Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

top speed indicated

Go down 
+6
flydnb
wristpin
oic0
motokid
pbnut
inroads
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
inroads

top speed indicated Empty
PostSubject: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 9:50 am

Probably been covered.I just got my 2008,bone stock,and it went 94 un-assissted wind,sitting up straight 1/2 mile. What did you get?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Know that this is only indicated, and not actual speeds.
Back to top Go down
inroads

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 12:38 pm

understood.my 94 x .92= 86.5 mph
I also apply this 8% when calculating my MPG
Now I'm gonna take the air filter door off and see if there is a difference.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:39 pm

inroads wrote:

There will be a difference - but be careful.

You'll be making a somewhat "lean from the factory" bike a lot leaner..... perhaps dangerously lean. Remember

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
inroads

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 2:02 pm

I thought the FI would sense more air and adjust accordingly and if I'm wrong your saying only attempt WFO runs with the door off with adjustable aftermarket programmer?
Back to top Go down
inroads

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm

So of I go up or down in altitude FI compensates. So why wouldn't it sense that I have more air as if I went down in altitude with the door off?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 2:33 pm

The fuel injection can only compensate for tiny changes.

Massive changes require an efi programmer.

When you change the intake and/or exhaust from stock, most people recommend you get a programmer to add more fuel.

Which is why almost ALL of us have one.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
inroads

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 2:46 pm

FI compensates more than a little when you go from sea level to 13,000. Not sure I follow you.
Back to top Go down
inroads

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 2:50 pm

Only true way for me to know would be to do a plug reading,I reckon.
Back to top Go down
inroads

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 2:58 pm

The EPA leanness in all these bikes is read by the Feds down off idle and in the mid range.I do not believe the manufacturers have any reason to lean out the wide open throttle area at least not in respect to emissions testing.
Back to top Go down
inroads

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 3:13 pm

I believe "everybody" is getting these $200 FI tuners to fine tune their intake and exhaust mods.I believe there are quite a few people who put on pipes without buying the controller. Bottom line is I don't wanna buy a controller just so I can run with the door off.All I care about is getting free cheap HP without flat spots in the rev range and not seizing it on WFO runs.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Whatever ..... it's your bike. Do what you want.

top speed indicated Column_April_7_image_640_427_s640x427

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 4:27 pm

inroads wrote:
understood.my 94 x .92= 86.5 mph
I also apply this 8% when calculating my MPG

Don't calculate any error on fuel MPG unless you have changed your gearing. The odometer is correct :( they just purposefully fudged our speedo.

Anyhow, mine goes up to around 93-95 if im sitting up, will climb up to about 98 if I lay down. My gearing is about 1% lower than stock.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 5:14 pm

On my bone stock 08 I got it up to an indicated 94mph on the speedo full tuck going downhill.
Back to top Go down
flydnb

PostSubject: 90 is fast enough   top speed indicated EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 3:12 pm

on a little bike like a wr, its actually quite impressive how quick it gets up to 80 considering its a 250 single 4 stroke, I remember the old rd 250 2 strokes and im sure the wr would beat it up to 80.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 12:23 am

flydnb wrote:
on a little bike like a wr, its actually quite impressive how quick it gets up to 80 considering its a 250 single 4 stroke, I remember the old rd 250 2 strokes and im sure the wr would beat it up to 80.

I dunno. Rd250s had a top speed in the 90s just like the wr, but are MUCH MUCH more responsive to mods. For about the same price as the pipe and programmer I got my rd350 to 50+HP. (Pipes, shaved head, banshee reeds, porting, 34mm carbs). OK maybe a bit more Lol, but not much more. Course it won't go 50k miles between rebuilds or get 60mpg.
Back to top Go down
inroads

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:23 am

My 1984 RZ 350 stock made about 39 RWHP. 2 add ons, Toomey air box and pipes brought it to 52 RWHP.
300 lb WR250r @ 23 RWHP vs. 350 lb RD 250 @32 RWHP.Probably close race to 80 MPH.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:28 am

inroads wrote:
My 1984 RZ 350 stock made about 39 RWHP. 2 add ons, Toomey air box and pipes brought it to 52 RWHP.
300 lb WR250r @ 23 RWHP vs. 350 lb RD 250 @32 RWHP.Probably close race to 80 MPH.

