Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR

Go down 
+3
taoshum
trav72
stormsearcher
7 posters
AuthorMessage
stormsearcher

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:16 pm

hey inmates, i have a wr250r thasts proved itself thro many deserts(east to west of australia)-29,000kms .
i want to tour US and south america with it.
now after talkimng with some others i want to tick of one more thing on the 'to do' list- the baja 1000.
researching bikes. i like the wr250r. with a few tweeks-pipe, programmer,lights, i think i can have a very reliable bike for the less than 250cc class.
after w3hich ni can use it to tour the continent etc.
any1 thinking of something similar or any ideas? cheers Maddy

trav72

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:22 pm

haven't seen anyone attempt it on the WRR yet. Do it and take lots of pics and video!!
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:54 pm

You do know that the average speed of the other vehicles is often over 100mph, right? Plus talcum powder dust like you have never seen before, right?
Back to top Go down
trav72

trav72

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 pm

taoshum wrote:
You do know that the average speed of the other vehicles is often over 100mph, right? Plus talcum powder dust like you have never seen before, right?

Shhhhh!
Back to top Go down
stormsearcher

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:54 pm

trav72 wrote:
taoshum wrote:

Shhhhh!

R U telling me that evrerybody on the track in all classes are pulling 100mph speeds?how come one guy finishes at 19.20 and the rest maybe few hours later?
and is the 100mph speed aversage count for class 50,40, sportman class etc?
yeah talcum powder like dust is called bulldust in australia.
Back to top Go down
jimrobinette

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:37 am

stormsearcher wrote:
trav72 wrote:
taoshum wrote:

Shhhhh!

R U telling me that evrerybody on the track in all classes are pulling 100mph speeds?how come one guy finishes at 19.20 and the rest maybe few hours later?

Well, the winning speed usually averages about 52 mph over the entire course. If you look at the distance divided by max allowed time, it usually is somewhere in the 25-32 mph area for most SCORE races. So, factor in pit stops, tire changes, riding through god forsaken terrain and silt, and you start to get the idea. There are sections where almost everyone is over 80 mph. And the only reason they are at 80 is that they can't keep up with the other bikes and trucks that are well over 100, even the sportsman classes. Now once you get on public roads, SCORE limits you to about 60 mph. Amazing to see a Trophy Truck coming down the dirt trail at night at over 100 mph with enough lighting to make you think it is the second coming! wings
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 1:49 am

I say go for it mate...

I'll take ya out and ride with and help you train on some fast So Cal Mojave desert with ya.

I'll even keep the fire and radio comms going while you train-ride all night ! * chuckle *

....although you'll want to ride my race-winning 450 CRFx after following it all day. Very happy

If you can keep the rubber side down, the bike shouldn't have any problems.
Back to top Go down
combo

combo

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 3:06 am

Why go all that way to Baja when you have something better in your backyard? Touring N & S America will give you enough riding over there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-_NN4pJFDQ
http://www.gasdash.com/

Quote :
from the 27th to 30th October. Entries open 30 June.
Back to top Go down
stormsearcher

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 5:39 am

combo wrote:
Why go all that way to Baja when you have something better in your backyard? Touring N & S America will give you enough riding over there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-_NN4pJFDQ
http://www.gasdash.com/

Quote :
from the 27th to 30th October. Entries open 30 June.

the gascoyne dash?
i have ridden east to west thro deserts.just rode the wapet track a few ago to complete the ride. was a track from hell. took me 48hrs+to do 500kms.some places i could only do 10-15kmph.
just want something different.different country to ride. a bit bored riding oz. so its winter everywhere and the baja seemed like a good idea for a holiday.
still researching the subject.
my wrr has done 29k kms of hard desert tracks.i just love the 'bulletproofness' of the bike.
was planning S.america. anyway lets hear all the ideas, comments etc and see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 1:27 pm

jimrobinette wrote:
stormsearcher wrote:
trav72 wrote:
taoshum wrote:

Shhhhh!

Well, the winning speed usually averages about 52 mph over the entire course. If you look at the distance divided by max allowed time, it usually is somewhere in the 25-32 mph area for most SCORE races. So, factor in pit stops, tire changes, riding through god forsaken terrain and silt, and you start to get the idea. There are sections where almost everyone is over 80 mph. And the only reason they are at 80 is that they can't keep up with the other bikes and trucks that are well over 100, even the sportsman classes. Now once you get on public roads, SCORE limits you to about 60 mph. Amazing to see a Trophy Truck coming down the dirt trail at night at over 100 mph with enough lighting to make you think it is the second coming! wings

AND, if you are in their way, they won't see you and won't even notice the "bump" they might feel when they run over you 'cuz you are smaller than some of the Whoop-de-doos on the route. The big trucks only have about 600Hp; 22" of suspension travel, 40" tires and even with 20,000 lumens of light they can't see more than 100ft ahead. If you want to ride Baja, at least do it 2-5 times from Ensenada to La Paz/Cabo without the race vehicles to worry about. Once you start to get familiar with the terrain and routes and can run it in less than 30 hours, then try to hook up with a support crew so you can actually have fuel at the re-fueling points. The GPS tracks from many previous races are on the web. Be aware, if you are by yourself, if you break down and have to walk out to get parts you're going to need to bury your moto and remember where it is or it won't be there when you return. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
stormsearcher

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 3:06 am

i thought if the trophy trucks caught up with a rider the best thing to do was pullover ,have a rest and watch them beasts go thro.?
i hear you guys and respect the knowledge and info you are sharing on this thread.
Back to top Go down
taoshum

taoshum

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 12:32 pm

If you can pullover, that is really wise if you want to stay alive. Sometime go out to a remote region and have someone come by you at 100mph+ on a dusty road at the same time have someone off to your side rev-up an un-muffled V-8 to about 4,000 RPM. Then while you are looking ahead, try to figure out when to pullover and how much time you will have to get out of the way. Also figure that there might be another similar truck or buggy about 3 seconds behind the first vehicle, who cannot see at all because of the dust. Without incredible riding skills and a support crew you could become MIA. There's no SAR system in Mx.

It's your call, obviously, but it's kinda like a war zone... usually, without missiles or RPGs. Very exciting though.

You might wanna consider a desert race in Arizona or Nevada as a starting point. Go look over the AMA racing schedule for off-road events. Much less risk, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
team510

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 3:27 am

do it!!

you guys are worried about throphy trucks running him over??? they will be looooong gone! is a stock 2wheel vw beetle can do a wr250r would be fine! big ims tank! more lights!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAJA 1000 ON A WRR   BAJA 1000 ON A WRR Empty

Back to top Go down

BAJA 1000 ON A WRR
Page 1 of 1