride fwys most of the time and expect to ride at 70-80 MPH, sorry bro, but IMO you bought the wrong bike.

No matter what you do it's only going to make an incremental difference and you are asking for a "little more", but a little more isn't going to catch you up "merge on the highway" comparison to liter (or even sub-liter) sportbikes.
the bike actually rides a lot better than I expected at 75mph no I don't plan on riding mostly highways I would say my normal speed would be about 60 or 65 mph on road I mostly ride off road tho...
Back to top Go down
Pistonman

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:23 am

How about going to a 42 tooth rear sprocket like an X?
It will give you a little more top speed without giving up as much low end as a 14 tooth front.
I just took one off of my X with 1500 miles on it, I will never use it again- you would have to chip the rubber off it ,pay shipping and it is yours.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Wrong bike dude.
Back to top Go down
Marioscario

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:30 pm

The WRR`s are geared very tall as it is. Youtube has videos of bikes doing 94 mph (dont know about the accuracy). If you switch to a 14T on the front or drop a tooth or two on the back I think it loses too much on the low end. Plus I just don`t think the bike is that nice to ride past 65 mph at least with out a bigger fairing. It is what it is so ride it like a dirt bike for which it is awesome or stay off the superslab. Personally I think the best bang for your buck is to remove the EXUP, and other emissions crap, flapper valve etc and get a fuel programmer. I think the FMF or Q4 exhaust get less increase relative to the cost. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Kparks: Have you considered a more street oriented tire to make holding 75 a little more comfy and safe? The front tire especially makes a difference at top end.
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 9:24 pm

I posted in a different thread on the topic of windscreens but I guess it should be repeated here.

I can cruise comfortably at 85 MPH with my admittedly-tall windscreen mounted. It moves most of the windblast over my head with only some hitting my faceshield (street helmet). Without the windscreen the bike struggles at 75 MPH. Motor-wise my WR is bone-stock. To me, the windscreen is like free horsepower. With the motor untouched it still pulls down 71 MPG which is important to me. I haven't voided the warranty. The windscreen comes off in minutes when I want to off-road it. That's my 0.02 for what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
oldirt

oldirt

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 2:24 am

kparks, this will sound backwards but is real and functional: DON'T gear the bike taller if you want to go faster down the frwy. Just the opposite, gear it lower and enjoy all the benefits of power and speed. You will like the lower end for trail riding and have better acceleration for entering the hwy's. These bikes do not have enough horsepower to fight the resistance of wind drag. I am geared 13/46 with all the bells and whistles and in 6th on the frwy top out about 90 (actual), 4th gear topped out to the rev limiter is 75 (actual) so 2 more gears and only 15 mph :hmmm: 13/46 is a good starting point from stock, depending on your offroad riding 47 or 48 rear sprocket would be better. I have taken my bike everywhere with 13/46 gearing, Bishop/Mammoth, Cali deserts and all the asphalt I can stand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need more top speed and power.   need more top speed and power. Empty

Back to top Go down

need more top speed and power.
Page 1 of 1