Hard as heck to find any real hp numbers on the RD250 and yamahas quoted numbers were at the crank. :( Probably darn close to the WR to the rear wheel. Although... I do wonder what difference the 5 speed gearbox in the RD would make. Course then you pipe them and the WR gains 2hp while the RD gains 7-10 and its no longer fair.

Then I find myself wondering... why am I spending so much time pondering this lol.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 4:25 am

A long time ago a mate had a "bombed" RD250, which easily out-paced most 600 4 stroke road bikes, but even in stock form i'd have to say that i think the power delivery of the 2 Stroke RD would smoke the WRR/X.... I mean another 2 stroke comparisen would be to put the WR up against a YZ250 - in which case i'm sure most of you here would expect that the WR would get properly hosed. ( I admit that the YZ gearing would be much, much lower than the road going RD, but still those old RD250's rev many 1000's rpm more than the YZ ). It's also like a horse power comparisen of an old school V8 to a "rice burner" rotary engine - big diff in output readings, but the little rotary gets it's power band from the huge rev's - just like a 2 stroke. ( Power to weight will be similar / relative, but the main performance factor is the delivery of the power band ).

My first ride impression of my WRR when i brought it new last year was that it's acceleration & power delivery was most comparable to something like a 125cc 2 stroke dirt bike. ( Although i haven't ridden a 125 MX for many, many years - so i could be totally outta the ball park here... but in any case i'd still stand pretty firm on the RD250 v's WRR statement ).

In any case i'd still take my WRR over some old relic RD anyday. lol.

Cheers guys.
Back to top Go down
66T

66T

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 am

Not meaning to be smart here, but I very much doubt whether even a modern single-cylinder 250 2stroke would rev any harder than our TTRs and WRRs (both 10k max, I think).

However, there's no way they'll get the mileage our bikes can. But I venture to say given equal traction and equal riders a good enduro smoker wouldn't have much trouble hosing my WRR.
Back to top Go down
flydnb

PostSubject: i had an rd 250 lc   top speed indicated EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 7:23 pm

back in the 80s, and I can assure you the wr is quicker to 80 mph, you have to get the wr singing but I would put money on a stock wr against a stock rd 250 lc.
Back to top Go down
WeAkSaUzE

WeAkSaUzE

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 7:02 pm

With a 12T CSS I have to set my SpeedoHealer to -17% in order to have the speedometer match the speed on my Garmin. Before the 12T CSS (OEM gearing), the SpeedoHealer was set to -12% or -13% to match the Garmin. I have never owned a bike as far off as my WR, -8% is what 3 of my Suzuki's need to be correct.

top speed indicated Wr02
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Just for fun I held it pinned over the long long bridge on the way home today. Bounced between 97 and 98mph displayed for a mile or so. Probably could have gotten higher if I had layed flat, I was just sorta leaning forward. Tempted to try again, i want to see what the speedo does when it hits triple digits lol.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 12:50 am

oic0 wrote:
..........i want to see what the speedo does when it hits triple digits lol.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

^^^ Well mate i'll just let you in on the hot tip for this.......what will happen is that your speedo will display a 3 digit reading...so nothing to special or tricky there. ( Apart from the fact that it won't be a genuine indication if you do see the "magic imperial tonne"  lol ).

Here in OZ we have metric reading speedo's, so to see a triple figure display is a daily occurance.
For the record here, i have seen a best of 145 kph with a corrected speedo. 

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
WeAkSaUzE

WeAkSaUzE

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:48 pm

GT-250 wrote:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

^^^ Well mate i'll just let you in on the hot tip for this.......what will happen is that your speedo will display a 3 digit reading...so nothing to special or tricky there. ( Apart from the fact that it won't be a genuine indication if you do see the "magic imperial tonne"  lol ).

Here in OZ we have metric reading speedo's, so to see a triple figure display is a daily occurance.
For the record here, i have seen a best of 145 kph with a corrected speedo. 

Cheers.

145 kilometers/hour = 90.0988229 miles/hour, that's totally believable, is that with a stock or modified bike?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: top speed indicated   top speed indicated Empty

Back to top Go down

top speed indicated
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next